Thread: Hooper, Ikitau left out of Wallabies squad in major World Cup shocks

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Hooper, Ikitau left out of Wallabies squad in major World Cup shocks

Iain Payten and Tom Decent
    Updated August 10, 2023
    First Published - Sydney Morning Herald

The celebrated Wallabies career of 125-Test great Michael Hooper has likely come to a close after the Australian co-captain was left out of Eddie Jones’ squad for the Rugby World Cup.

In a major selection shock, Hooper was informed on Wednesday he would not be part of the 33-man squad travelling to France for the tournament, which starts next month, because of concerns about his lingering calf injury.

In a remarkable sequence of play, Tom Hooper put the All Blacks defence to shame by bursting through for the second Wallabies try in Dunedin.

In another huge omission, star centre Len Ikitau has also been left out of the squad due to a shoulder injury, and veteran forward Jed Holloway is also set to miss out on a spot when Eddie Jones reveals the squad on Thursday night from Darwin.

Young Queensland No.7 Fraser McReight, who started for the Wallabies against New Zealand at the weekend in Dunedin, will be named in the squad, according to informed sources. Waratahs five-eighth Ben Donaldson is also set to be named by Jones.

The omission of both Hooper and Ikitau appear to share a common reason: Jones’ unwillingness to take players who may not be fit for the opening game.

A first-choice No.13 for several years, Ikitau suffered a broken shoulder against Argentina while scoring a try, and his forecast recovery time of six to eight weeks took him up to the eve of the Rugby World Cup.

Hooper, the third-most capped Wallabies player ever, started against the Springboks last month but has missed the last three Tests for the Wallabies after picking up a calf injury in training ahead of Australia’s second Rugby Championship game against Argentina in Sydney.

A speedy return was initially forecast but Hooper’s recovery was slower than expected. Jones first revealed after the first Bledisloe Cup game at the MCG that Hooper was no certainty to make the Rugby World Cup, given the doubts about his calf injury.

“Michael Hooper has a serious injury and when you have got a serious injury, there are deadlines and we need to find out the deadline on it,” Jones said.

“When you have got a calf injury, sometimes you don’t know how quickly you can recover.”

Hooper had returned to running and informed sources said the 31-year-old’s calf injury was expected to be right for the Wallabies’ opening game at the Rugby World Cup, against Georgia in Paris on September 9.

But Jones appears to have decided not to take the chance, even factoring in Hooper’s immense experience and proven track record as two-time World Cup representative. Hooper played in the 2015 Rugby World Cup final and captained the Wallabies at the 2019 Rugby World Cup, and some pundits had pencilled in Hooper on leadership grounds alone, particularly given Allan Alaalatoa’s season-ending injury in Melbourne.

But with McReight and Tom Hooper having stepped up in Hooper’s brief absence, Jones has thrown his faith in the youngsters. Informed sources say Hooper’s co-captain James Slipper is in the squad.

Short of a mid-tournament call-up due to injury, the omission is almost certain to draw a curtain on Hooper’s distinguished career for the Wallabies.

Hooper announced earlier this year he would not be continuing with the Waratahs in Super Rugby, and is weighing up three options next year: retirement, playing overseas or a stint for the Australian sevens team.

There is always a chance Hooper could get a call-up for the Wallabies from overseas, as a Giteau Law pick, but the Manly flanker has previously indicated the 2023 Rugby World Cup would be his Test swansong.

Missing selection represents a melancholic exit for Hooper, who has been consistently outstanding for the Wallabies since debuting in 2012.

The tireless flanker captained Australia in 2014 at the age of 22, which made him the youngest Wallabies captain since Ken Catchpole in 1961. Hooper holds the record for most games as Wallabies captain, with 69 appearances, and sits only behind George Gregan and Slipper for most Wallabies caps.

Hooper won eight Matt Burke medals in 10 seasons for the Waratahs, and was interim captain of NSW when the franchise won its maiden Super Rugby title in 2014.

In 2021 collected a record fourth John Eales medal - the peer-voted award for the best player in the Wallabies.

In August last year, Hooper stepped away from the Wallabies to take a break for mental health reasons, but returned on the Wallabies’ Spring Tour.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Senior Player
    vCash
    Going by all these rumours, Fines might still be a bolter's chance.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    According to The Roar - Quade is out too

Exile
    Sydney

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I don't really know why, but I've never liked Hooper... maybe its because of all that stupid hair?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Finesy!!!!

My mail was good

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Fines, Donaldson and White.

With only one flyhalf and us having two of the scrumhalves, we could at least see two of our boys(and future boys) in each match

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Australian Rugby World Cup Squad

WALLABIES 2023 WORLD CUP SQUAD

Forwards:

Hookers: Dave Porecki, Jordan Uelese, Matt Faessler

Props: Angus Bell, James Slipper, Blake Schoupp, Taniela Tupou, Pone Fa’amausili, Zane Nonggorr

Locks: Richie Arnold, Nick Frost, Will Skelton, Matt Philip

Back-row: Tom Hooper, Rob Leota, Fraser McReight, Rob Valetini, Langi Gleeson

Backs:

Halfbacks: Tate McDermott, Nic White, Issak Fines-Leleiwasa

Fly-halves: Carter Gordon

Centres: Samu Kerevi, Jordan Petaia, Izaia Perese, Lalakai Foketi,

Outside backs: Mark Nawaqanitawase, Suliasi Vunivalu, Marika Koroibete, Andrew Kellaway, Max Jorgensen

Utility: Ben Donaldson, Josh Kemeny

Exile
    Sydney

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Just a thought.

In 2011 New Zealand went thru 3 or 4 Scrum-Halves on their way to the Final.

We have selected 1.

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    Just a thought.

In 2011 New Zealand went thru 3 or 4 Scrum-Halves on their way to the Final.

We have selected 1.
    I assume you mean Fly-Halves not Scrum-Halves?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    My take on it is they will be relying on Donaldson to cover immediate injury and will have Australia A on hand with more experienced options there.
    The commentary was around others in the Squad having played there, but I don't know who and certainly not at a RWC. At a pinch maybe one of the 9's on match day coverage.
    I thought it was telling how Eddie replied to being asked if Cooper would be in the Australia A Squad, the Mr Cool act may have come to an end with non-selection and dummy spat. I believe the decision was made after Argentina. I watched his first half on the spider cam option and he was honestly ordinary and terrible communication. Barely touched the ball and was far more visible being hidden in defence given how much of it was happening in that match.
    Added- in watching a second time, noted it is O'Connor who is in Darwin to offer extra bodies.

As per Herr Kommandant above, I have never been a big Hooper fan, probably more from his Waratah privilege displacement of Pocock more than hair envy, but I do feel for him (probably) going out this way, he had earned the right to a playing finale.

But for me, the biggest brain explosion in reading the names was Skelton as Captain! I'll get behind it, but how a known 60 minute player who has never captained a team can be considered the team leader in the biggest tournament on earth... I hope I'm wrong. At Test level, no matter what his French form is, I see him as a final 25-30 minute impact player, not a locked in starter.

So either the VC needs to play 80 or will start off the bench. Once I saw Skelton and McDermott I had assumed that White would be a Co-VC, or Slipper, but just the two nominated positions is quite strange. Might be a good novelty bet X, "Wallaby Captain at end of match"...

As for Vunivalu, if talking refreshing... I just don't see it there.

Otherwise, if I'm totally honest, I'm actually pretty comfortable with what Eddie has gone with given the cattle he had available.

Last edited by Burgs; 10-08-23 at 20:29.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Interesting Bell and Kerevi join Skelton and McDermott in the main publicity shot. Wonder if that indicates official leadership roles, or just marketing?

Also, for those watching you may have noticed the one armed indigenous fella doing some business.
    I am confident he must be the same bloke I watched playing for NT Schools in Perth in (I think) '89.
    As I recall played on the left wing so his arm was sideline for catching and seriously used his stump as a battering ram!
    He was a bloody useful player and I guess, given his prominent role tonight, maybe he played on beyond Schools.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I assume you mean Fly-Halves not Scrum-Halves?
    Correct - thanks mate.

Exile
    Sydney

Player
    vCash
    Well done Isaac …. So deserving ! Brilliant. He’ll make a difference .

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsetal06 View Post
    Well done Isaac …. So deserving ! Brilliant. He’ll make a difference .
    Awesome for Isaac.

I am not convinced that Donaldson should be there but the experience will be a benefit for us I am sure come next year

Ikitau I was hoping would be back in time so that is a big loss

Pete samu should be there and I would have taken Wright over Vunivalu

vCash
    I reckon Donaldson will bench every match unless he starts (maybe a start against Portugal)

There is literally no other option to back up 10 and donno could play 15 and maybe at a pinch 12 and wing. I think it's the only possibility to cover the important positions in case of injury.

C'mon the

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast