Thu, Dec 7, 2023, 6:00 AM
Nathan Williamson

Wallabies legend David Campese has received further recognition for his incredible career, inducted as a life member at the SCG.

Campese was one of 12 inducted on Wednesday alongside the likes of cricket heroes Steve Waugh, Glenn McGrath and Mark Taylor along with Swans icon Michael O’Loughlin and Socceroos coach Graham Arnold.

The electric winger joins fellow Wallabies all-time greats Trevor Allan, Ken Catchpole, Sir Nicholas Shehadie and Col Windon in receiving the honour.

“Bit of a shock. When you start off playing sport, you don’t think the things will happen as you play and when you retire. It’s a great honour,” Campese said on hearing the news.

“I remember my first time playing here in 1982…it was a great day I remember because coming from Queanbeyan, 21,000 people, I never thought I’d get to play here at such a great stadium at the SCG.

“It was an unbelievable opportunity.”

Campese made his debut for the Wallabies in 1982, playing 101 games for the national side.

He was critical in their 1984 grand slam triumphs, the first Wallaby side to defeat England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland on a tour.

Campese etched himself as a legend of the game in 1991 as he guided the Wallabies to their first World Cup victory, named Player of the Tournament.

He became the first Australian rugby union player, and second international player, to reach the milestone of playing 100 Tests before retiring in 1996.

“When I look at these names, we are talking about the best of the best,” NSW Minister for Sport Steve Kamper said.

“The players and athletes who captured our imaginations. The champions that forged a new path. The stalwarts that built clubs and codes into the powerhouses they are today. As well as those whose generosity and philanthropy has given so much to our wider community.”

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/wallab...member-2023126