Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Wallabies squad CONFIRMED: Beale's back and 13 new boys including Cale, ex-All Black

  1. #1
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    961
    vCash
    5008000

    Wallabies squad CONFIRMED: Beale's back and 13 new boys including Cale, ex-All Black

    Five Force players selected in Wallabies squad for Wales & Georgia Tests

    Fri, Jun 21, 2024, 9:05 AM
    Western Force Media


    Five Western Force players have been rewarded for strong 2024 Super Rugby Pacific campaigns with selection in the Wallabies’ squad for the upcoming Tests against Wales and Georgia.

    Kurtley Beale, Ben Donaldson, Hamish Stewart, Nic White and Jeremy Williams have all been selected into the 38-member squad which will assemble for a camp in Brisbane.

    Force captain Williams, 23, and inside-centre Stewart have earned their maiden Wallabies call-ups. Stewart has previously represented the Junior Wallabies and Australia A.

    Beale’s recall, having last played for Australia in late 2021, comes after returning to Super Rugby ranks mid-season with the Force, impressing across the back-end of the season. Beale is five caps away from becoming the first Indigenous player to reach 100 caps for Australia.

    White, who has 63 international caps, and Donaldson, who has seven caps, were both part of Australia’s 2023 Rugby World Cup squad and have retained their places.

    The squad will assemble in Brisbane on Sunday for a four-day camp as they begin preparations for their first Test of 2024 against Wales in Sydney on July 6.

    Wallabies head coach Joe Schmidt said: “There were some very tight selection calls, as there always are when selecting a National Team.

    "The coaching group has looked hard at on-field performances and had ongoing discussions with Super Rugby coaches.

    "We’ve combined the observations we’ve made, with some candid discussion and feel that we have some very good players to start working with, while also acknowledging that there are some good players who have missed selection.

    “We have a short runway into our first Test, so we’re just keen to get to work and make as much progress as we can over the four days we have in Brisbane.”

    Wallabies 2024 Home Tests

    July Tests


    Wallabies v Wales, 5:45pm AWST, Saturday July 6 at Allianz Stadium, Sydney

    Wallabies v Wales, 5:45pm AWST, Saturday July 13 at AAMI Park, Melbourne

    Wallabies v Georgia, 1:45pm AWST, Saturday July 20 at Allianz Stadium, Sydney

    The Rugby Championship/Bledisloe Cup

    Wallabies v South Africa, 12:30pm AWST, Saturday August 10 at Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane

    Wallabies v South Africa, 5:45pm AWST, Saturday August 17 at Optus Stadium, Perth

    Wallabies v New Zealand, 1:45pm AWST, Saturday September 21 at Accor Stadium, Sydney

    Forwards (21)

    Allan Alaalatoa (#896), West Harbour Juniors)
    Angus Blyth (uncapped, Casuarina Beach Rugby Club)
    Charlie Cale (uncapped, Beecroft Junior Rugby Club)
    Matt Faessler (#969, USQ Saints)
    Nick Frost (#953, Hornsby Lions)
    Langi Gleeson (#960, Harbord Harlequins)
    Alex Hodgman (uncapped, Sunnybank Dragons)
    Tom Hooper (#964, Bathurst Bulldogs)
    Isaac Kailea (uncapped, Harlequin Junior Rugby Club)
    Fraser McReight (#937, Albany Creek Brumbies)
    Josh Nasser (uncapped, Easts Rugby (Brisbane))
    Zane Nonggorr (#966, Gold Coast Eagles)
    Billy Pollard (#958, Lindfield Junior Rugby Club)
    Lukhan Salakaia-Loto (#914, Randwick)
    Ryan Smith (uncapped, Caboolture Snakes)
    James Slipper (#843, Bond Pirates)
    Taniela Tupou (#917, Brothers Rugby (Brisbane))
    Rob Valetini (#929, Harlequin Junior Rugby Club)
    Jeremy Williams (uncapped, Wahroonga Tigers)
    Harry Wilson (#933, Gunnedah Red Devils)
    Liam Wright (#928, Easts Rugby (Brisbane))

    Backs (17)

    Kurtley Beale (#836, Northern Suburbs (Sydney))
    Filipo Daugunu (#931, Wests Rugby Club (Brisbane))
    Ben Donaldson (#962, Clovelly Eagles)
    David Feliuai (uncapped, Sunnybank Dragons)
    Josh Flook (uncapped, Brothers Rugby (Brisbane))
    Jake Gordon (#925, Canterbury Juniors)
    Len Ikitau (#944, Tuggeranong Vikings)
    Andrew Kellaway (#943, Hunters Hill Rugby Club)
    Darby Lancaster (uncapped, Kempsey Cannonballs)
    Noah Lolesio (#934, Tuggeranong Vikings)
    Tom Lynagh (uncapped, University of Queensland)
    Tate McDermott (#936, Flinders Rugby Club)
    Hunter Paisami (#932, Harlequin Junior Rugby Club)
    Dylan Pietsch (uncapped, Leeton Phantoms)
    Hamish Stewart (uncapped, Toowoomba Bears)
    Nic White (#875, Maitland Blacks)

    Tom Wright (#939, Clovelly Eagles)

    Unavailable for selection

    Recovering from injury
    Angus Bell
    Harry Johnson-Holmes
    Max Jorgensen
    Rob Leota
    Lachlan Lonergan
    David Porecki
    Blake Schoupp

    Australia Sevens
    Corey Toole

    Heading Offshore
    Izaia Perese
    Izack Rodda
    Lachie Swinton
    Jordan Uelese

    Heading to NRL
    Carter Gordon
    Mark Nawaqanitawase (And Australia Sevens)

    Reds 13
    Brumbies 10
    Rebels 7
    Force 5
    Waratahs 3

    https://www.theroar.com.au/2024/06/2...rst-selection/

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Burgs; 21-06-24 at 13:41.

  2. #2
    Player Kernow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Kalamunda
    Posts
    216
    vCash
    5108000
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    Forwards (21)
    Allan Alaalatoa (#896), West Harbour Juniors)
    Angus Blyth (uncapped, Casuarina Beach Rugby Club)
    Charlie Cale (uncapped, Beecroft Junior Rugby Club)
    Matt Faessler (#969, USQ Saints)
    Nick Frost (#953, Hornsby Lions)
    Langi Gleeson (#960, Harbord Harlequins)
    Alex Hodgman (uncapped, Sunnybank Dragons)
    Tom Hooper (#964, Bathurst Bulldogs)
    Isaac Kailea (uncapped, Harlequin Junior Rugby Club)
    Fraser McReight (#937, Albany Creek Brumbies)
    Josh Nasser (uncapped, Easts Rugby (Brisbane))
    Zane Nonggorr (#966, Gold Coast Eagles)
    Billy Pollard (#958, Lindfield Junior Rugby Club)
    Lukhan Salakaia-Loto (#914, Randwick)
    Ryan Smith (uncapped, Caboolture Snakes)
    James Slipper (#843, Bond Pirates)
    Taniela Tupou (#917, Brothers Rugby (Brisbane))
    Rob Valetini (#929, Harlequin Junior Rugby Club)
    Jeremy Williams (uncapped, Wahroonga Tigers)
    Harry Wilson (#933, Gunnedah Red Devils)
    Liam Wright (#928, Easts Rugby (Brisbane))

    Backs (17)
    Kurtley Beale (#836, Northern Suburbs (Sydney))
    Filipo Daugunu (#931, Wests Rugby Club (Brisbane))
    Ben Donaldson (#962, Clovelly Eagles)
    David Feliuai (uncapped, Sunnybank Dragons)
    Josh Flook (uncapped, Brothers Rugby (Brisbane))
    Jake Gordon (#925, Canterbury Juniors)
    Len Ikitau (#944, Tuggeranong Vikings)
    Andrew Kellaway (#943, Hunters Hill Rugby Club)
    Darby Lancaster (uncapped, Kempsey Cannonballs)
    Noah Lolesio (#934, Tuggeranong Vikings)
    Tom Lynagh (uncapped, University of Queensland)
    Tate McDermott (#936, Flinders Rugby Club)
    Hunter Paisami (#932, Harlequin Junior Rugby Club)
    Dylan Pietsch (uncapped, Leeton Phantoms)
    Hamish Stewart (uncapped, Toowoomba Bears)
    Nic White (#875, Maitland Blacks)

    Tom Wright (#939, Clovelly Eagles)
    https://www.theroar.com.au/2024/06/2...rst-selection/
    I think I am most pleased for Jez and Mish - they are well-recognized for some massive shifts in SR.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gareth Chilcott after his last game for Bath in 1993
    ďI thought I would have a quiet pintÖ and about 17 noisy ones.Ē

  3. #3
    Player
    Join Date
    Mar 2023
    Location
    In a ruck
    Posts
    186
    vCash
    5092000
    Quote Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
    I think I am most pleased for Jez and Mish - they are well-recognized for some massive shifts in SR.
    Yes awesome for those 2. I think kuenzle deserved a spot and Tizzano as a back up 7 and no other genuine 7 in the squad

    Not sure how canham didnt make it or Swain, both easily better than blyth

    4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bullcreek
    Posts
    1,286
    vCash
    5740000
    Great to see some force players like Williams and Stewart. Hope they all go well

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    Contributor .X.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    6,721
    vCash
    -14687739
    some useless information.

    My daughter, the Zoe Monster, went to high school with Darby Lancaster (Rebels, Kempsey Cannonballs). I am trying to get her to put him in contact with me. So I can start the recruiting process for the Force.

    The problem is Zoe claims that she doesn't know him that well, and has only spoken to him a couple of times in 4 years.

    Oh well, I tried.

    6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Exile
    Port Macquarie


    "Let me tell you something you already know. The world ainít all sunshine and rainbows. Itís a very mean and nasty place and I donít care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ainít about how hard ya hit. Itís about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. Thatís how winning is done! Now if you know what youíre worth then go out and get what youíre worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ainít where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ainít you! Youíre better than that!" - Rocky Balboa

  6. #6
    Immortal GIGS20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rockingham
    Posts
    20,729
    vCash
    1460000
    Ok, based upon this first squad I've done some number crunching and selected a likely first pick 23 for the Wales squad.

    My methodology was to list each player's first choice position and any backup position if I beleived they were capable of playing it at International level. Wherever there was a question I went by what they played most in the 2024 season (as that was likely what caught Joes eye)

    Example, I listed Daugunu as a 13 with a backup on the wing (I think he's a better shot at wing than 13).

    I then ranked the likely candidates for each position with a personal preference (eg I placed Kellaway above Wright in fullback because I think Kells is simply a more reliable option, no real science to this) I then picked the best candidate for each number and then compared to the lower ranked players in other positions who were able to play that position.

    The easiest pick? 7, there was only one genuine 7 named
    the hardest pick? 9, I struggled to separate White and McDermott as an overall pick, I think they'll be rotating pretty heavily with horses for courses being the order of the day.

    The list I ended up with went like this
    1 Slipper
    2 Faessler
    3 Alaalatoa
    4 Salakia-Loto
    5 Frost
    6 Wright (but went back and forth with Cale and Gleeson)
    7 McReight
    8 Valetini
    9 White
    10 Lolesio
    11 Lancaster (surprisingly, not many options on the wing)
    12 Paisami
    13 Ikitau
    14 Wright
    15 Kellaway
    16 Pollard
    17 Hodgman
    18 Tupou
    19 Smith (but could easily be Williams, Cale or Hooper)
    20 Gleeson (or Cale or Williams or Hooper)
    21 McDermott
    22 Daugunu (for versatility)
    23 Donaldson (ditto Daugunu)

    If Harry Wilson proves fit, I'd heartily swap him in for Gleeson.

    People who need a run before TRC
    Cale, Stewart (need a look), and probably all the props, because we need them fit to manage injuries.

    Waddaya think? agree? think I'm an opinionated twat?

    Discuss

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

  7. #7
    Player Kernow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Kalamunda
    Posts
    216
    vCash
    5108000
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    some useless information.

    My daughter, the Zoe Monster, went to high school with Darby Lancaster (Rebels, Kempsey Cannonballs). I am trying to get her to put him in contact with me. So I can start the recruiting process for the Force.

    The problem is Zoe claims that she doesn't know him that well, and has only spoken to him a couple of times in 4 years.

    Oh well, I tried.
    You on Instagram? just bail him up and introduce yourself as Zoe Monster's dad - if she hates that idea enough, she might oblige by contacting him herself!

