Thread: Premier Grade 2024 Season

Rookie
    vCash

Premier Grade 2024 Season

Season structure has been announced for 2024 and it's got a bit going on to say the least.

RugbyWA will introduce a new competition structure for the 2024 Fortescue Premier Grade season.

With eleven teams in the Fortescue Premier Grade, the new structure aims to create an exciting, new format for the season, providing more opportunities for clubs to participate in competitive matches and to progress to the finals series, whilst prioritising player welfare.

RugbyWA’s Operations Manager, Jason Marrable, stated that the changes come after RugbyWA's Board undertook a review of the senior competition structure.

"A working group was tasked with developing a competition structure for the 2024 season and beyond, which focused on defining key deliverables, in addition to aligning with RugbyWA’s strategic ambitions and plans for growth.

"A new competition structure which encourages meaningful, fair and equitable competition was required, whilst taking into account player welfare.

"The new competition structure needed to promote competitive matches between teams, while additionally providing clubs the aspiration to improve both on and off the field."

The first eleven rounds of the season will see each team play each other once, before they are split into two conference groups for the remaining five rounds. Last season’s Top 6 will split into Conference A, and the remainder into Conference B.

At the end of the regular season, the teams will reunite, with the top 4 teams in Conference A and the top 2 from Conference B progressing to finals. The top 2 teams from Conference A will advance straight to the semi-finals, whilst the best of Conference B will compete against the winner of the third and fourth place teams from Conference A for a place in the semi finals.

Winners from here will progress to the Grand Final.

Each following season, teams will have the opportunity to change conferences, with the best of Conference B entering Conference A, and the sixth placed team from Conference A entering Conference B.

Marrable is looking forward to this new structure, hoping it will encourage greater competition leading up to the finals.

"I'm looking forward to seeing the new finals format. With more finals spots up for grabs, it will mean more matches that have meaning later in the season, with more knockout rugby and more at stake.

"The movement of teams from Conference A and Conference B will create more jeopardy, meaning every game this season will count, for all clubs.

The new competition structure will be implemented from Round 1 of the 2024 Fortescue Premier Grade season.

For any enquiries regarding this new structure, please contact community@rugbywa.com.au.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Why use last year's table finish the basis for the split. Surely the best performing teams from the season ahead should be used as the split. Bloody stupid if you ask me - which they didn't course. RWA scrambling to find something to replace last year's debacle - promotion and relegation - that was chucked out, but still wanting to get rid of teams. It's just a disguised move towards Div 1 and Div 2 competitions.

vCash
    I read that new structure twice this morning and was still scratching my head.

Whoever came up with it needs to go for CT scan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I read that new structure twice this morning and was still scratching my head.

Whoever came up with it needs to go for CT scan.
    I:ve hardly ever commented in sub-forums I'm not qualified for. .....
    But that proposal is a doozy. Illogical comes to mind. So to quote the pointy-eared one... “Madness has no purpose. Or reason. But it may have a goal, Jim.”

vCash
    I have no skin in the game.

Using 2023 standings seems a reasonable starting point for the 1st year.
    (There was a big gap between 6 & 7 last year on both points (55 v 40) and points difference (+188 v -250))
    Attached is last year's table after Round 22. (Apols - I don't have a clean copy without the final four)

At least there's a relegation/promotion process which gives some incentive to improve.

If a team's good enough they can move into and stay in the Upper 5 and be free of relegation the next year
    Creates plenty of interest.

I have no issues with 6 top teams in Group A because there were some blowouts last year.

I reckon that there should be a Div 1 and Div 2 but we need more clubs to make that work.
    We need to grow the game in WA.

Easy to criticize but what other systems would people prefer/suggest?

Name:  Round 22 Ladder.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  53.3 KB

Last edited by andrewg; 03-02-24 at 16:24.

Rookie
    vCash
    At the end of the regular season, the teams will reunite, with the top 4 teams in Conference A and the top 2 from Conference B progressing to finals. The top 2 teams from Conference A will advance straight to the semi-finals, whilst the best of Conference B will compete against the winner of the third and fourth place teams from Conference A for a place in the semi finals.

Winners from here will progress to the Grand Final.
    So the semi finals will be:

A1 v (winner of B1 v B2)

A2 v (winner of A3 v A4)

Not straightforward!

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tjs10 View Post
    So the semi finals will be:

A1 v (winner of B1 v B2)

A2 v (winner of A3 v A4)

Not straightforward!

A1 v (winner of B1 v B2) is going to be a massive banana skin, this format could potentially throw up some interesting fixtures.