Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: This is going to dig up old wounds

vCash

This is going to dig up old wounds

This feels like a bit of a kick in the gut to start Monday morning on:

Rugby Victoria Life Member Tim North KC on being recognised in the 2023 King’s Birthday Honours List, having been awarded the Order of Australia Medal in recognition of his outstanding contributions to the sport"

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Champion
    vCash
    Remember this from three years ago.
    I haven't
    https://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=41371
    And just in case anyone has forgotten what a lovely bloke North is here's a couple of reminders - not that I'm bitter or anything.

Rugby Australia emails show Western Force didn’t stand a chance
    Nick Taylor, Exclusive
    PerthNow
    December 3, 2017 12:02PM
    FURTHER evidence has emerged that Rugby Australia helped orchestrate the sale of the Melbourne Rebels to the Victorian Rugby Union, effectively signing the Western Force’s Super Rugby death warrant.
    Details have surfaced in an email, obtained by The Sunday Times, that was sent from RA’s former legal counsel Richard Hawkins to VRU chairman Tim North.
    It was sent on July 11, less than a month before RA closed the Force.
    X
    Meanwhile The Sunday Times has obtained the Special Funding Agreement between RA and the Rebels that handed them $4.5 million over two years.
    The confidential document, signed by RA’s outgoing chief executive Bill Pulver and chairman Cameron Clyne, and Rebels chairman Tim North and director Owen Stone, is dated October 6, one month after the Force was chopped.
    X
    The West Australian has a letter from RugbyWA lawyers Lavan to Tim North, president of the VRU that owns the Rebels, after it bought the Super Rugby licence for $1 from private owner Andrew Cox last month.
    The letter claims Mr North told Force chief executive Mark Sinderberry in June he was given a copy of the agreement while RugbyWA was at the centre of the battle to stay alive.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    aint the King's honours a wonderful thing!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Mr North told Force chief executive Mark Sinderberry in June he was given a copy of the agreement while RugbyWA was at the centre of the battle to stay alive.
    Damn. All this time I've been under the impression that that copy of the agreement magically appeared on his desk and he had no idea how it got there. I thought it must have been beamed in by somebody with access to such tech, maybe like Commander Montgomery Scott or Spock. Spooky.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    If you keep picking, it will never heal.

Time to move on

We’re still here & will eventually become stronger than we have ever been

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDom View Post
    but if we completely forget about it, the same mistakes might happen.

I believe it is 100% time to look forward, but to ignore the completely unresolved political machinations at the higher levels of Rugby Australia will ensure that we're on the knife edge of being assed as soon as we begin to build some success.

I believe little has actually changed, despite there being a whole new raft of personalities and rhetoric. Phil Waugh now CEO, Eddie Jones potentially looking no farther than Penrith for potential Wallabies, Hamish McLennan being as public a chair as Cameron Clyne, The rebels being talked up at every opportunity by all and sundry despite finishing second last. It all looks a bit close to 2017 for me to be completely comfortable to forget. All it will take is another dip in form from the Tahs and the Sydney Mafia will be baying to reduce teams so they can get their hands on some of the talent.

Thankfully, Twiggy is now a very public supporter of the Force and I think RA know what sort of a shit fight they'll have on their hands if they decide on a rematch. But that won't necessarily stop the Tim Norths of this world, because laws don't consistently apply.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Time to move on

Spot on Dom,

In fact I believe we are already stronger then where we were in 2016/17

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    but if we completely forget about it, the same mistakes might happen.

I believe it is 100% time to look forward, but to ignore the completely unresolved political machinations at the higher levels of Rugby Australia will ensure that we're on the knife edge of being assed as soon as we begin to build some success.

I believe little has actually changed, despite there being a whole new raft of personalities and rhetoric. Phil Waugh now CEO, Eddie Jones potentially looking no farther than Penrith for potential Wallabies, Hamish McLennan being as public a chair as Cameron Clyne, The rebels being talked up at every opportunity by all and sundry despite finishing second last. It all looks a bit close to 2017 for me to be completely comfortable to forget. All it will take is another dip in form from the Tahs and the Sydney Mafia will be baying to reduce teams so they can get their hands on some of the talent.

Thankfully, Twiggy is now a very public supporter of the Force and I think RA know what sort of a shit fight they'll have on their hands if they decide on a rematch. But that won't necessarily stop the Tim Norths of this world, because laws don't consistently apply.
    I don't think we will ever get humped like that again mate. We're well aware of what can happen.

Vigilance is healthy. Hyper-vigilance is a mental illness.

We need to avoid the mediocrity we accepted last time. We have all the pieces in place this time (coaches & hierarchy). The biggest thing is getting non WA staff & players to buy in to what we're doing here & keep them hanging around.

If we can't do that, then unfortunately we'll always be ordinary

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash

Time to move on

Yes, we may have moved on, however, we will never forget.

It is extremely difficult to do. That is because certain people’s behaviors and actions at the time are significant episodes that affected peoples jobs, lives and well being and these are stored as memories that cannot be simply erased.

Note: If you need a reminder just go watch that Matt Hodgson video at the time

Last edited by Tazzmania; 13-06-23 at 09:20.
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Yes, we may have moved on, however, we will never forget.

It is extremely difficult to do. That is because certain people’s behaviors and actions at the time are significant episodes that affected peoples jobs, lives and well being and these are stored as memories that cannot be simply erased.

Note: If you need a reminder just go watch that Matt Hodgson video at the time
    Sorry Tazz. If we'd moved on we wouldn't be writing on this thread. I remember very well. I was stood next to Sindenberry after the Kings game when he got the call.

Yes it is extremely difficult. But, holding on to it is a personal choice. You can't do anything about what happened, but it is ENTIRELY your decision on what you do with it from there. Your reaction is your choice.

A lot of shit went down. People do bad things when they are trying to survive. They tried to destroy us, and despite the cost to everyone involved.... they failed. And now we are back. It will make all those upcoming years of success all that more enjoyable.

We have the best support in the country, and as they say "what doesn't kill you....

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    As far as the Melbourne team goes - well and truly moved on. I watch them now and hope they do well - with the obvious exception. Really like watching Hardwick killing it. I'm in no way obsessed with the past, but, like GIGS says, I'm not convinced of meaningful change yet. That, despite positive declarations. it needs actual change on Wallaby contracting, salary cap etc. Or it could still be "Meet the New Boss - Same as the Old Boss" - the title ahead of those lyrics sums it up.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    it needs actual change on Wallaby contracting, salary cap etc.
    To be fair, the Wallaby contracting situation has shifted a bit in favour of "expansion" franchises with the requirement to pay the first 200K, We've picked up White through this and I think Donaldson is just waiting for the official announcement?

Salary cap increases for teams outside the "heartland" is a pipe dream, sure the AFL can do it, but the big wigs in Sydney and Brisbane will never go for it.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    To be fair, the Wallaby contracting situation has shifted a bit in favour of "expansion" franchises with the requirement to pay the first 200K,
    Yep, that's good. On the evidence of the past couple of years Rodda seems to be the only Wallaby level player who chose to come and stay for a while, rather than being squeezed out, far as I can see. Hopeful but not convinced yet.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    As far as the Melbourne team goes - well and truly moved on...
    My dislike of the Rebels, most things Melbourne and most things Victoria goes well beyond 2017...
    Have never liked the Rebels, seen them given absolute favoritism at the expense of the Force since Founding and Hardwick needs a clip under the ear...

ps, having a shit afternoon, don't mind me...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post

ps, having a shit afternoon, don't mind me...

This no ill will to the players biz does not extend to the other Victorian mob who stole a team from Perth. Friggin smug maroon twats.

Last edited by shasta; 13-06-23 at 16:50.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast