Thread: Folau fit for Force debut in Super Round clash

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Folau fit for Force debut in Super Round clash

Thu, Mar 2, 2023, 8:50 AM
    by Western Force Media

Folau Fainga'a and Manasa Mataele return to face the Reds after a cautious late withdrawal in Round 1.

Fainga'a has proven fit, and will start at hooker for the first time in the Force jersey. Consistent front rowers Robertson and Medrano add weight against a hard-hitting Reds uniform.

Mataele returns to the right wing after pulling up tight moments before the team was due to run on at HBF Park. Mataele was one of just two players to make 1000+ metres from their carries in last season's Super Rugby campaign (1023m) and also made the joint-second most line breaks of any player in the competition last term (14). His power through contact will be welcomed heading into a strong Reds defence.

Fresh out of his short-lived retirement, comeback king Jeremy Thrush earns a start after securing the match-winning try in the final minutes of last week's home game, partnering with Williams as the locking combination makes for an exciting duo.

Commanding the breakdown, the heavily contested back-row sees Anstee, Wells, and Callan obtain their starting positions as loose forwards.

Shifting the pace of the game with his speed and agility in the second half, Issak Fines-Leleiwasa starts at scrum-half. Facing their former side, experienced Hegarty and Stewart, with near 200 Super Rugby caps between them, are nearby at fly-half and inside centre, aiding the rhythm early on.

Kuenzle provides another kicking option at #13, with Tiatia set for another class act at full-back.

https://westernforce.rugby/news/fola...d-clash-202332

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Name:  FqLSF_hXoAMNl5F.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  97.9 KB

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Decent looking team. No Pulu is interesting - would definitely have him over Kibirige and Strachan, so hopefully he's not injured.
    Would've also preferred to see Kalapu or Pugh starting over Thrush, who we really should just be using as a temporary stopgap.

I have a bad feeling this round might bring us crashing back to reality. The Reds team will be fired up after getting smashed in Round 1 and they have a hell of a lot of firepower that we'll likely struggle to contain.

vCash
    Reds team:
    1. Dane Zander – University of Queensland – St Joseph’s Nudgee College – Albany Creek Brumbies
    2. Matt Faessler – Brothers – Toowoomba Grammar School – USQ Saints
    3. Zane Nonggorr – Bond University – The Southport School – Gold Coast Eagles
    4. Ryan Smith – Brothers – St Patrick’s College Shorncliffe – Caboolture Snakes
    5. Seru Uru – Wests – Ratu Kadavulevu School, Fiji – Namoli Rugby Club, Fiji
    6. Liam Wright (cc) – Easts – Anglican Church Grammar School – Easts
    7. Fraser McReight – Brothers – Brisbane Grammar School – Albany Creek Brumbies
    8. Harry Wilson – Brothers – St Joseph’s College Gregory Terrace – Gunnedah Red Devils
    9. Tate McDermott – University of Queensland – Sunshine Coast Grammar School – Flinders Rugby Club
    10. Tom Lynagh – University of Queensland – Epsom College – Richmond Rugby Club
    11. Filipo Daugunu – Wests – Dogotuki District School, Fjii
    12. Hunter Paisami – Wests – Mangere College, Auckland
    13. Josh Flook – Brothers – St Joseph’s Nudgee College – Brothers
    14. Suliasi Vunivalu – Wests – Saint Kentigern College, Auckland
    15. Jordan Petaia – Wests – Brisbane State High School
    16. Richie Asiata – Easts – Anglican Church Grammar School
    17. Sef Fa’agase – Sunnybank – Shailer Park State High School – Beaudesert Warriors
    18. Peni Ravai – Easts – Ratu Kadavulevu School, Fiji
    19. Jake Upfield – Bond University – The Southport School
    20. Connor Anderson – Wests – Brisbane State High School – Everton Park Roosters
    21. Kalani Thomas – University of Queensland – Ipswich Grammar School – Souths
    22. James O’Connor – Brothers – St Joseph’s Nudgee College – Brothers
    23. Jock Campbell* – University of Queensland – The Southport School – Inverell Highlanders

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chiraag View Post
    Decent looking team. No Pulu is interesting - would definitely have him over Kibirige and Strachan, so hopefully he's not injured.
    Would've also preferred to see Kalapu or Pugh starting over Thrush, who we really should just be using as a temporary stopgap.

I have a bad feeling this round might bring us crashing back to reality. The Reds team will be fired up after getting smashed in Round 1 and they have a hell of a lot of firepower that we'll likely struggle to contain.
    Pulu came off against the Rebels. In the after match meet and greet he seemed to have strapping on. So talented but just cannot stay injury free.

Very keen to see how Bayley goes at 13, looked the goods v Rebels, and certainly gives us more versatility with Hegarty, Stewart and himself.

Pugh is a bit small for lock and I am much happier for him to get a late run in the back row rather.

Kalapu with his energy and enthusiasm may be a tester for a tiring team at the at the back end of the game.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Looking at those team lists

Our set piece should dominate, Our tight 5 vs their tight 5 is a significant difference, but I'd think our backrow is going to have a lot of work. Reds BR is bigger, stronger and smarter than the Rebs, so the slow start simply cannot happen.

I reckon wings will cancel each other out, with Vunivalu seeming like a bit of a wet squib at the moment but Daugunu being clearly better than Strachan. Hope I'm not being too optimistic here.

The inside backs will be interesting, Hunter Paisami was accused of having a horrible game last week and I hope that's not addressed this week, but it will be great to see Hamish Stewart try to prove that being relegated to utility back status was a mistake. This for mine will be the matchup of the evening. Flook vs Kuenzle I'd say will be a points decision to Kuenzle and Hegarty will work to prove the adage that old age and treatchery beats youth and skill.

Fines and McDermott will also be a battle to watch.

I reckon, if the Force want to have a chance in this one, they need to play as much of the game as they can with the ball out of play, set piece after set piece after set piece, with everything coming from scrums and lineouts, where the Reds are weak. The instant we get into phase rugby, the reds backrow will start to feast on our breakdown and that will give Paisami and Petaia room to move. That's likely to end very badly for us.

so Scrums, Lineouts and tackle tackle tackle.

C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chiraag View Post

Sorry chiraag, But I disagree

I think we got this one.

Thrush starting is a good thing. I have said it once, and I will say it again. He makes the Force play better when he is on the paddock. Our pack has more experience. Our loose forwards are much more mobile and Tim Anstee will outwork the Reds back 3 on his own.

As for the Reds. They were good - 18 months ago. It seems that Brad Thorn doesn't communicate very well with his squad. Paisami is hot and cold, and Jordan Petaia is the most over-rated Australian rugby player.

In Simon Cron we trust.

Force by 7

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post

Thrush starting is a good thing. I have said it once, and I will say it again. He makes the Force play better when he is on the paddock.
    Well that has been true and he was capable of big minutes. With a 1 week preseason I suppose all we should hope for is that he can rule the lineout for half a game, and help the boys play the way GIGS is expecting. More than that won't shock me though. Folau can wander in and out of games but is a strong scrummager so our front 3 should be at least on par. Trench warfare is not pretty but I'll take an ugly win any day. Get an early break and repeat that second half flair from last week would be nice too.

vCash
    Will be very happy indeed to be provide wrong GIGS!