• Canes +15

2 7.41%

Thread: White & Rodda headline Force team for Round 1 vs Hurricanes

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

White & Rodda headline Force team for Round 1 vs Hurricanes

Wed, Feb 21, 2024, 11:00 AM
    by Ben Somerford

The Western Force have named five starters to make their Club debuts in Friday night’s Super Rugby Pacific season-opening clash with the Hurricanes at HBF Park.

Off-season recruits Tom Franklin, Will Harris, Nic White, Ben Donaldson and Harry Potter will earn their first caps for the Force having been named in the XV.

Wallabies lock Izack Rodda has also been named to play after a long-term foot problem in a major boost.

Ben Funnell, Lopeti Faifua and Tiaan Tauakipulu could also all make their Club debuts having been named as reserves.

Tighthead prop Tauakipulu comes into the Force squad as an injury replacement for Harry Hoopert.

Force captain Jeremy Williams is unavailable due to head injury protocols, so Michael Wells and White will lead the side as co-captains.

The game will be live on Stan Sport, while there will be regular updates @WesternForce on social media, with kick-off from 7pm.

The game will be preceded by the Force women against Tokyo Sankyu Phoenix in a pre-season trial game from 4:30pm as part of a double-header.

Western Force v Hurricanes

Friday 23 February, 7pm WST HBF Park Live on Stan Sport Tickets via Ticketmaster

Team list

1. Marley Pearce
    2. Tom Horton
    3. Santiago Medrano
    4. Thomas Franklin
    5. Izack Rodda
    6. Michael Wells
    7. Carlo Tizzano
    8. Will Harris
    9. Nic White
    10. Ben Donaldson
    11. Chase Tiatia
    12. Hamish Stewart
    13. Sam Spink
    14. Harry Potter
    15. Max Burey

16. Ben Funnell
    17. Charlie Hancock
    18. Tiaan Tauakipulu
    19. Lopeti Faifua
    20. Tim Anstee
    21. Ollie Callan
    22. Issak Fines-Leleiwasa
    23. George Poolman

https://westernforce.rugby/news/west...ound-1-2024221

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Burgs; 21-02-24 at 16:22.
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Force v Hurricanes - key gameday info - Friday 23 February, HBF Park
    Super Rugby Pacific kick-off 7pm
    All gates open 5:30pm

Force v Tokyo Sankyu Phoenix women's trial game kick-off 4:30pm
    Gate 1 opens 4:15pm

Members are encouraged to come early and catch all the action with every home match featuring a curtain raiser.

Members will have received a digital and/or physical Membership card which grants them access to HBF Park for all 7 home games this season, see below for your options, all of which will work:

1. You would have received an email with the subject line “Your digital member card is attached” which has two options to gain entry into HBF Park:
    a. Print off the PDF attachment and use this to scan into HBF Park,
    b. In the body of the email there is a link to download the exact same Member card into your phones wallet.
    2. Physical Member Card – if you chose to purchase a physical Membership card through MBER+ and it has arrived, you can use this to enter the ground on Friday.

You will notice the barcode number is the same for all the above options so they all do the same thing, we’ve just provided you with different options this season.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Q&A Niamh and DHP at 6.30pm in the new Line Break Lounge (nee BBQ Terrace)

Members are encouraged to head to the Line Break Lounge for a pre-match Q&A at 6.30pm with new CEO Niamh O’Connor and Wallaby great Dane Haylett-Petty.

The Player of the Match will also be interviewed post-match and Members will have the chance to share in prizes sponsored by our Western Force partners through a post-match raffle.

The South Marquee will not be open this season as we look to enhance other dedicated Members only bars. The East BBQ Terrace has been rebranded as the Line Break Lounge and is open to all Western Force Members, simply show your Membership card to gain entry.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    A few surprises on the team list.
    Very surprised to see Rodda straight back into the 15, and hope he hasn't been rushed back due to injuries since an article in the last week or so was saying he was aiming for a return week 2 or 3.
    Also surprised and somewhat disappointed that White is straight into the 15 - greatly prefer IFL. I guess he give more flexibility of the bench though with us going for a 6/2 split.
    I also wonder why Moli and Kaitu'u haven't been included in the 23. Moli should be ahead of both bench prop options and Kaitu'u has been looking back to his old self in the warm ups.
    Good looking team overall, but going to be a tough first hit out against a good looking Hurricanes side - team as below.

