Thread: Breaking News!!!

vCash

Breaking News!!!

Western Force recruit Drew Mitchell has been felled by friendly fire. Today at training Drew had his jaw fractured after a tackle gone wrong from Clyde Rathbone. Luckily it is believed he will be back training in two weeks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    That a little bit of south african mongrel coming through, Clyde?

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    It was actually Clyde and Cordingly that made the tackle. For those that have sky news active you can see it.

It is unknown whether or not he will still tour.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlcoholicStalker
    It is unknown whether or not he will still tour.
    Tough break (pun intended) if he can't, seems to have finally done what was required to feature in selection for Knuckles.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Rugby

Fortunate ... Mitchell's mouthguard saved the day Pic: Darren Staples

Mitchell suffers 'lucky' break
    By Jim Morton
    October 10, 2006 RATHER than curse his misfortune, Australia wing Drew Mitchell is thanking his lucky stars after breaking his jaw at Coffs Harbour today.

Mitchell sustained an undisplaced fracture, which does not require surgery, after a clash of heads with fellow finisher Clyde Rathbone during a Wallabies contact session this morning.

But a late decision to wear a new bulky mouthguard, after twice opting to leave it behind, has ensured his European tour hopes remain intact.

Mitchell is certain he would have suffered a displaced fracture, ruling him out of the seven-match spring tour, if he hadn't had two late changes of mind.

He actually left the mouthguard - specially made to reduce the damage from jaw fractures - in his room on leaving for training.

"I'm not sure why I didn't pack it (initially) today,'' he said.

"It was a last-minute thing after leaving my room at the hotel, I went back in and grabbed it.

"Then the last thing our kicking coach Ben Perkins said to the team before training was 'don't forget your mouthguards'.

"I warmed up without it and then after the warm-up had to run over a and grab it. I'm pleased I did.''

Mitchell, who clashed with Rathbone's cheekbone as he fell in a ball-and-all tackle by the starting wing, said he only started wearing the new oral protector late this season.

"It's funny the way things turn out that I was lucky to have that particular mouthguard in at the time,'' he said.

"I'm pretty happy. I might stay with it for a while.''

Wallabies medics believe Mitchell will be able to return to contact training when the 37-man squad has its last pre-tour training camp in Sydney from October 24.

He will be joined by lock Dan Vickerman (shoulder), utility back Mat Rogers (knee) and full back Cameron Shepherd (groin) in returning to full training then.

Coach John Connolly has been pleased with the gains Mitchell has made in speed and strength since starting a specific fitness regime after the Tri-Nations.

The 22-year-old was the find of 2005 for Eddie Jones but dropped off the radar this year after an inconsistent Super 14 and a loss of his signature pace.

Halfback Sam Cordingley (foot) today completed his third straight session but Connolly is yet to be convinced he will be fit to tour.

Ominously, the coach said he may make an early call on the Queenslander before Friday's end to the five-day camp.

Meanwhile, the Australian Rugby Union have taken exception to complaints from NSW and former Test flanker Simon Poidevin it has been tardy in re-signing Wallabies vice-captain Phil Waugh.

Talks have started after Waugh indicated he wanted to remain with the Waratahs and Wallabies after the 2007 World Cup.

"Phil Waugh is not off contract until the end of next year, more than 14 months away,'' said ARU boss Gary Flowers.

"It would border on irresponsible for the ARU to start locking away players on a regular basis when they still have more than 14 months left on their current contract.

"There is no doubt he is in our plans beyond the World Cup.''

AAP

vCash
    Clyde I told you not to make it so obvious!!! wait for the World Cup then unleash No Clyde is a through and through Aussie now... pitty

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    you had your chance with him Shaunmarn... want a mop for the milk??

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    bloody politics...

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaunmarn
    Clyde I told you not to make it so obvious!!! wait for the World Cup then unleash No Clyde is a through and through Aussie now... pitty

Ahem, Ahem

Excuse me Shaun, please you need to correct this, His name is "Aussie" Clyde Rathbone, he may have been just Clyde in South Africa, but not now.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco