Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Force Frst Trial Squad 2024

vCash
    Harris had a great first 30, great signing
    I know it's only the first game, but I wasn't overly impressed with Donaldson, Burey deserves the 10 jersey
    Potter has one wing sewn up, no clue about the other. Maybe use Tia Tia the way Ireland use Lowe?
    Please for the love of god don't make Wells captain. Go with Williams
    Good first hit out

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    There used to be technicality between hitting the ball upwards and downwards to determine cynical play or not wasn't there? But on recent interpretation I thought that was YC Penalty all day.
    Most ridiculously interpreted law in the game. Cynical slap downs OK. But in situations, say 2 on 1, where a risky pass is thrown, the defender should have all rights to defend the play. Officials pontificating on whether the defender had reasonable chance of retaining the interception is a bad joke.
    Actually I seem to recall that the interpretation was to be under review by WR.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Most ridiculously interpreted law in the game. Cynical slap downs OK. But in situations, say 2 on 1, where a risky pass is thrown, the defender should have all rights to defend the play. Officials pontificating on whether the defender had reasonable chance of retaining the interception is a bad joke.
    Actually I seem to recall that the interpretation was to be under review by WR.
    The version that does my head in is the "in the act of tackling" split second decision having the same penalty as a deliberate slap down.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    what pisses me off with murphy, he appears to look for a penalty at every breakdown

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I'm mot a Murphy fan, but I thought he was alright. I reckon Leahy's try should've been a penalty try, and there were a few other minor things he let go, but I didn't feel like he was pedantic like he normally is.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDom View Post
    Harris had a great first 30, great signing
    I know it's only the first game, but I wasn't overly impressed with Donaldson, Burey deserves the 10 jersey
    Potter has one wing sewn up, no clue about the other. Maybe use Tia Tia the way Ireland use Lowe?
    Please for the love of god don't make Wells captain. Go with Williams
    Good first hit out

Definitely agree williams needs to be captain. I think anstee should go back to 6 with Callan/tizzano at 7 so no room for wells to start. Williams might even go to 6 if Rodda comes back

Also still waiting for Poolman to show why he is there, leahy and O’Donnell might pass him by

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    what pisses me off with murphy, he appears to look for a penalty at every breakdown
    As one of the Ref's said on Whistleblowers, "Murphy is a c..." sorry, no they said words to the effect "If you blew every infringement you would never have an attacking move".

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Owen View Post
    Interesting they haven't named a captain yet. Hoping it is Williams and not Wells as I don't think Wells should be in that starting team when fully fit. Was hoping Burey and Donaldson the other way around but I guess the positions are interchangeable these days. I actually think Potter would be our best fullback but lacking wingers.
    For mine Taqele didn't do anything to enhance his chances of a contract.First 30 was pretty good with a likely first chance starting team.Some combinations trialed in the second 30 and it got decidedly raggedCame back in the last 30 hopefully showing cronny which combinations are the ones to go with.Molis yellow looked pretty soft but it was "guesswork" Murphy, the guys moved on well.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    My call on Murphy is his brain isn't quite fast enough to ref at super rugby level. He can see something doesn't look right so he blows the whistle but he isn't quick enough to identify what it is so he guesses.Sometimes he guesses right.

C'mon the

vCash
    Taqele looked overweight and sluggish. Probably need to lose at least 15kg to get up to speed. I think we may end up seeing Pasitoa as our flyhalf, he seems to offer some x factor in attack.

vCash
    A good first hit out.

Fines looked sharp, and Donaldson worked very well with him and Stewart so that would appear to settle the starting 9/10/12.

Spink carried on from last year and continues to cement 13.

Tiatia and Potter were good on the wings, but I thought Burey looked like he was trying too hard and not always taking the best options, I prefer like him as a back up but not starting or initial 23.

The cameo from O' Donnell was good and I would like to see him on one of the wings and slot either Tiatia or Potter to full back.

Pearce, Moli, Medrano looked good and only Hancock did not seem to hold his own, with Hoopert, Siasifa and Wagner to come back props look ok.

I thought Katuii played well and probably just ahead of Horton to start.

All the locks did well, from what we saw probably Franklin and Williams starting Faifua coming off the bench.

Anstey had his best game for a long time and probably locked in 6, with Harris appearing to be a very good get at 8.

Wells had a good game but with a hotly contested back row Tizzano will get the remaining spot with Wells to come off the bench.

Pasitoa at this stage of his development looks like we will get the most out of him coming off the bench to cover 10 or preferably 12, a big body, against tiring defenses and a decent boot to keep us in the right side of the field of play. Will be starting before years end.

The second number eight which I think was Titi looked very good as well, as did Callan our back row stocks look good this year.

Too many other to mention.

Team based on what I saw yesterday:

1) Pearce
    2) Katuii
    3) Medrano
    4) Franklin
    5) Williams (Captain)
    6) Anstee
    7) Tizzano
    8) Harris
    9) Fines
    10) Donaldson
    11) O Donnell
    12) Stewart
    13) Spink
    14) Potter
    15) Tiatia

16) Horton
    17) Wagner
    18) Moli
    19) Fuifia
    20) Wells
    21) Prior
    22) Pasitoa
    23) Tequela (if he can get fit enough)

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    A good first hit out.

Fines looked sharp, and Donaldson worked very well with him and Stewart so that would appear to settle the starting 9/10/12.

Spink carried on from last year and continues to cement 13.

Tiatia and Potter were good on the wings, but I thought Burey looked like he was trying too hard and not always taking the best options, I prefer like him as a back up but not starting or initial 23.

The cameo from O' Donnell was good and I would like to see him on one of the wings and slot either Tiatia or Potter to full back.

Pearce, Moli, Medrano looked good and only Hancock did not seem to hold his own, with Hoopert, Siasifa and Wagner to come back props look ok.

I thought Katuii played well and probably just ahead of Horton to start.

All the locks did well, from what we saw probably Franklin and Williams starting Faifua coming off the bench.

Anstey had his best game for a long time and probably locked in 6, with Harris appearing to be a very good get at 8.

Wells had a good game but with a hotly contested back row Tizzano will get the remaining spot with Wells to come off the bench.

Pasitoa at this stage of his development looks like we will get the most out of him coming off the bench to cover 10 or preferably 12, a big body, against tiring defenses and a decent boot to keep us in the right side of the field of play. Will be starting before years end.

The second number eight which I think was Titi looked very good as well, as did Callan our back row stocks look good this year.

Too many other to mention.

Team based on what I saw yesterday:

1) Pearce
    2) Katuii
    3) Medrano
    4) Franklin
    5) Williams (Captain)
    6) Anstee
    7) Tizzano
    8) Harris
    9) Fines
    10) Donaldson
    11) O Donnell
    12) Stewart
    13) Spink
    14) Potter
    15) Tiatia

16) Horton
    17) Wagner
    18) Moli
    19) Fuifia
    20) Wells
    21) Prior
    22) Pasitoa
    23) Tequela (if he can get fit enough)
    Prior certainly won’t be there as White will be good to go. Would be nice to get an idea of where Rodda is at as well.

I would like to see them run Pasitoa at 10 next week with Donaldson at 15 and see how that goes.

It’s a shame we had a perfect scrum set up with a big blindside to give Taquele a one on one against their winger and the other backs stuffed it up

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Prior certainly won’t be there as White will be good to go.
    Yeah agreed, should only get a look in for injury or enforced Wallaby rest.
    Was encouraging to see the distinct change in box kick strategy by IFL and even more encouraging to see it mostly successful.

I would like to see them run Pasitoa at 10 next week with Donaldson at 15 and see how that goes.
    Agreed, that would be my preferred selection anyway, but would be good to see at least one half under their belt in that format.
    It seemed Pasitoa was under instruction to get a couple of those long field position kicks in.
    Burey is #23 for mine with Kuenzle/Stewart #12/22 depending on the opposition.

It’s a shame we had a perfect scrum set up with a big blindside to give Taquele a one on one against their winger and the other backs stuffed it up
    I might need a tinfoil hat, but during the match I had the feeling that the rest of the team was directing play away from him.
    That said, he isn't ready to play at this stage.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    A left field thought that just came to me reading Tazz's post

Pasitoa as our starting 15 with Donaldson at 10.

Donaldson really didn't do anything that would force me to drop him, he was solid, organised, kicked intelligently and rant the team well outside Issak's livewire performance at 9

Reesjan, similarly did enough to suggest he deserves minutes, ran at the line and made himself a handful, defended well and looked comfortable.

I think both would be OK under the high ball, but I'd call Reesjan as more of a threat running with space and I reckon he looked better in defence.

Donno at 10 for the steady option with Reesjan running into first receiver when he sees something on would be pretty devastating if the rest of the backs can cope with the rapid change of styles.

That puts Burey on the bench and both positions are covered with great options no matter what happens.

I'd then go for the experience of Hamish at 12, you can't move Sam from 13 and the wings would end up being Potter and Tiatia.

The Front row is pretty easy I'd start Moli and Medrano for the first game, but might not pair them up in the trials (why show that hand too early)
    I reckon there's a fag paper between Kaitu'u and Horton ATM so I'd be playing them based upon sport psychology more than anything else. Give Feleti enough game time to make Tom realise he's not locked in and keep them both on the bench long enough so that they're hungry.

Locks, I'd go with Williams and Franklin based upon that trial with Faifoa looking a little shaky in general play

The backrow is a conundrum. Tim made a pretty good fist of playing 7, but I think we have better options there, I think Tim's a 6 Will pretty much wrote his name into 8 of fairly limited time and I'm not convinced that Wells did anything to unseat either of them. With Tizzano fit Wells doesn't make the 15. If Tizzano isn't fit is the question. Ollie looked much better with a bit more muscle on, but is he better than Tim? I didn't see enough to make and firm commitments so I'll leave that one as a question.

Sorry Tazz, but i don't think Taquele has done enough for a contract besed upon what I saw off the ball in that trial. He looked incredibly slow and weak in comparision to others. Leahy and even Poolman look like better options (yes I'm aware that means we don't have a power winger)

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    [QUOTE=GIGS20;494846]A left field thought that just came to me reading Tazz's post

I reckon there's a fag paper between Kaitu'u and Horton ATM so I'd be playing them based upon sport psychology more than anything else. Give Feleti enough game time to make Tom realise he's not locked in and keep them both on the bench long enough so that they're hungry.

It definitely looks like Feleti is getting back to his old barnstorming ways; he had some good, solid carries.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast