C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Now that is a proven model I could get on board with

Director of Rugby Nucifora
    Head Coach Schmidt
    Backs/Kicking O'Gara
    A nice "Irish connection" that Ireland's recent success has been built on.

Throw in Forwards, Attack, Defence and you are away.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Hard "no" for mine!

Cheika up for grabs as ex-Wallabies coach departs Argentina role

The Roar

Former Wallabies coach Michael Cheika is back on the market having parted ways with Argentina.

Cheika will be replaced by his assistant Felipe Contepomi who worked alongside Cheika for the past 18 months.

Cheika guided Argentina to the semi-finals of the recent Rugby World Cup in France and was an assistant and adviser to the team for two years before taking charge in March 2022.

Under the Sydneysider, the Pumas beat the All Blacks in New Zealand, the Wallabies in Australia, and England at Twickenham.

They knocked out Wales in the World Cup quarter-finals before losing to the All Blacks in the semis.

“Having been the head coach of Los Pumas fills me with pride, and it is one of the experiences that I enjoyed the most in my career as a coach,” Cheika told the Argentina Rugby Union (UAR) website.

“Although I was born in Australia, a big part of me will be Argentina. I am convinced that Felipe and his staff are going to lead the team in the best way.”

Cheika, who led the Wallabies for five years, coached Australia to the final of the 2015 World Cup. With Eddie Jones still to be replaced as Wallabies coach Cheika at least provides food for thought as Rugby Australia seeks a replacement. He was also linked to a role at the Wests Tigers NRL club before their recent board room turmoil.

At the recent World Cup, he told The Roar he wanted to be involved in the 2027 World Cup in some capacity.

“I’m still on with the (Lebanon) Cedars (rugby league team) and there’s a World Cup that will be in Australia, I think, in 2026 before the Rugby World Cup in 2027. I’m looking forward to being involved in both of those – one way or another,” he said.

The dramatic departure of Eddie Jones as Wallabies coach one season into his five-year deal saw Cheika’s name resurface as a potential candidate.

While new Leicester Tigers coach Dan McKellar and Brumbies mentor Stephen Larkham are other Australian alternatives, Cheika, who coached the Wallabies between 2014 and 2019, has the international experience to be considered for Australia’s rebuild job.

The experienced coach said at the World Cup that he he wouldn’t be lobbying for any other roles until he met with Argentina to determine if he or Contepomi, would lead Los Pumas forward.

“When I was the coach in Australia, I was very loyal and that’s my go,” Cheika said.

The decision is not a major shock, as Cheika flagged the possibility at the end of the World Cup when he said: “I’m very loyal to what’s happening between me and Argentina – that’s my first port of call.

“I’ll go down there in a couple of weeks, and we’ll have a full debrief of what we did and then start making plans for the next World Cup. And then also decide what I’m going to do moving forward.

“The original arrangement was that a young fella who I coached at length – Felipe Contepomi – he’s the guy who is going to take over at some stage.

“We’ll make a decision together on whether they think it’s good for me to stay on in that environment or does he want to go on his own.”

Contepomi was the five-eighth at Irish club Leinster – and Cheika the coach – when they won their first European Cup in 2009.

He played 87 Tests, and was key to Argentina reaching their first Rugby World Cup semi-finals in 2007. Four years later, he captained the Pumas at his fourth World Cup.

Contepomi paid tribute to Cheika, calling it an honour to have worked under the Australian as Argentina’s attack coach and being “grateful for the extraordinary opportunity”.

After he retired from playing in 2014, he learned the coaching ropes with the Argentina XV and Super Rugby Jaguares, before returning to Leinster. Cheika brought him home in 2022.

UAR president Gabriel Travaglini thanked Cheika.

“His professionalism, passion and dedication to Argentine rugby is something we will remember forever,” Travaglini said.

“Today, we are convinced that Felipe is the right person for this new path towards Australia 2027.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Cheika, who coached the Wallabies between 2014 and 2019, has the international experience to be considered for Australia’s rebuild job.
    He's a large part of why we need a rebuild!

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    He's a large part of why we need a rebuild!
    I wont be surprised if he's on the blower to Shane Richardson at the Tigers. He was already lobbying them for a Coaching Director type job before they threw out the baby, the bathwater & the bath last week.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Surely it would only be those connected to him that would suggest it?
    Hopefully they are a minority at the decision table at this point, need a clean break from history.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Silver lining: Medrano has a chance of international honours again. We all know Chieka loathed the idea of a darker shade of blue in international squads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3