Thread: George Smith inducted into World Rugby Hall of Fame

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

George Smith inducted into World Rugby Hall of Fame

Tue, Oct 10, 2023, 8:01 PM
    Nathan Williamson
    by Nathan Williamson

Wallabies legend George Smith has been honoured for his incredible career, set to be inducted into the World Rugby Hall of Fame.

Smith will go into the Hall of Fame at #164 at the World Rugby Awards, set to be held in Paris on October 29, the day after the Rugby World Cup Final.

Watch every game of the Rugby World Cup LIVE on Stan Sport. Start watching Stan Sport now.

He will be inducted alongside Dan Carter (New Zealand), Thierry Dusautoir (France), Juan Martín Hernández (Argentina) and Bryan Habana (South Africa).

Smith is the 19th Australian to go into the Hall of Fame, joining the likes of George Gregan, David Campese, Mark Ella and Nick Farr-Jones.

Fellow inductee and Chairman of the Hall of Fame panel John Eales celebrate the recognition of Smith along with the other legends.

“As our game celebrates another successful Rugby World Cup it is timely to recognise those who have contributed to making our game the wonderful global sport that it is," Eales said in a statement.

"Today we induct a series of rugby players into the World Rugby Hall of Fame who have each thrived on the world stage as exemplars of the athletic requirements of our game, and just as importantly, as ambassadors of the values of our game. Congratulations to our five inductees.”

Smith made his Wallabies debut as a 20-year-old against France in November 2000.

The flanker helped Australia to a series win against the British and Irish Lions and a Tri Nations title before guiding the Wallabies to the 2003 World Cup Final.

Smith played 111 games for the Wallabies, including making a brief return in 2013 to the Test arena.

The two-time John Eales Medalist also played 142 games for the Brumbies along with 22 games for the Queensland Reds in between stints in Japan, France and England.

“Rugby World Cup 2023 is our 200th birthday party, the sport’s greatest celebration of togetherness. We are proud to be inducting five legends of the game, players who are indelibly linked to the remarkable Rugby World Cup story," World Rugby Chairman Bill Beaumont added.

“Each have played a huge role in making the sport what it is today, exciting and inspiring in equal measure, while always being superb ambassadors for their sport. Their impact was greater than the field of play, it transcended sport and society, taking rugby to another level. Congratulations to our inductees. We look forward to celebrating their achievements at the World Rugby Awards in Paris on 29 October.”

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/george...-fame-20231010

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Seems somewhat fitting to be Inducted at the same time as Carter and Habana, those two individually likely appeared in about half of his matches.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    My favourite player of all time. Just such an incredible rugby brain on him.

Very well deserved!

Up yours Phil Waugh!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDom View Post
    My favourite player of all time. Just such an incredible rugby brain on him.

Very well deserved!

Up yours Phil Waugh!
    He might have been for me had he not knocked back my offer of buying him his drink at a Subi bar after a Test

(But ditto to the Cro Magnon Man...)

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    He might have been for me had he not knocked back my offer of buying him his drink at a Subi bar after a Test

(But ditto to the Cro Magnon Man...)
    Back in about 2000-1-ish after a Boks Test @ Subi, a few of us ended up at Crown/Burswood. He, Bernie, Kef and a couple of others were playing blackjack on the main floor. We stood behind and watched a hand or two. Larkham looked around at me and, thinking we were bothering them, I said something like "Don't woory, we'll move along or some such." He goes "No, stay, you're fine. We've been here for half an hour and I reckon you're the first people who've recognised us"

P.S. So a few all time fav players in one place. But all superseded models by, Hodgson, Sharpe, McCalman, Browne, Pocock..........................etc

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Loved watching smith and the way he played. The below is one of my favourite videos with how blessed Aus were in 7s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iXLYBa5YIqw

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Genuinely believe, with another season or two, Carlo can be the next in that company.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.