Thread: Force Team V Tahs Announced

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Force Team V Tahs Announced

Thursday, September 21, 2006
    RugbyWA

Wallabies forwards Scott Fava and Tai McIsaac, and backs Scott Staniforth and Cameron Shepherd have been named in the Emirates Western Force squad to play the Waratahs in Bathurst on Saturday.

The four return to the team, which needs to beat the New South Welshmen to ensure the Australian Provincial Championship final is played at Members Equity Stadium in Perth, on Friday 29 September.

Fava comes into Number 8, with Richard Brown shifting to the blindside flank, while McIsaac will start on the bench with Brendan Cannon the run-on hooker.

Staniforth, who went to school in Bathurst, will start at outside centre and Shepherd, who made his run-on Test debut against South Africa earlier this month, will commence on the wing.

In other changes, former Waratah Troy Takiari will start at tight-head prop, with Gareth Hardy moving to the bench, while captain Luke Doherty will return to the second row, replacing Matt Windle who also moves to the bench.

In round one, the Emirates Western Force beat the Queensland Reds 32-6 at Ballymore, and last weekend lost to the Brumbies 25-10 at Viking Park.

Emirates Western Force APC coach John Mulvihill said Saturday's game would be a tight and physical encounter, with either side capable of making the final.

“We are approaching this game as a semi-final and have worked on elements of the game that let us down last weekend,” he said.

“And while we get a few boys back from Wallabies duties, the Waratahs will also benefit from the return of Al Baxter, Benn Robinson and Brett Sheehan.”

The squad is: 1. Angus Scott 2. Brendan Cannon 3. Troy Takiari 4. Pat O'Connor 5. Luke Doherty (c) 6. Richard Brown 7. David Pocock 8. Scott Fava 9. Matt Henjak 10. James Hilgendorf 11. Cameron Shepherd 12. Junior Pelesasa 13. Scott Staniforth 14. Haig Sare 15. Scott Daruda 16. Tai McIssac 17. Gareth Hardy 18. Matt Windle 19. Josh Fuimaono 20. Jon McGrath 21. Josh Graham 22. Brett Stapleton

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Scott Daruda at #15? mmm maybe they are gearing Sheps up to play wing in the Super 14... Maybe Drew will take his place...

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

Player
    vCash
    and staniforth at 13 with pelesasa at 12, they must be readying spanner to get accustomed to 13 with gits here next year. i hope they keep sheps at 15 next year, mitchell would slot into 11 very nicely. Where is Digby?

Prospect
    vCash
    Diggers is hurt (ankle) after the Brumbies I thought. But i back Mitchell at Fullback as a long-term option. Sheps and Diggers on the wing.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    It's one of the shames of having 2 and a half (I don't know how good Ryan Cross will be) star backs join the team that someone is going to get assed out. I'd have much preferred a back-up lock/blindside flanker (although I can't say I'm a fan of Al Kanaar). Any way you look at it someone with a lot of talent will be warming the bench.

vCash
    I agree...where will Ryan Cross play next year...What is the most likley line up for the backs next year?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I'd imagine he'll make a backline plug for the back 3. I think he used to play on the wing with the Australian School Boys. Staniforth/Pelesasa/Giteau (and possibly Lachlan Mackay/Haig Saire in the case of lots of injuries) will have 12 and 13 pretty fully covered leaving the back 3 as probably 11 Digby 14 Drew Mitchell (at first at least, since Cam is settled into 15) and 15 Shepherd. So Ryan Cross can come in as Fullback or Winger. It seems to over supply of talent is a reaction to the misfortunes of the season with so many backline injuries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James
    I'd imagine he'll make a backline plug for the back 3. I think he used to play on the wing with the Australian School Boys. Staniforth/Pelesasa/Giteau (and possibly Lachlan Mackay/Haig Saire in the case of lots of injuries) will have 12 and 13 pretty fully covered leaving the back 3 as probably 11 Digby 14 Drew Mitchell (at first at least, since Cam is settled into 15) and 15 Shepherd. So Ryan Cross can come in as Fullback or Winger. It seems to over supply of talent is a reaction to the misfortunes of the season with so many backline injuries.
    League Centre plays back three in rugby. Is he going to have the right stuff, (Considering the talent we've already got there) that would have to see Cross sharing the stage with Digby until someone gets injured. I don't think that's gunna work (But it might help Digby to complete his transition to the big game a bit quicker) I wonder if Cross isn't looking to do something strange like hit the gym and become a mobile flanker or something, because there doesn't seem to be a lot of room in a backline with Five out of seven positions covered by wallabies (Staniforth, Giteau, Mitchell, Shepherd and Henjak once he recaptures his form) and high quality youngsters as well How does a 27 Year old make the transition quickly enough to put someone like Digby who has a whole career ahead of him out of the team on a regular basis?, of course he could play flyhalf and push Jimmy out of the team......yeah right!