Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Rugby union’s broadcast rights value tumbles in eyes of private equity firms

vCash
    I mean if you can rid the union of NSW corruption and cronyism the game is sure to improve...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Just saw Rob Kearney questioned on the Australian situation after the car crash in France. Described the problematic sports market and talked about playing in front of only 4000. But said we have the athletes needed but not the coaches.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I have an issue with the mindset around every athlete only wanting to join (or stay with) already successful teams.
    If earning potential is on a parity and conditions professional, I could think of nothing more rewarding than joining a basket case and realising its potential in winning a World Cup or SR title.
    It is why nurturing existing Junior/Schools Rep XV's to keep them in a group mindset with a "shoulder to the wheel" mentality.
    Success isn't a drop in module, you need to build it and the renowned 1977/78 Australian Schoolboys XV (Ellas etc) are testament to this.
    Everyone is different and I am far from needing to make such a decision, but if I was I know I would be running towards the fire, not away from it.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    well,it comes down to their managers self interest,perhaps

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Nice sentiment, but as someone who has on occasion ridden the trough of the professional wave, I can say there is nothing more all 'round annoying, demotivating and depressing than doing something to the best of your ability, then watching it be utterly wasted by someone else through inattention, ignorance or just plain incompetence. If your goal is to do something really well, you need to be somewhere where 'really well' is a valued commodity. And that tends to be amongst peers.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Nice sentiment, but as someone who has on occasion ridden the trough of the professional wave, I can say there is nothing more all 'round annoying, demotivating and depressing than doing something to the best of your ability, then watching it be utterly wasted by someone else through inattention, ignorance or just plain incompetence. If your goal is to do something really well, you need to be somewhere where 'really well' is a valued commodity. And that tends to be amongst peers.
    Fully appreciate that sentiment Andy.
    I was probably aiming (thinking off) at mid to late career players that have choices between staying with a successful entity but likely on the bench, moving overseas to a lower standard to prolong the dream or to invest themselves and pay back the greater Code by leaving a legacy with an upcoming new (to them) entity. While he doesn't quite match that descriptor, I also think/observe Carlo. Clearly he could be playing in many other comps around the globe, presumably for better money, but he has returned to his roots and I greatly respect that.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Going back to the broadcast rights title of the thread, how you can't turn this following quote from World Rugby's RWC Hosting page expressing the situation can only come down to inept leadership to not be able to sell a vision-

"Australia will now host the British and Irish Lions in 2025, followed by the Commonwealth Games in 2026, back-to-back Rugby (M 2027, W 2029) World Cups and then the summer Olympics in Brisbane in 2032."

There are 10 year olds that could/should be aspiring for that home Olympic selection.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Rugby could be on the brink of a Middle Eastern takeover after the Wallabies and the Springboks were approached about huge investment deals.

Qatar's sovereign wealth fund are understood to have expressed an interest in Australian rugby, while Saudi Arabian investors have approached world champions South Africa.

Both unions have held talks with CVC, who already own stakes in the Six Nations, the Premiership and the United Rugby Championship.

The private equity firm have been keen to grow their multi-million-pound portfolio overseas but no deal has been reached after long-running negotiations.

Cash from the oil-rich Middle East has been flooding into football, heavyweight boxers Tyson Fury and Oleksandr Usyk signed a contract to fight in Riyadh and Saudi money has divided golf with the establishment of LIV.

Middle Eastern investors considered buying Formula One in a multi-billion pound deal earlier this year.

Rugby Australia chairman Hamish McLennan told Mail Sport: 'I won't confirm any specific counterparty discussions but we have had interest from the Middle East.'

South Africa Rugby president Mark Alexander declined to comment.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ru...ment-deal.html

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Might not be the carrot for player retention and fan engagement we are looking for...

Wikipedia-
    Judicial corporal punishment is a punishment in Qatar. Only Muslims considered medically fit are liable to have such sentences carried out. Flogging is employed as a punishment for alcohol consumption or illicit sexual relations.[126] Article 88 of Qatar's criminal code declares that the penalty for adultery is 100 lashes,[127] and in 2006, a Filipino woman was sentenced that punishment.[127] In 2010, at least 18 people (mostly foreign nationals) were sentenced to receive between 40 and 100 lashes for offences involving "illicit sexual relations" or alcohol consumption.[128] In 2011, at least 21 people (mostly foreign nationals) were sentenced to between 30 and 100 lashes for the same reasons,[129] and in 2012, six expatriates were sentenced to either 40 or 100 lashes.[126] In April 2013, a Muslim expatriate was sentenced to 40 lashes for alcohol consumption,[130][131][132] and in June 2014, a Muslim expatriate was sentenced to 40 lashes for consuming alcohol and driving under the influence.[133]

Stoning is a legal punishment in Qatar,[134] and apostasy and homosexuality are crimes punishable by the death penalty; however, the penalty has not been carried out for either crime.[135][136] Blasphemy can result in up to seven years in prison, while proselytising can incur a 10-year sentence.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    The latest person to jump on the "cut a Super side" bandwagon" is Michael Lynagh.
    I remember he was very quick to jump on board with Twiggy when he started his new comp.
    I did a quick search and this is what I found.
    "WALLABIES great Michael Lynagh says he became so concerned with the state of Australian rugby he felt compelled to help Andrew Forrest launch the Indo Pacific Rugby Championship.
    However says he became a “concerned Australian rugby citizen” following the axing of the Western Force.
    “I was fairly distressed by it all ... I was quite disturbed and worried,” Lynagh said.
    “Then reading about what Andrew was trying to do ... I just liked what he was doing. That’s where my support for it came out.”
    Is that right Michael?
    Not so distressed now then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Is that right Michael?
    Not so distressed now then.
    I assume a billionaire benefactor hasn't surfaced yet for him to virtue signal with.

C'mon the

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3