Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jeremy Williams 2025 captain

vCash

Jeremy Williams 2025 captain

Williams to lead Force in 2024, Wells & White named vice-captains

Note: Oops that should be 2024 Captain, please can a moderator edit for me.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    The three W's to lead

Williams Captain

Wells Vice
    White Vice

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Great news!

Couldn’t have a more dichotomous choice for vice captains.
    Wells doesn’t say a thing and White doesn’t shut up! 🤣

vCash
    I think that's a great shout to put Williams as captain (need a nickname for him now)

I think Wells will make a great VC, he doesn't have to interact with the ref, can quietly drive standards from the bench. White won't be starting every game, Crono said start at 9 will be horses for courses selection, which is (IMHO) the only way to handle that.

Liking everything I'm hearing from them this year.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDom View Post
    ... and White doesn’t shut up! ��
    Well, he is a scrum-half - it's part of the job description

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Force spring surprise as Jeremy Williams named captain
    Justin Chadwick
    AAP
    February 16, 2024 9:28AM

Western Force lock Jeremy Williams has become the franchise's captain at just 23 years of age, with recruit Nic White and last year's skipper Michael Wells named as his assistants.

Williams becomes the eighth man to lead the Force, fresh from a breakout 2023 season in which he was rated in the top three of Super Rugby's lineout performers.

The 195cm lock, a big admirer of inaugural Force captain Nathan Sharpe, moved to the West Australian outfit in late 2022 from the NSW Waratahs.

Force coach Simon Cron, who earlier this week re-signed until the end of 2026, said Williams represented the franchise's future.

"A big part of this decision is looking to the future for someone who can help drive the leadership forward over the next couple of years," Cron said in a statement.

"We thought Wellsy did a brilliant job in 2023 and we've decided it's the right time to transition with a view to the future.

"Jeremy is a fantastic young man. He has a lot of respect from the playing group, he played big minutes for us last year and he leads by doing.

"The job of Wellsy and Whitey as vice-captains is to help support Jeremy. All great leadership teams work as a collective group and we are no different."

Williams, who has 20 Super caps to his name, said he was honoured to be handed the role.

"I genuinely cannot wait to lead the boys out this year and am really excited for the season ahead after all the work we've done this pre-season," he said.

"I believe that I am a leader by example, but also know that my captaincy style will evolve with time, so I'm thrilled to have the support of Michael Wells and Nic White around me, given their vast experiences.

"They're going to play a massive role in helping me and guiding me through the journey, so I'm really excited to work alongside those guys."

Wells and White boast more than 200 Super Rugby caps between them.

White has also featured 63 times for the Wallabies and played in two World Cups.

"Whitey and Wellsy are two of our most experienced players," Cron said.

"Whitey is a genuine international with unmatched experience, Wellsy has played over 100 Super Rugby games.

"The two of them have been captains before, they're great leaders. That experience will be critical for the team on and off the field."

The Force kick off their season on February 23, at home to the Hurricanes.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...ain-c-13613580

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Senior Player
    vCash
    I would not call it a surprise. He took over the line out calls last year, he was a co-captain against the cheetahs and he always puts his body on the line for the team. I think most people I have seen on here and the SOB facebook page were calling for Williams to be the captain.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    I would not call it a surprise. He took over the line out calls last year, he was a co-captain against the cheetahs and he always puts his body on the line for the team. I think most people I have seen on here and the SOB facebook page were calling for Williams to be the captain.
    I think the surprise is amongst the myopic eastern states tosspots who don't really pay any attention. Most of those types remember seeing Wells taking to the camera post match and haven't bothered to even look at the team sheets outside that.

It probably won't even cross their radar until we play whoever their team is

C'mon the

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I think the surprise is amongst the myopic eastern states tosspots who don't really pay any attention. Most of those types remember seeing Wells taking to the camera post match and haven't bothered to even look at the team sheets outside that.

It probably won't even cross their radar until we play whoever their team is

Very happy with this call, Williams certainly the best choice. Wells is not in our best starting backrow and this means White can come off the bench and add leadership and help gets us over the line

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    A great outcome for the Captaincy. A logical call.
    I am a bit perplexed why in chasing future leadership you would have two old hacks requiring letters next to their name though.
    Smells a little bit of promises and saving face in both instances to me.
    I would have found more palatable one "experienced" and one "development" VC.
    With White there is some sense if he's coming off the bench at 60-65 with Williams running out of gas.
    Will be hard for Wells from the grandstand though.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Burgs, reading between the lines I think the 2 experienced vc idea is an acknowledgement of Williams age and experience at this level.

Not much more than one season playing full time at Super Rugby level.

Yes he showed everything he needed to show to earn this honour and I haven't heard a single person questioning the appointment but he's young and the support is smart.

When Crono said he's looking for the next Hodgson I knew Williams was in the mix because he has that potential. He could be our third great captain if managed right.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    No doubt that is the logic mate, absolutely.
    Just wondering if supportive leadership requires initials next to the name.
    I saw supportive leadership in Tiatia against the Reds (previously described, final 5 minutes), no "VC" required.
    Also interesting that in the team photo (unless playing mind games with us...) it appears that Wells was in the back row of the shot which i found interesting.
    Anyway, that's the way it's selected and from here, at least until "80" into the season, I'm onboard...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I reckon you'd be an idiot to expect only the three named to provide leadership on the field.

10 usually "captain's" the backline 2 usually "captain's" the scrum, one of the locks usually "captain's" the lineout, then there's the massive leadership by those that don't have assigned roles but pick. The team up when needed like Sam Spink going apeshit when the teams looking a bit flat, chase directing counterattack when he sees an opportunity.

IMHO everyone selected should carry a bit of that load

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Are the West "buying in" or just ticking a box before footy takes over???

Name:  Force 01.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  206.1 KB

Name:  Force 02.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  150.0 KB

Name:  Force 03.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  138.7 KB

Name:  Force 04.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  120.2 KB

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    What a great editing job there Burgs. TLH would be proud of you.

But seriously thanks Burgs.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast