Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Barrett out as All Blacks name side for French clash

  1. #1
    Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    West Leederville
    Posts
    16,885
    vCash
    3118000

    Barrett out as All Blacks name side for French clash

    Wed, Sep 6, 2023, 11:03 PM
    Nathan Williamson


    Barrett was racing the clock to be fit after suffering a knee injury in the build up.

    Anton Lienert-Brown has been named to play alongside Rieko Ioane in the centres, with Barrett joining the likes of Brodie Retallick and Shannon Frizell on the sidelines.

    “It is a privilege to play in the opening game of Rugby World Cup 2023,” said All Blacks head coach Ian Foster.

    “What makes it extra special is playing the host nation who are a very proud and in-form team.

    “World Cups are different. The intitial goal is to qualify for the quarterfinals and to do that we must build our game through the pool stage.

    "That starts in game one, where we have an opportunity to compete against one of the clear tournament favourites.”

    Richie Mo'unga will start at flyhalf in his 50th Test cap, with Aaron Smith set to partner him in the halves.

    Sam Cane leads the side in a back-row that includes Dalton Papali'i and Ardie Savea as they prepare to face France for the World Cup-record eighth time.

    The All Blacks also confirmed winger Emoni Narawa will be withdrawn from the squad after suffering a back injury.

    "During the training week in Lyon, winger Emoni Narawa re-injured his back at the end of a field session," the statement said. "Scans revealed a disc issue which has ruled him out for the rest of the tournament.

    "He is set to leave the squad following the opening game in Paris and a decision on his replacement will be made in due course."

    New Zealand (15-1): Beauden Barrett, Will Jordan, Rieko Ioane, Anton Lienert-Brown, Mark Telea, Richie Mo'unga, Aaron Smith, Ardie Savea, Sam Cane (c), Dalton Papali'i, Scott Barrett, Sam Whitelock, Nepo Laulaua.

    Replacements: Samisoni Taukei'aho, Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Fletcher Newell, Tupou Vaa'i, Luke Jacobson, Finlay Christie, David Havili, Leicester Fainga'anuku

    https://www.rugby.com.au/news/all-bl...barrett-202396

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

    Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

    Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

  2. #2
    Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    West Leederville
    Posts
    16,885
    vCash
    3118000
    Boks prefer Willemse over Le Roux for World Cup launch
    Thu, Sep 7, 2023, 4:47 AM
    Reuters
    by Reuters


    South Africa have selected Damian Willemse at fullback and opted for a 6-2 split between forwards and backs on the bench for the opening game of their Rugby World Cup defence against Scotland in Marseille.

    Willie le Roux, the long-time first-choice number 15 for the Springboks, is among the replacements with the versatile Willemse preferred against Scotland, who are likely to take the game to South Africa on Sunday with ball in hand.

    Wingers Kurt-Lee Arendse and Cheslin Kolbe make up a pacey back three, and Damian de Allende and Jesse Kriel are a change to the centre pairing from the side that thumped New Zealand by a record 35-7 in their final warm-up game in London.

    Jasper Wiese takes over at No.8 from 37-year-old Duane Vermeulen, who drops to the bench, but the rest of the pack remains the same with the only backs among the replacements being half-back Grant Williams and Le Roux.

    South Africa's backline suggests they will be looking to run the ball, with flyhalf Manie Libbok the conductor if they can get dominance from their forwards in the Pool B game.

    "We believe this group of players strikes the right balance to achieve the result we need against Scotland," coach Jacques Nienaber said.

    "We've been working hard in the last few weeks to make sure we are as prepared as possible going into this match and we are fully aware of the challenge that awaits us."

    Much has been made of South Africa's preferred 6-2 split on the bench, which is intended to give them an "80-minute game" in the forward pack by bringing on players of equal quality to the starters with fresh legs in the second half.

    "Scotland are a quality team with a strong pack and skilful backs, and they play with a lot of intensity, so we need to be sharp on attack and defence on Sunday," said Nienaber.

    South Africa team: Damian Willemse, Kurt-Lee Arendse, Jesse Kriel, Damian de Allende, Cheslin Kolbe, Manie Libbok, Faf de Klerk, Jasper Wiese, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Siya Kolisi (capt), Franco Mostert, Eben Etzebeth, Frans Malherbe, Malcolm Marx, Steven Kitshoff.

    Replacements: Bongi Mbonambi, Ox Nche, Trevor Nyakane, RG Snyman, Marco van Staden, Duane Vermeulen, Grant Williams, Willie le Roux.

    https://www.rugby.com.au/news/spring...se-team-202396

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

    Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

    Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

  3. #3
    Immortal Contributor
    Moderator
    Burgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Country WA
    Posts
    22,725
    vCash
    366000
    I think my head is going to explode with a couple of months of 15-1, 16-23...

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

    Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

  4. #4
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2023
    Location
    In a ruck
    Posts
    140
    vCash
    5070000
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Wed, Sep 6, 2023, 11:03 PM
    Nathan Williamson


    Barrett was racing the clock to be fit after suffering a knee injury in the build up.

    Anton Lienert-Brown has been named to play alongside Rieko Ioane in the centres, with Barrett joining the likes of Brodie Retallick and Shannon Frizell on the sidelines.

    “It is a privilege to play in the opening game of Rugby World Cup 2023,” said All Blacks head coach Ian Foster.

    “What makes it extra special is playing the host nation who are a very proud and in-form team.

    “World Cups are different. The intitial goal is to qualify for the quarterfinals and to do that we must build our game through the pool stage.

    "That starts in game one, where we have an opportunity to compete against one of the clear tournament favourites.”

    Richie Mo'unga will start at flyhalf in his 50th Test cap, with Aaron Smith set to partner him in the halves.

    Sam Cane leads the side in a back-row that includes Dalton Papali'i and Ardie Savea as they prepare to face France for the World Cup-record eighth time.

    The All Blacks also confirmed winger Emoni Narawa will be withdrawn from the squad after suffering a back injury.

    "During the training week in Lyon, winger Emoni Narawa re-injured his back at the end of a field session," the statement said. "Scans revealed a disc issue which has ruled him out for the rest of the tournament.

    "He is set to leave the squad following the opening game in Paris and a decision on his replacement will be made in due course."

    New Zealand (15-1): Beauden Barrett, Will Jordan, Rieko Ioane, Anton Lienert-Brown, Mark Telea, Richie Mo'unga, Aaron Smith, Ardie Savea, Sam Cane (c), Dalton Papali'i, Scott Barrett, Sam Whitelock, Nepo Laulaua.

    Replacements: Samisoni Taukei'aho, Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Fletcher Newell, Tupou Vaa'i, Luke Jacobson, Finlay Christie, David Havili, Leicester Fainga'anuku

    https://www.rugby.com.au/news/all-bl...barrett-202396
    Playing with one front rower is ambitious

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Veteran Sheikh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    4,902
    vCash
    28894136
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I think my head is going to explode with a couple of months of 15-1, 16-23...
    Quite simple compared to the way teams used to be reported in the UK: 15-9, 1-5, 6, 8, 7, 16-22 (back then!)

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

  6. #6
    Immortal Contributor
    Moderator
    Burgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Country WA
    Posts
    22,725
    vCash
    366000
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Quite simple compared to the way teams used to be reported in the UK: 15-9, 1-5, 6, 8, 7, 16-22 (back then!)
    The Barbarians telecast graphic had almost that except 1-8 (ie 15-9, 1-8. Didn't display bench, I think maybe as they didn't know Northampton's full bench)
    Mind you, they also had a blank spot for a "Heah Coach"... and some interesting spelling of names...

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

    Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

  7. #7
    Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    West Leederville
    Posts
    16,885
    vCash
    3118000
    Name:  FB_IMG_1694397670496.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  96.4 KB

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

    Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

    Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 20-11-19, 05:45
  2. Dan Carter out of test, Barrett into All Blacks
    By Happy in forum New Zealand
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-09-12, 18:36
  3. Aussie fly-half to quit French side
    By travelling_gerry in forum Scott Daruda
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 21-01-10, 00:17
  4. All Blacks confirm side for Aussie clash
    By force addict in forum New Zealand
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-08, 12:23
  5. Umaga signs with French side
    By NewsBot in forum News Feeds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-06-06, 10:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •