Thread: Western Force sign one-cap England hooker Nic Dolly from 2025 onwards

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

Western Force sign one-cap England hooker Nic Dolly from 2025 onwards

https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...rds-c-14361735

The Western Force have added another international hooker to their midst for next Super Rugby season, signing Australian-born one-cap England international Nic Dolly. Nicknamed the ‘Human Mullet’, Dolly is set to play professional rugby in Australia for the first time in his career after an incredible rise. The 24 year-old was born and raised in Sydney, but earned a contract with Premiership side Sale Sharks while visiting grandparents in England.

After impressing for Leicester Tigers — the former home of Force duo Harry Potter and Sam Carter — Dolly earnt an England call-up from Eddie Jones in 2021 and debuted against South Africa. However, his move back to Australia means he will become eligible to play for the Wallabies in November. Dolly has battled knee and neck injuries over the past couple of years, but Force general manager of rugby Matt Hodgson said he was rapt to have secured Dolly’s signature.

“Nic’s signing is further reinforcement of our commitment to squad depth in all positions and he brings international quality, for both club and country,” he said. “He proved himself as a high-quality hooker at Leicester and we’re excited to offer him an opportunity to get back to playing regular games to boost his international aspirations.”

His signing comes a week after the Force announced they had also snared the signature of returning overseas Wallabies hooker Brandon Paenga-Amosa. Dolly said he was attracted by the project at the Force, as well as working with head coach Simon Cron.

“I’m excited to play and just play really well to help the club on its trajectory. I’ve been over here for seven years, and I always had a plan to go back home to play rugby,” he said. “The Force approached me and made me feel wanted which was a huge attraction. The long-term plan and direction the club is going is exciting, with Crono locked in for the next few years.”

Dolly said Potter and Carter had both spoken highly of the club.

“I spoke to Harry Potter, in particular, along with Carts and in terms of culture and what the club is trying to do, it’s all been positive and something I believe I can add to, both on and off field,” he said. “I’ve learned lots in the Premiership and I’m itching to get into it and back playing regular games.”

Dolly will arrive in Australia in July at the conclusion of the Premiership Rugby season to join his new Force teammates.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Will be a welcome addition, though you always have to wonder about minimal cap players who were eligible for a couple of countries, whether they are truly International class or just a country doing a speculative "bank" to avoid selection by the other country.
    As I posted earlier in the week- "Dolly hasn't been selected since Round 4, November 5th last week before RWC players started returning. Respectable 20 odd minute hit out off the bench, apart from a mistimed first lineout, otherwise no clangers."

Hopefully it will be the case, but I can't see us being able to satisfy four frontline Hookers.
    If I had to choose I'd have to stick with Horton over Kaitu'u as a. the currently performing option and b. greater variation to Paega-Amosa.

The trajectory of Kaitu'u is a great mystery, he seemed on track to be a Wallaby regular and then really fell away during his Force Captaincy year.

At 33, it would seem that this seals the career of Funnell, though hopefully will be picked up in MLR or the like as he's playing good Rugby.

Kaitu'u 29 years, 183cm, 110kg
    Paega-Amosa 28 years, 183cm, 117kg
    Horton 26 years, 181cm, 104kg
    Dolly 24 years, 183cm, 103kg

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I guess that means Kaitu'u won't be retained next year. Somewhat disappointing, as he has so much potential, but hasn't been able to get back to the form he showed a few years back before becoming captain

Apprentice
    vCash
    Perth pathways must be working really well

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Not necessarily re: Kaitu'u. You definitely need 3 competent hookers. Injuries will strike. Dolly sounds like he's had his troubles, so I'd be surprised if one of Horton or Feleti stays.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelsman View Post
    Yep. They are great.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Not necessarily re: Kaitu'u. You definitely need 3 competent hookers. Injuries will strike. Dolly sounds like he's had his troubles, so I'd be surprised if one of Horton or Feleti stays.

Yep. They are great.
    Clearly

vCash
    Glad you're paying attention. Ryan Louwrens and Nick Jooste are going OK. Dane & Ross H-P, Dickie Hardwicke, Cruze Ah-Nau went OK too.

You're welcome. Now get back in your room before your Mum catches you being a dick on her computer again again.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Perth players can sign with a local super rugby team, so doing alright.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post

The trajectory of Kaitu'u is a great mystery, he seemed on track to be a Wallaby regular and then really fell away during his Force Captaincy year.

Kaitu'u 29 years, 183cm, 110kg
    Paega-Amosa 28 years, 183cm, 117kg
    Horton 26 years, 181cm, 104kg
    Dolly 24 years, 183cm, 103kg
    Its been obvious in the first few rounds especially that our pack was getting bossed around so I think these are a couple of good signings.

Horton has really bulked up; he was something like 97kg last season. He has gone from strength to strength, and I think BPA and Dolly are going to have some real competition on their hands for a starting spot with Horton's current form.

Felete is a total mystery; I believe he played well with the Mako in the NPC - he's had some injuries this season that may have frustrated his training/ impacted his consistent selection but if they can help him realise his full potential...

Gareth Chilcott on playing his last game of rugby for Bath in 1993 “I thought I would have a quiet pint… and about 17 noisy ones.”

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "The 111-page report released on Wednesday, a copy of which has been obtained by The Roar, reveals that in the last three calendar years, the Victorian Super Rugby club incurred operating losses of $5 million (2021), $5.3 million (2022) and $5.7 million (2023). During those three years, player and employee salaries alone exceeded the Rebels’ income by a collective total of about $4 million."

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.