Thread: Things you can do with absolutely nothing...

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Things you can do with absolutely nothing...

I knocked this off from the unofficial Ulster fansite (here). Damn those irish folk are funny....

Things you can do with absolutely nothing...

Push your eyes for interesting light show:
    (Amusement Potential: 1-5 minutes) See a variety of blobs, stars and flashes. Try to make out things - is your subconscious trying to send you a message? Can you control what you see by pressing different areas with different forces? Would it be possible to somehow see the same effects on TV? Or for that matter, watch TV with your eyes shut doing this?

See how long you can hold your breath:
    (Amusement Potential: 4-20 minutes) Not that much fun, but it sure passes the time. Play with a friend, or try to beat your own personal best. Some tips: hyperventilate before hand, and stay as still as possible.

Try to not think about polar bears:
    (Amusement Potential: 1-5 minutes) This is especially hard, because by trying too much, you remember what you were trying to avoid thinking of. If you try too little, you end up thinking about polar bears anyway.

Scratch yourself:
    (Amusement Potential: 1-3 minutes) Go ahead, scratch yourself now. Even if nothing itches, go ahead. Doesn't that feel pretty good?

Hurt yourself:
    (Amusement Potential: 1-3 minutes) What is pain? Why is it unpleasant? There's nothing physical about it - it's all in your mind. Plus, after pinching yourself for awhile, boredom will seem nice next to being in pain.

Try to swallow your tongue:
    (Amusement Potential: 1-3 minutes) There's not much to say about this one. It is possible.

Look at something for awhile, shut eyes, study after image:
    (Amusement Potential: 2-5 minutes) Another great time waster. It takes about 30 seconds of staring to create an after image, and the image is then viewable for about the same length of time. Fun to combine this one with pushing on your eyes.

Get yourself as nauseated as possible:
    (Amusement Potential: 5-10 minutes) Best achieved by looking straight up and spinning around. Try to be so dizzy you can't even stand up. This is also entertaining due to the "makes boredom seem a lot better" effect (see "Hurt Yourself").

Things you can do with very little:

See what's in your neighbour's trash:
    (Amusement Potential: 20-30 minutes) You can learn a lot about people by what they throw out. You might uncover some dark secret about them. Plus, they might be throwing out something with value that still works, like a VCR.

Watch TV, repeat everything said in Italian accent:
    (Amusement Potential: 5-10 minutes) Sort of entertaining. Fun to pretend the people on the screen are actually talking that way.

Call up people who write editorials you disagree with:
    (Amusement Potential: 15-60 minutes) I'm surprised no one has thought of this before. Unleash your fury on the person who had the nerve to write a letter like that! I'm pretty sure it doesn't qualify as a prank phone call, too.

Make prank phone calls:
    (Amusement Potential: 20-60 minutes) Very entertaining, but requires discipline. Remember - vulgarities don't make a call funny, but getting the other person to believe a ridiculous story will. Even more fun if you get a bunch of people on the line using a Wonderphone and take turns making the calls. One to get you started off: Call McDonald's, try to make reservations.

Pretend all humans will die except for people in the room with you:
    (Amusement Potential: 10-20 minutes) What would you do if this really happened? Would the group stay together, or would there be factions? Who would join what group? Remember, there would only be power for a few days before the plants ran out of fuel or broke. To travel, you would always have to be near cars to siphon gas out of. Best to do with people you know.

Step off a curb with eyes shut, imagine it's a cliff:
    (Amusement Potential: 2-5 minutes) To get any benefit out of this one, you have to have a good imagination. Don't step off immediately, build up to the jump. Study the ravine below. Feel the winds at that altitude. Step off and... AHHHHHH!!!!!

Burn things with a magnifying glass:
    (Amusement Potential: 5-30 minutes) Ants are always fun to use for this, but burning the face of someone you don't like, under some circumstances, can be just as entertaining.

Things you can do with another person:

Have a water drinking contest:
    (Amusement Potential: 5-10 minutes) While the competition is fun, you probably won't feel too good afterward. To give your event an old western theme, slam the cups upside down on the tables after you have emptied them.

Stare at the back of someone's head until they turn around:
    (Amusement Potential: 2-5 minutes) This works on the "I have the feeling I'm being watched" principle. Conduct an experiment--does this really work?

Have a "Who is less competitive" competition:
    (Amusement Potential: 1-3 minutes) Trying to win at this will make you lose. Trying to lose makes you win which makes you lose. Not trying at all makes you lose which makes you win which makes you lose.

Pick up a dog so it can see things from your point of view:
    (Amusement Potential: 3-5 minutes) Think about it: your dog has only seen the house from a viewpoint from 6" to 2' high (15 to 60 cm for all you metric fans). It's never seen the tops of counters, what you keep on your desk, the tops of shelves, etc. Try looking at things from its point of view, too.

Pull out a hair, stick in someone's ear:
    (Amusement Potential: 1-5 minutes) Best done to sleeping people. Added challenge in having no one else around, because then you can't blame it on anyone else. Try to beat your record number of times before the person catches on.

Pour water in hand, make sneeze noise, throw water on back of person's neck:
    (Amusement Potential: 5-15 minutes) Always a good gag. For an even bigger reaction out of the person, act like you're not sorry at all for what they think you did. Comment instead on how big that sneeze was or about how there was a lot of mucus in that one.

and Cap'n Grumpy's additions to te same thread

And for those of you who were following another thread recently (Oh, I do love thread jumping!), try these if you're bored in church/chapel sometime (I imagine, they might work - I wouldn't know, as I don't see how you could EVER be bored there - honest!)

Pass a note to the pianist/organist asking whether he/she plays requests

See if a yawn really is contagious

Slap your neighbour. See if they turn the other cheek. If not, raise your hand and tell the preacher

Devise ways of climbing into the balcony without using the stairs

Listen for your preacher to use a word beginning with 'A' then 'B and so on through the alphabet.

Sit in the back row and roll a handful of marbles under the pews ahead of you. After the service, credit yourself with 10 points for every marble that made it to the front

Using church notice-sheets for raw materials, design, test and modify a collection of paper airplanes.

Start from the back of the church and try to crawl all the way to the front, under the pews, without being noticed.

Raise your hand and ask for permission to go to the lavatory.

Whip out a hankie and blow your nose. Vary the pressure exerted on your nostrils and trumpet out a rendition of your favorite hymn.

Chew gum; if the sermon goes on for more than 15 minutes, start blowing bubbles.

Pretend to be 4 years old

Try to indicate to the minister that his fly is undone

By unobtrusively drawing your arms up into your sleeves, turn your shirt around backwards.

Try to raise one eyebrow

Crack your knuckles

Think about your chin for an entire minute

Twiddle your thumbs

Twiddle your neighbour’s thumbs

Wiggle your ears so that the people behind you will notice (that's my favourite - or it would be if I was ever bored ....... which I'm not ...... - REALLY)

Practice smiling insincerely

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    LOL ... funny or really really bored ?

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    funny....I got an email along the same lines at the same time

Murphy calls to see his mate Paddy, who has a broken
    >leg.
    >
    >
    >
    > Paddy says, "Me feet are freezing mate, could you nip
    >upstairs and get me slippers?"
    >
    >
    > "No bother," he says, and he runs upstairs,where Paddy's
    >stunning 19 year old twin
    >
    > daughters are sat on their beds.
    >
    >
    > "Hello dere girls, your Da' sent me up here to shag yas
    >both."
    >
    >
    > "Fook off you liar!".
    >
    >
    > "I'll prove it," Murphy says.
    >
    >
    > So he shouts down the stairs, "Both of them, Paddy?"
    >
    >
    > "Of course, what's the use of fookin' one?"

vCash
    AS says: Way to many words for my inebriated state.... Evie shut my arm in the car door today....My sarcasm reached an all time high.....Our cab driver was kinda cute....I really cant control he mouse....but my typing is pretty good....

Adore this life
    There is no guarantee
    Could end by tomorrow

vCash
    Oh dear.....it's a quiet news day!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    This thread is gold!

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

vCash
    Hahaha, thats hilarious, the Irish are quite hilarious!

vCash
    lmao .. my personal favourite is the eye one ... I did the all through my chem exam ... okay all through my chemistry class it really it fun! It's like your in space going through hyperdrive ... really fast! woooo!... im amused for more then 5 mins aswell hehehe ... and the steppng of the curb one is best done drunk me thinks ... some curbs can be pretty high up!!!

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."