Thread: NSW Rugby commits to alignment with Rugby Australia

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

NSW Rugby commits to alignment with Rugby Australia

Darren Walton
    AAP
    November 14, 2023 5:51AM

Rugby Australia and the NSW Rugby Union have agreed to the first step in the strategic reset of Australian rugby.

NSW becomes the first state member union to formally commit to Rugby Australia's plan to align the sport across the country.

The agreement to centralise means responsibility for the operations of the Waratahs' professional entities will be passed on to RA from January 1.

RA will take responsibility for the Waratahs' high-performance operations, assets, liabilities, and commercial arrangements. All Waratahs employees will continue in their current roles.

The NSW Rugby Union will continue to take full responsibility for the community game, and for delivering programs to grow participation in, and engagement with the sport around the state, working in collaboration with the Waratahs and RA.

This step will result in the Waratahs' professional operations across high-performance (players, coaches, support staff) and commercial operations (sponsorship, marketing, membership, ticketing) being fully integrated and aligned with RA's high-performance and commercial operations.

The Waratahs will be governed by a separate board comprising representatives nominated by NSW Rugby and RA.

"We are taking this bold step because we strongly believe the federated model for professional rugby in Australia is unsustainable and that meaningful reform is long overdue," NSW Rugby chief Paul Doorn said.

"We are committed to the removal of the inherent conflicts and self-interest that have constrained meaningful progress in the past, and we are committed to the alignment of the high-performance and commercial operations between our club and Rugby Australia.

"I appreciate questions will be asked about the level of trust and confidence in RA's ability to fully realise the benefits of integration.

"These are important questions, however our decision reflects a commitment to deal with any such concern 'inside the tent', playing an active role in the most collaborative way possible.

"We are not content to sit on the sidelines any longer on this much needed reform, and I hope all Super Rugby clubs will follow our lead as we push forward on an aligned Australian Rugby ecosystem."

RA boss Phil Waugh believes an aligned system is essential for the future of the game in Australia.

"We have a plan that we are working on to unite the game - it will take the whole game to rebuild a system that delivers success on and off the field," Waugh said.

"We have agreement from the five Australian Super Rugby clubs that we need to be pursuing an aligned high-performance system and pathways.

"There may be different models across different clubs, however the Waratahs have been very clear that they see great benefits in aligning their commercial operations with RA's, as we look to achieve maximum commercial return and efficiency for the game.

"It will allow the game to develop fully aligned pathways and high-performance structures to deliver lasting success for Australian Super Rugby clubs and our national teams.

"We need to establish a business model that delivers far greater commercial success for all stakeholders in the game - something that we believe a strongly aligned game can deliver."

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...lia-c-12545522

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    A long winded way of saying "They had us snookered, but we went along without a rukus as we are confident the Shore brigade will always look after our interests.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Gaslighting 101

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Doesn't bode well for Force players with Wallaby ambitions.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Rugby's big change to shake 'conflicts and self-interest'

Story by Simon Chapman

The first step in Rugby Australia's strategic reset has been taken with the NSW Rugby Union committing to the national governing body's strategic alignment plan. (Hamish- "my precious"...)

Under the agreement, the NSW Waratahs will be operated by Rugby Australia as of January 1, 2024. (because they are broke)

Rugby Australia will be charged with the Super Rugby Pacific team's high-performance operations including players, coaches, support staff as well as assets, liabilities, and commercial arrangements making up sponsorship, marketing, membership, and ticketing. (Because they have proven to be really good at that stuff)

The state's governing body will remain in charge of the sport at a community level with a particular focus on engagement and participation. (coz they probably can't f*ck that up...)

Rugby Australia confirmed the Waratahs will be governed by a separate board comprising representatives nominated by the respective state and national bodies. (RA assured the NSW and Australian public that it will be situation usual, full of Eastern Suburbs experts)

NSW Rugby Union CEO Paul Doorn said the move would remove self interests and go some way to reinvigorating the sport at state-level. ("and save us from liquidation")

"We are taking this bold step because we strongly believe the federated model for professional Rugby in Australia is unsustainable and that meaningful reform is long overdue," said Doorn. ("Basically, even though we have over half of the Australian Rugby population, we still can't manage to run a Pro Franchise")

"We are committed to the removal of the inherent conflicts and self-interest that have constrained meaningful progress in the past, and we are committed to the alignment of the high-performance and commercial operations between our club and Rugby Australia." (Said the CEO of the most inherently conflicted and self interested Union in World Rugby)

Doorn said he hoped other states would follow NSW Rugby Union's lead and is confident the move will reap rewards for the sport despite recent upheaval and lacklustre results. ("otherwise we are going to look a little bit silly" as he looked around the room for a returned high five...)

"I appreciate questions will be asked about the level of trust and confidence in RA's ability to fully realise the benefits of integration," he explained. ("These questions are entirely justified. Hell, we only gave in as a measure of last resort!")

"These are important questions – however our decision reflects a commitment to deal with any such concern 'inside the tent', playing an active role in the most collaborative way possible. ("It's our tent, hopefully they'll let us keep it...?")

"We are not content to sit on the sidelines any longer on this much needed reform, and I hope all Super Rugby clubs will follow our lead as we push forward on an aligned Australian Rugby ecosystem." ("We've been really shit and are out of ideas.")

Before leaving his post, former Wallabies coach Eddie Jones implored Rugby Australia to focus on greater alignment with the respective state governing bodies. ("How else are you going to afford me?!")

At least one state has previously indicated it will not be following NSW Rugby Union in joining forces with Rugby Australia. (THE HORROR!!!)

Queensland Rugby Union CEO Dave Hanham told 4BC's Wide World of Sports Radio in October that no such move would be forthcoming. ("You'll never take... our !!!")

Rugby Australia CEO Phil Waugh said an agreement had been struck with the Super Rugby Pacific clubs, although that might not necessarily mean taking over the operations entirely. ("The bastards just aren't trusting us!")

"We have a plan that we are working on to unite the game – it will take the whole game to rebuild a system that delivers success on and off the field," said Waugh. ("We are really good at making plans, that's our thing.")

"We have agreement from the five Australian Super Rugby clubs that we need to be pursuing an aligned high-performance system and pathways.

"There may be different models across different clubs (but I'll pretend they're going to relent), however the Waratahs have been very clear that they see great benefits in aligning their commercial operations with RA's, as we look to achieve maximum commercial return and efficiency for the game. (The alternative is unspeakable...)

"I firmly believe that this strategic reset is in the best interests of the game – and crucially, it delivers even greater priority to strengthening the community game; ringfencing investment in the community game and allowing state unions to focus entirely on grassroots and participation without the distraction of professional rugby. (*How did I even get this job* pondered Waugh)

"It will allow the game to develop fully aligned pathways and high-performance structures to deliver lasting success for Australian Super Rugby clubs and our national teams. ("If not, I'm looking for a new job, perhaps Chairman?")

"We need to establish a business model that delivers far greater commercial success for all stakeholders in the game – something that we believe a strongly aligned game can deliver." (*No seriously, even with the backing of the lads, how!?* thought Waugh as he sipped his latte...)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    One broke organisation takes over another broke organisation.

vCash

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David