Thread: Staniforth Centre Option

vCash

Staniforth Centre Option

Staniforth centre option
    By Wayne Smith
    November 21, 2006 THE on-off Test career of Western Force midfield player Scott Staniforth is set to be dramatically switched on again.

Staniforth is a new centre option for Australia after the 21-6 shutout by Ireland at Lansdowne Road.

In strictly pragmatic terms, not a whole lot went right for the Wallabies in Dublin, other than the scrum, which finished well on top of an Irish pack not especially renowned for its set-piece work.

Otherwise, the pickings were slim, a not-too-bad performance from the lineout and yet another fiesty display at halfback by Matt Giteau, even if this was one occasion when the Wallabies really might have been well served by George Gregan and his 127 Tests worth of experience.

By process of elimination, it was established Giteau will remain at halfback for the final Test of the European tour, against Scotland in Edinburgh on Sunday AEDT), after coach John Connolly virtually ruled out appearances by him at either five eighth or inside centre.

As for the resurrection of the Mat Rogers-Steve Larkham experiment at five eighth and inside centre, the Wallabies coach quickly knocked that on the head as well.

"I would doubt that," Connolly said, implying that one or the other would start at five eighth, the other, at best, off the bench.

The selectors could stick with the experimental monster midfield pairing used against Ireland, Stirling Mortlock and Lote Tuqiri, but there was little in evidence at Lansdowne Road to encourage them to continue down that path.

Individually, both played well but there was no cohesion between them, especially in defence, and after a while it became painfully obvious Irish skipper Brian O'Driscoll was developing a real liking for the attacking channel outside Tuqiri.

Enter Staniforth. Although his five Test appearances, spread over eight seasons, have all been on the wing - most recently his 16-minute cameo in Dublin as a replacement for Clyde Rathbone - he came to the Force's rescue as an inside centre this season and just might do the same for the Wallabies at Murrayfield.

Certainly he will have at least one of the three selectors strongly pushing his case, armed with Staniforth's powerhouse game at inside centre for Australia A in its hard-fought win over Ireland A in Limerick last week.

Still, even if the 28-year-old misses out on selection at inside centre, it would not surprise if he won a place in the starting side as a winger, with Rathbone's chronic handling problems causing him to lose his grip on the No.14 jersey.

The release lof the Australia A team to play Scotland A in Perth tomorrow morning (AEDT) makes clear how radical an approach the selectors intend to take for the Edinburgh Test.

Certainly any player with Test aspirations would dread to hear his name announced as a starter in the Perth match - and not just because the game is likely to be played in Arctic conditions.

Virtually by extrapolation, those frontline players not named for Perth will start in the Test, and it is a safe bet now, after their strong showings off the bench against Ireland that Queensland hooker Stephen Moore and NSW loosehead Benn Robinson, will start in the front row for the Test.

Most likely Guy Shepherdson will be retained at tighthead, although Rodney Blake did win back some support on the selection panel with his quality scrummaging performance in Limerick.

Although Mark Chisholm claimed some quality lineout throws in extremely difficult conditions against Ireland, he failed to make any real impact around the field, bringing Australia A captain and second rower Al Campbell into the selection frame for Murrayfield.

And the 52nd-minute substitution of George Smith for number eight Wycliff Palu at Lansdowne Road - "we just wanted someone on the ball with a higher workrate", Connolly explained - pretty much telegraphed a change at the back of the scrum for the Scotland Test.

Although Connolly refuses to rule out a return to the Eddie Jones formula of using two tearaways, Smith and Phil Waugh, in tandem in the backrow, it's more likely the Wallabies coach will simply continue the rotation policy at openside flanker.

This would mean Smith coming into the starting side for Waugh, while David Lyons is finally expected to reclaim the number eight jersey he made his own in 40 Tests - among them the 2003 World Cup final.

LETS HOPE SO...GO SPANNER!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    'bout time they started taking notice....

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Finally, Knuckles noticed that Rathbone hasn't been offering much...I swear that bloke isn't watching the same game as us.

Based on the last three tests and the need for some consistency here is my starting backline for the Scotland test:

9. Giteau
    10. Larkham
    11. Tuquiri
    12. Staniforth
    13. Mortlock
    14. Shepherd
    15. Latham

with Josh Valentine, Drew Mitchell and (unfortunatley) Mat Rogers on the bench.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Ditto Coach, I guess we have all been calling for it but hopefully the "A" non-selection indicates that he is going to start somewhere.
    Also great to see Lyons possibly in with a shot, I wouldn't like to be a Scotsman defending the edge of the ruck/maul/scrum on Saturday!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Same but there is that one spot left in the A squad its gotta be either scott or rathbone heres hoping rathbone but i dont think they would waste scott on the bench in an A game

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    They may put Stanners on the bench for a twenty minute run at #12 just to get his hand in?
    I understand that Fairbanks hasn't been in the most inspiring form so far this Tour, I doubt he will be persisted with.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    heres hoping he not in A squad at all! fingers crossed

vCash
    I dont no what Connoly was thinking he was the WF leading try scorer put him at Inside centre and Larkham at Flyhalf with Gits at halfback. Where will stanners play next year for the Force, your backline will be lethal.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsid3
    Finally, Knuckles noticed that Rathbone hasn't been offering much...I swear that bloke isn't watching the same game as us.

Based on the last three tests and the need for some consistency here is my starting backline for the Scotland test:

9. Giteau
    10. Larkham
    11. Tuquiri
    12. Staniforth
    13. Mortlock
    14. Shepherd
    15. Latham

with Josh Valentine, Drew Mitchell and (unfortunatley) Mat Rogers on the bench.
    Now, that looks sensible. Lets give it a run. Now the forwards?

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    How about:

1. Richard Harry
    2. Michael Foley
    3. Andrew Blades
    4. David Giffen
    5. John Eales
    6. Matt Cockbain
    7. David Wilson
    8.Toutai Kefu

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsid3
    How about:

1. Richard Harry
    2. Michael Foley
    3. Andrew Blades
    4. David Giffen
    5. John Eales
    6. Matt Cockbain
    7. David Wilson
    8.Toutai Kefu
    Wallabies by 70. Sweet

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    I don't support a cam Shpeard inclusion, i support Drew Mitcheels having a go and having Rathbone in the centres.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Regan
    Rathbone in the centres.
    presupposes that he overcomes the dropsies that he has suffered all tour...

whereas when the ball hits sheps he scores...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Shephard the leading tryscorer on tour?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Might as well hand them the match if Rathbone was to go in the Centres.
    He may have enough memory of his early days to cover #13 on an injury during a match but he would be a disaster at #12.
    Very tough, hard hitting, extremely willing, he just can't keep the ball often enough and is custom made as a Winger.
    That said, I think there are two Force boys who deserve the jersey before him.
    Shep also brings probably the best goal kick on Tour to the selection table as well.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.