Hurricanes: Ruben Love, Josh Moorby, Billy Proctor, Jordie Barrett (co-capt), Kini Naholo, Brett Cameron, Jordi Viljoen, Peter Lakai, Du’Plessis Kirifi, Devan Flanders, Isaia Walker-Leawere, Caleb Delany, Pasilio Tosi, Asafo Aumua (co-capt), Xavier Numea. Reserves: James O’Reilly, Pouri Rakete-Stones, Tyrel Lomax, Justin Sangster, Brayden Iose, Cam Roigard, Riley Higgins, Salesi Rayasi.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    This team of ours. I gotta tell ya. Im excited.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chiraag View Post
    Very surprised to see Rodda straight back into the 15, and hope he hasn't been rushed back .
    On the Pick & Drive podcast a couple of weeks ago Cron, when asked about his return said...."He's been doing contact work & he's bigger stronger, faster." Asked specifically about this week he said "He could be very close for round 1 but he still has some training to do". Make of that what you will. If that's where it's at & he's passed fitness testing you'd wonder if another week or two would make much difference.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    Rodda left training early. A new injury.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Rodda left training early. A new injury.
    FFS!
    Hopefully superficial.
    I imagine with any knocks and speculation leading in to R1 they would have been being ultra conservative.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    Bicep I believe and going for scans so I'd say a little more than precautionary. Likely out for 'Canes.

vCash
    FMD the bloke is made of more glass than Will Pucovski

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I like the starting team, but I reckon we might get munted in the scrums in the second half. Reckon it'll get get slippery with the heat.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    BILLY PROCTOR SET TO PLAY 50TH GAME AGAINST WESTERN FORCE

Wed 21st Feb

The Hurricanes have named a stacked side for their first DHL Super Rugby Pacific (SRP) outing for 2024 against the Western Force in Perth this Saturday morning (12am NZDT).

The team includes exciting young halfback Jordi Viljoen, who is set to make his SRP debut starting in the number nine jersey. All Blacks halfback Cam Roigard returns to the side off the bench after missing the Hurricanes two preseason matches due to a minor injury.

With regular captain Brad Shields ruled out of this match, Asafo Aumua and Jordie Barrett have been named as co-captains.

Starting in the Front Row are Xavier Numia, Aumua, and Pasilio Tosi. They will be joined by Caleb Delany and Isaia Walker-Leawere in the Second Row; with Devan Flanders, Du’Plessis Kirifi, and Peter Lakai rounding out the loose Forwards.

Halfback Viljoen will be partnered by Brett Cameron at First-Five.

All Black Jordie Barrett and Billy Proctor will form an experienced midfield; while Kini Naholo, Josh Moorby, and Ruben Love will bring a lot of power and pace to the backline.

Hurricanes Head Coach Clark Laidlaw said settling on a starting XV after their two preseason hit outs wasn't easy but is excited with the side they have put together heading into their match against the Force.

“There were some tight selection decisions for the coaches in the end, but we’re really happy with the team that will run out in Round One,” Laidlaw said.

“This is the first game of the competition, so we’re excited to see the starting group run out, but more importantly it’s going to take 23 players to get the job done. We’ve got a lot of respect for the Force and we’re under no illusions around how good of a performance we’re going to have to put out on the field to come away with a win. It’s going to take a squad effort to get the performance we’re after.”

The match against the Force will also see Billy Proctor achieve a major milestone with the classy centre set to play his 50th game for the club – a milestone his brother and former Hurricane midfielder Matt Proctor also achieved.

Proctor said, “It’s a massive honour to play 50 games for the Hurricanes. It’s the team I grew up watching and it was always my dream to play just one game for the Hurricanes. But to be able to bring up 50 games this weekend and join my brother in the 50 club is something pretty special.”

The Hurricanes match against the Western Force kicks off at 12.00am NZDT on Saturday morning, 24 February; (7.00pm local time, Friday 23 February), at HBF Park in Perth.

Hurricanes SRP Round One team to play Western Force

1. Xavier Numia
    2. Asafo Aumua (cc)
    3. Pasilio Tosi
    4. Caleb Delany
    5. Isaia Walker-Leawere
    6. Devan Flanders
    7. Du’Plessis Kirifi
    8. Peter Lakai
    9. Jordi Viljoen (Debut)
    10. Brett Cameron
    11. Kini Naholo
    12. Jordie Barrett (cc)
    13. Billy Proctor (50th game)
    14. Josh Moorby
    15. Ruben Love

16. James O’Reilly
    17. Pouri Rakete-Stones
    18. Tyrel Lomax
    19. Justin Sangster
    20. Brayden Iose
    21. Cam Roigard
    22. Riley Higgins
    23. Salesi Rayasi

https://www.hurricanes.co.nz/news/ar...-western-force

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Poll added

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Bicep I believe and going for scans so I'd say a little more than precautionary. Likely out for 'Canes.
    According to RAu a Quad and getting a scan to determine severity.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    According to RAu a Quad and getting a scan to determine severity.
    gutted for him, some of the team just don't seem to be able to catch a break.

Gareth Chilcott on playing his last game of rugby for Bath in 1993 “I thought I would have a quiet pint… and about 17 noisy ones.”