View Poll Results: Eddie Jones should...

Voters
7. This poll is closed
  • Continue with the same team of 22 as available.

0 0%
  • Make a couple of strategic changes and stay with the original game plan.

0 0%
  • Hold several hard-core trainings & inform all players this is last chance to impress.

1 14.29%
  • Have a major rethink of personnel, tactics and basically start again.

6 85.71%
  • Tender his resignation at the end of the tour.

0 0%
  • Tender his resignation effective immediately.

0 0%

Thread: Poll: Wallabies Tour 1st Report

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Poll: Wallabies Tour 1st Report

Following the 42-12 victory by Australia A over the French Barbarians and the Wallabies 26-16 loss to France what should Eddie Jones do in the lead up to confronting England next weekend at Twickenham?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Thier game hasn't improved, time to actually shake things up a bit rather than just a few token changes. Its a pity that the tour had to start with arguably the strongest team we'll face this November.

Full credit to the French - they played a damn fine game of football! Monsoir Grippage must be prety happy with his beloved Coq

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Let face it Burgs - Eddie Jones has got stick to the pool of players he has got.

I would think the instability of the scrum and line out would cause him to consider the packs selection again though.

Line outs were a disaster from whilst to whilst and to an extent Cannons throwing was almost on the money on the whole and the locks performed well - It is my opinion that the support players were not doing their jobs properley.

The back row did not make a difference at the tackle and were not there in support in attack.

A critism of Eddie's plan and George's captaincy was that George Smith is not 117kg's and 192cm like David Lyons he is only 104kg's and 180cm - So why did they use him as a battering ram in first place and after 3rd or 4th time of Smith getting out muscled and driven back, why didn't they change the major ball carrier? Elsom, Sharpe, Turinui, Sailor, Tuqiri could all have filled that roll.

Matt Giteau did not produce at 10, Rogers give it a go, but for what it's worth Johansson may as well be thrown in there, none of them are a patch on Larkham in my opinion.

Tuqiri was out of the game, when he was in the game he was lost with his lines of running.

Did Turinui play?

I don't know what Jones intends to do, from all I read and heard he is likely stay pretty rigid in his selection, but I could be wrong! I have been before........

Personally though, I would select Fitter, Cannon and Holmes to search for that platform at lineout time as well as in the scrum - Moore and Baxter in reserve.

Partner Sharpe up with Elsom, he had a good game against the French but he is not a flank forward at this level as is McMeniman who would be in reserve. This is where the ball carrying should take place.

Return Smith to the Blind, Roe in at 8 and leave Waugh on the open - but I would put them all on notice by adding Fava as total back row coverage to the bench.

Gregs.....with Giteau as on field reserve half if required.

Rogers back at 10, Giteau one out with a new partner Johansson starting, as a start to the shaking up of the backline, Turinui to the bench to provide the heat for all 3 of them.

Sailor and Mitchell on the wings, the Wallabies man of the French match Latham remains at 15. I'd have Tuqiri on the bench along with Gerrard to be brought on in the 2nd half for 11, 14 or 15!!!

Jones and Gregan have both talked about confidence being low and the difficulty in getting it back. I would suggest for the time being they replace that with the fear of losing their position!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Brother Gallagher I hear you

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'm more in favour of Tuquiri starting than Sailor if nothing else than I feel Sailor is more effective fresh in the second half against tiring opposition. He isn't as rounded a player as Lote and it was the big hits in the second half that made him his name originally. But possibly more so though that I think his ego balloon needs a bit of a needle slid through it! Get him to focus on his trade rather than his rep.
    The toughest decisions probably do still remain around the front row, there is no doubt that Cannon still has great games in him and it would be unfair to dump all the lineout problems from Saturday on him. As with other incumbents though he needs to sharpen up his general in play skills.
    It is interesting that Sharpey has continued pretty much teflon coated post match. I felt he made far more and worse rugby skills mistakes than Chisholm, Cannon or even Dunney, just maybe not at such critical times. I hope Mitch has a pretty comprehensive pre season lined up for him because in my eyes he is still some way from an automatic Wallaby starter. In other eras he would be lucky to make the bench and indeed if Vickerman was on tour then he would have reason to be very nervous for his position.
    Not sure on your Elsom call though no.8? I've never really heard of him playing in the second row and I think it may be better letting him keep going at 6 and bringing McMenimen straight on for a first start.
    Apparently in the Australian there is an article which says McM is the most feared tackler in the Wallaby squad at training and his character stands at a great height for me in the way he stood down after the Bundy Series to work on his bulk and skills. A genuine future star for mine. His 110kg/200cm is would put in front of Elsoms 106kg/197cm as well.
    With Turinui, I agree, did he play!?! The only evidence is that Lote kept getting smashed in tackles and giving away penalties so you would assume that a few of those passes came from Morgan! Promised so much in Super 12 this year but has gone MIA since.
    The noises coming out of the touring party coaching staff would indicate that several changes are on there way but Eddie made such noises before, I hope this time they go the course and actually make some big calls.

vCash
    Latest reading indicates peripheral changes - Henjak in Whittaker out, Gerrard in and Mitchell out and Johansson in Turinui out. Haven't heard any whispers on Scottie Fava - would love to see him ripping up the poms!

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    Mitchell Out

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    It would seem unfair if that's the case with Mitchell, I thought he put in a good showing for his brief time on the paddock!

vCash
    and if latest latest rumors are right - he will get another run

lets hope he keeps up the good work!