Thread: Mitchell gets career up and running again

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Post Mitchell gets career up and running again

Dave Hughs
    http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ContentID=8679

Former Fremantle fitness coach Adam Larcom has helped Western Force flyer Drew Mitchell revive his Wallabies career.

After being overlooked for this year’s Tri-Nations series, Mitchell, 22, was one of seven Force players named yesterday in a 37-strong squad for a four-Test tour of Europe.

He joins teammates Nathan Sharpe, Brendan Cannon, Tai McIsaac, Scott Staniforth, Cameron Shepherd and Matt Giteau in the squad that leaves on October 27.
    "Stronger and faster," was Mitchell’s succinct reason for his international recall.

Regarded as one of the finds of 2005, Mitchell was surprisingly dumped when John Connolly replaced Eddie Jones as Wallabies coach earlier this year.

Connolly told the 10-Test player he needed to improve his physical condition and decision making.

Then Connolly asked the Force to withdraw their new recruit from the Australian Provincial Championship to attend a six-week strength and speed course in Sydney.

Wallabies trainer Jason Weber subjected Mitchell to an intensive weights regime and Larcom, who has coached sprinters to the Olympic Games, made him faster.

"It was very intense but I’m feeling great now," said Mitchell. "If I had played for the Force in the APC, I would have stayed at the same level I was at two months ago.

"It’s good to be back in the Wallabies fold but I don’t just want to be a tourist. I’ll be pushing for a Test spot."

Cannon has a good chance of adding to his 40 caps, with his experience crucial if an otherwise raw front row is to improve on the scrummaging disasters of the corresponding tour last year.

However, the inclusion of three other hookers in McIsaac, Tatafu Polota-Nau and Stephen Moore indicates Connolly is far from decided as to his preferred rake.

Wallabies squad: Stirling Mortlock (capt.), Adam Ashley-Cooper, Al Baxter, Rodney Blake, Alister Campbell, Brendan Cannon, Mark Chisholm, Sam Cordingley, Rocky Elsom, Gene Fairbanks, Mark Gerrard, Matt Giteau, Stephen Hoiles, Greg Holmes, James Horwill, Stephen Larkham, Chris Latham, David Lyons, Tai McIsaac, Hugh McMeniman, Drew Mitchell, Stephen Moore, Wycliff Palu, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Clyde Rathbone, Benn Robinson, Mat Rogers, Nathan Sharpe, Brett Sheehan, Cameron Shepherd, Guy Shepherdson, George Smith, Scott Staniforth, Lote Tuqiri, Morgan Turinui, Dan Vickerman, Phil Waugh.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    This is gonna be great for the force in the future, as we will benefit from his wallabies experience, and the training associated. And that says nothing about the confidence he must be gaining every day....

Apprentice
    vCash
    I hope he gets plenty of time on the wing, cause full back belongs to Shepard.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    He'll have to work bloody hard to earn Shep's spot .....

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    I agree - I think that John Mitchell will play him on the wing & leave fullback for CS.

vCash
    Mitch should be on wing, I agree

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    It seems to be the modern game that the back three is made up of 1) a Fullback who can play Outside Centre and Wing, 2) a Wing that can play Fullback and 3) a hard hitting Wing with some abilityin the Centres.
    To that end we appear have the combination right for the Force with 1) Shepherd, 2) Mitchell & 3) Staniforth/Ioane.
    Probably the best back three combination in Australian S14 for mine.
    Hope Drew gets to have a crack at a Test to get some more exposure and get some confidence up having been "dumped".

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.