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gareth Chilcott after his last game for Bath in 1993
    ďI thought I would have a quiet pintÖ and about 17 noisy ones.Ē

  8. #8
    Player
    Join Date
    Mar 2023
    Location
    In a ruck
    Posts
    186
    vCash
    5092000
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Ok, based upon this first squad I've done some number crunching and selected a likely first pick 23 for the Wales squad.

    My methodology was to list each player's first choice position and any backup position if I beleived they were capable of playing it at International level. Wherever there was a question I went by what they played most in the 2024 season (as that was likely what caught Joes eye)

    Example, I listed Daugunu as a 13 with a backup on the wing (I think he's a better shot at wing than 13).

    I then ranked the likely candidates for each position with a personal preference (eg I placed Kellaway above Wright in fullback because I think Kells is simply a more reliable option, no real science to this) I then picked the best candidate for each number and then compared to the lower ranked players in other positions who were able to play that position.

    The easiest pick? 7, there was only one genuine 7 named
    the hardest pick? 9, I struggled to separate White and McDermott as an overall pick, I think they'll be rotating pretty heavily with horses for courses being the order of the day.

    The list I ended up with went like this
    1 Slipper
    2 Faessler
    3 Alaalatoa
    4 Salakia-Loto
    5 Frost
    6 Wright (but went back and forth with Cale and Gleeson)
    7 McReight
    8 Valetini
    9 White
    10 Lolesio
    11 Lancaster (surprisingly, not many options on the wing)
    12 Paisami
    13 Ikitau
    14 Wright
    15 Kellaway
    16 Pollard
    17 Hodgman
    18 Tupou
    19 Smith (but could easily be Williams, Cale or Hooper)
    20 Gleeson (or Cale or Williams or Hooper)
    21 McDermott
    22 Daugunu (for versatility)
    23 Donaldson (ditto Daugunu)

    If Harry Wilson proves fit, I'd heartily swap him in for Gleeson.

    People who need a run before TRC
    Cale, Stewart (need a look), and probably all the props, because we need them fit to manage injuries.

    Waddaya think? agree? think I'm an opinionated twat?

    Discuss
    I think you have Wright and Kellaway the wrong way around, other than that it looks good. Donít think Gleeson has done enough for bench spot, would like to see Cale there

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  9. #9
    Immortal Contributor
    Moderator
    Burgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Country WA
    Posts
    23,359
    vCash
    538000
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    agree? think I'm an opinionated twat?
    Do we have to choose?

    Given your methodology it stacks up mate

    In this scenario, if Jumbuck Joe did think Wright a lock-in pick, it wouldn't surprise me if he makes him Captain.
    Alaalatoa is definitely regarded as a "leader of men", but I think our Captain needs to be getting closer to 80 than 60 in a match.
    Slipper and McDermott have both served the role and, with White, suspect will make up the leadership group.
    I'm not a fan of the McReight for Captain proposal as suggested by some and am certainly anti Co-Captain in anything.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

    Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

  10. #10
    Immortal Contributor
    Moderator
    Burgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Country WA
    Posts
    23,359
    vCash
    538000
    Couple of surprises for me:

    Isaac Kailea- started 6/13 to average 44 minutes this year, 6/22 matches in 4 seasons at the Rebels. (Without a full handle on the plethora of Prop injuries it's tricky to advocate an alternative as I have below with Horton. Talakai's omission if not injured may suggest heading Offshore?)

    Josh Nasser- started 1/15 matches to average 23 minutes (if you take away the one 50 minute start that drops considerably) for the season. 6/38 matches in 4 seasons at the Reds (Horton started 14/14 matches to average 64 minutes for the season. 34/58 matches in 5 seasons at the Waratahs/Leicester/Force)

    If you can't force your way into the starting side at Provincial then surely it's premature to expose you at Test?

    Feliuai has been described as "the biggest bolter" by some in the media, but I think that title, Feliuai's season comparatively, should go to one of the Tight's above.

    I'd also think Jake Gordon should consider himself fortunate. He has occasional moments of brilliance, usually for runaway tries, but otherwise strikes me as very pedestrian.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Burgs; 21-06-24 at 13:43.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

    Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

  11. #11
    Immortal Contributor
    Moderator
    Burgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Country WA
    Posts
    23,359
    vCash
    538000
    A bit more detail now in original post.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

    Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

  12. #12
    Immortal GIGS20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rockingham
    Posts
    20,729
    vCash
    1460000
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Owen View Post
    I think you have Wright and Kellaway the wrong way around, other than that it looks good. Don’t think Gleeson has done enough for bench spot, would like to see Cale there
    Yeah, the Wright/Kellaway thing is definitely. a personal opinion, I put Wright on the wing because I don't think his brain is suited any better to International rugby this year than last, he's just gotten away with it at Super Level. Having him on the wing lessens the risks and Kellaway has proven to be a good operator in the role internationally.

    Gleeson/Cale was a much harder pick between those two and Wright I shuffled about 18 times, with each of them sitting in the team/the bench/Left Right Out on multiple occasions.

    In the end, I decided to start the year with a bit more experience in order to bed down a playing style and would be looking to bring Cale in possibly for the second test or maybe against Georgia when the team is a bit more settled with how things are going to work and you don't have the Debut messing with the "finding our shape"

    I've followed that philosophy through much of the team with the only notable exception being Lancaster starting on the wing. It was more a statement about the lack of experienced options out wide than a reversal of the philosophy.

    I could have put Donaldson into 15 and Kellaway/Wright on the wings I guess, but there's more cost in that than profit for my dollar.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

  13. #13
    Immortal GIGS20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rockingham
    Posts
    20,729
    vCash
    1460000
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Do we have to choose?
    It's never stopped you before mate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    In this scenario, if Jumbuck Joe did think Wright a lock-in pick,
    Yeah, but Wright is FAR from a lock in pick for my money. I tussled over the 6 spot as much as the 9 and I really don't think any of those direct 6/8 hard running backrowers will lock the spot away for a long time. The promise of Cale, given how long he would be around if he makes it comes pretty close to outweighing the experience and general unfappableness of Wright or the sheer power of Gleeson.

    Whilst 9 will involve a rotation policy and horses for courses, 6 will be a game of musical chairs until the best mix is found.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

  14. #14
    Immortal Contributor
    Moderator
    Burgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Country WA
    Posts
    23,359
    vCash
    538000
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Yeah, but Wright is FAR from a lock in pick for my money. I tussled over the 6 spot as much as the 9 and I really don't think any of those direct 6/8 hard running backrowers will lock the spot away for a long time. The promise of Cale, given how long he would be around if he makes it comes pretty close to outweighing the experience and general unfappableness of Wright or the sheer power of Gleeson.

    Whilst 9 will involve a rotation policy and horses for courses, 6 will be a game of musical chairs until the best mix is found.
    Agreed, he is not a lock-in for mine, but would be one of my favoured Captains in the Squad.

    Would be unorthodox, but I guess an ugly alternative for 2024 would be to have an equivalent to a "Club Captain" (probably Alaalatoa) and then have the "1st XV Captain" for each match. Better for it to be official from the outset than the dart board we had last year. Then 2025 select the long term Wallaby Captain when the prospects have been road tested.

    One nonstarter for me, along with Co-Captain's, is I disagree with an Overseas Captain too.
    Filled the void in an all around unique season last year. but should be strongly discouraged from becoming common practice.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

    Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

  15. #15
    Champion Tazzmania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    2,163
    vCash
    5600000
    What a refreshing interview to watch Joe Schmidt talk about the team and the selections on Stan in "First Squad".

    He talks about the selections, the process to find a captain, and that the team needs to be hard working so that they can win the fans back.

    No spin, talks humbly, and just like Cron wants to work with the players to make them better. It was all about "we" and not "I".

    Went up another notch in my humble opinion.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: ďPeople talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but thereís a process to get into and itís the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.Ē

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Beale hopes to thrust himself back into Wallabies frame
    By The InnFORCEr in forum Wallabies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-24, 22:15
  2. Wallabies Train On Squad Confirmed - 5 Force
    By maelkann in forum Wallabies
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 17-06-15, 23:05
  3. O'Connor back in Wallabies squad
    By The InnFORCEr in forum Wallabies
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-09-12, 12:16
  4. Honey Badger back in Wallabies Training Squad
    By Nipper in forum Western Force
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 31-08-12, 10:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •