Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thumbs down to Subi

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Exclamation Thumbs down to Subi

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ontentID=11153
    26th October 2006, 6:15 WST

One in four Western Force members have voted with their wallets against Subiaco Oval as a rugby venue.

A month after the deadline for membership renewals, only 15,000 of the Force’s 20,000-plus members have re-booked their seats for the next Super 14 season, despite getting one more home game in 2007 for a similar price to this year.

Follow-up phone calls to the 5000 hold-outs revealed considerable dissatisfaction with the view of the action, particularly from those who sit behind the posts, which are 45m inside the boundary fence. Even the most expensive seats, facing the halfway line, are at least 33m from the touch line.

By comparison, the corporate facilities, which have a panoramic view of the oval, have almost sold out, with 99 days to kick-off.

“We’ve got a 93 per cent renewal rate so far and they’ll all go,” Force chief executive Peter O’Meara said.

The situation once again throws into focus Perth’s substandard sporting and entertainment facilities compared with other Australian cities.

The Force want the State Government to accelerate the promised expansion of the rectangular Members Equity Stadium to a capacity of 35,000.

They attracted an average of 28,500 spectators to their six home fixtures in their debut season.

O’Meara predicted the Force would get bigger crowds at a suitable stadium.

“We didn’t win a home game this year and I doubt that’ll happen again,” he pointed out.

“When we win more than we lose at home, the fans are going to come in increasing numbers — but only if they’re going to get a decent view. Right now, some of our customers are unhappy — and that’s got to be fixed.

“Put it this way: if you’ve got a five-person family, you don’t want to pay three-bedroom rent for a onebedroom house.

“If the Government’s going to build a bigger rectangular stadium, it may as well do it properly — and I’m hopeful this will happen because so far there’s been good co-operation and a recognition of what needs to be done.”

Three years ago, then Sports Minister Bob Kucera said $25 million would be spent to upgrade Members Equity Stadium from a capacity of 17,000 to 22,000 as part of the bid process to get a Super 14 team.

However, at the time, the budgeted membership for the new club was a mere 4500 and the crowds in the Force’s first season made such a small extension instantly obsolete.

It will take an additional $75 million to redevelop Members Equity Stadium to a size that will cater for rugby’s following in the next two decades, when Perth’s population will pass two million.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Just from the pictures of the stadium it looks like a terrible venue. I wonder if that's the real reason 5000 people didn't renew, or if the team is just using that excuse to apply a little extra pressure.

vCash
    LarrNJ the support for the Force is huge here... the fans want a rugby stadium!

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    can't say it any better than that .. we want a dedicated rugby pitch!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    So we need a better stadium to get more people, and we need more people to get a bettrer stadium?

I think the crowds next year will be the same, I reckon people have chosen not to renew memberships as they know they will always be able to get a seat without them. 5000 fewer members, but 5000 more walk ins is my guess...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaunmarn
    LarrNJ the support for the Force is huge here... the fans want a rugby stadium!
    I'm not questioning that one bit. What I was questioning is what the reason is for not renewing their memberships. Every fan wants a nice stadium especially when the one you have keeps you so far away from the action.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach
    I reckon people have chosen not to renew memberships as they know they will always be able to get a seat without them. 5000 fewer members, but 5000 more walk ins is my guess...
    I was kind of thinking the same thing. If they come out of the gate with a couple of wins you'll have even more excitement and walk up attendence.

vCash
    Who wants to pay top dollar for a mediocre view, when foxtel has "in your face" viewing, and a walk in possie would only cost you the price of admission, not the price of a small mortage and the promise of a miserable position and view...Those 5000 fans are still fans, only they have lost patience with subi ovals crap facilities, and the fact that we are treated like second class citizens by a AFL majority who are losing "fringe members", who are now following rugby...If they win a premiership and the other team finishes in the top three, and they are still nervous regarding their membership numbers, well Rugby must really be a threat then...Get over yourselves AFL supporters, and WA government, and provide decent facilities to the rectangular sports in this state, you cannot be serious if you believe we are still a threat to your own membership numbers....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by frontrow
    Who wants to pay top dollar for a mediocre view
    Too true. Shasta & Mrs Shasta have not renewed, though the major consideration it was not the only one. I also have uncertain work commitments during the season. Our social club has bought a gold membership. So I've already got tickets for the Reds match. We'll still be there with bells on when we can even if we can't get a drink in the members' anymore

Only problem I see is if they shift to ME with only 22000 seats. After a stellar second season there may be a stampede to rejoin for 2008.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta
    Only problem I see is if they shift to ME with only 22000 seats. After a stellar second season there may be a stampede to rejoin for 2008.
    No problem there, those that have been members from the start will get a seat regardless of any stampede.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr
    No problem there, those that have been members from the start will get a seat regardless of any stampede.
    Well we'll just have to get to the front of the stampede then, won't we!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach
    http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ontentID=11153
    O’Meara predicted the Force would get bigger crowds at a suitable stadium.

“We didn’t win a home game this year and I doubt that’ll happen again,” he pointed out.

“When we win more than we lose at home, the fans are going to come in increasing numbers — but only if they’re going to get a decent view. Right now, some of our customers are unhappy — and that’s got to be fixed.
    On one hand he suggests that the numbers will increase once the team start to win at home, by definition he must therefore think that no wins last season is a reason for the drop in numbers.

On the other hand he is using the drop in numbers to justify larger investment in a new stadium as he feels fans haven't renewed because of the poor view.

Can he be right on both counts? I guess so but if he is then why would the 5,000 who didn't like the view last season suddenly decide to pay as a walk-up this season (do they think they will get a better view by doing that?) and as for those who didn't renew because the team didn't win (do they think a walk-up ticket is more likely to see a win?).

The statement confuses me, sure supporters want a purpose built stadium and of course they want to see a winning team, but its more likely the initial push, marketing and drive before the first season encouraged a number of people to take a chance on a sport and a team they knew relatively nothing about, now with experience they either wont come back or will cherry pick certain higher profile games. A drop in numbers always had to be expected didn't it?

Coach you probably have a point about more walk-ups but I would be surprised if that was the case at all games, maybe the Aus v Aus games but not all. Don't you receive some sort of discount for purchasing all games up front, if the 5,000 fans were to walk-up to all games and pay they would end up paying more $ for the same poor view they could have received by renewing, how stupid would that be!

Sucess on the field is what will bring the numbers back, regardless of the facilities. That success in turn will create the environment for new development of stadia...everyone likes to back a winner. This year you will all just have to sing "Stand up for the Western Force" just that little bit louder to make up for those watching the game on Foxtel

Rookie
    vCash
    Hi, Im new to the forum and had a look every so often last season at the site.
    I couldnt get toall the games but watched most on Fox.
    From what the paper says, theremay be a somewht decline in spectators because of the playing at Subi.
    Is this a major problem for the force and even if the force win some games next season as we all think they will, will the crowds forget about the shape of subi and turn up?????

vCash
    Great first post Lock, welcome aboard! From my point of veiw Subi is a crap venue for rugby and the Force deserve a new rectangular stadium. Anyways back to the point you raised I hope that the fans do ignore the facts that it is not a great venue and just go to get behind the team we all love! THE FORCE!!!!

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

Rookie
    vCash
    Does anyone know, or can anyone find out if this rectangular field is a possibility.
    And if so (we would like to think so!) where would it be and when would it be ready for the force?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Welcome aboard Lock.
    Personally I would go and watch the Force play regardless if they were based at a Millennium Stadium or Guildford Grammar in mid winter because they are "my" team and I choose to support them regardless.
    I find it a bit of a cop out to use the stadium as an excuse for not renewing, but each to their own.
    I am grateful that there is an International Standard Rugby team based in Perth and think it is a tad “precious” of us to think that we should automatically have a new stadium as well.
    The fact is that only a privileged few can get or afford these "great seats" in rectangular 20-30k seat stadia and the majority won't be that much, if at all, better off for mine.
    While the Subi seats are set back from the sideline the higher seats are excellent value for money and I know of some Silver seats that provide a better view than my Gold ones.
    I think when the move does happen to a smaller rectangular ground, many of the supporters of the move will be disappointed as they will find themselves at the end of the field rather than along the sideline as they are now.
    I would think that unless you currently hold a Gold Membership you will have Buckley's of getting a sideline seat in a smaller ground.
    I certainly won't be risking it by dropping out now!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast