Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ra threatens to walk away from Super Rugby

vCash
    NZ'ers whining about RA acting in their own interests. The hypocrisy is almost hilarious. Almost.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    NZ'ers whining about RA acting in their own interests. The hypocrisy is almost hilarious. Almost.
    Here are the actual quotes from Jeff Wilson, Mils Muliaina, and Sir John Kirwan

Video has been queued up for your convenience

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post

Video has been queued up for your convenience
    Well it actually wasn't but I found it on my TV. Hilarious.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Well it actually wasn't but I found it on my TV. Hilarious.
    my apologies

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    It is a pity there seems to be no ongoing commitment to the GRR. With all the current posturing, imagine the interest that would have been generated if right after the England tour, the Force squad started playing weekly rugby again. Even more so if it featured some of the Japanese teams.
    Would love to see a return of GRR or the NRC. Truth be told, for a long time I thought the Force/Spirit home games in the NRC were the highlight of the season. And on a side note, speaking of Japan, if either the GRR or NRC doesn't re-emerge -or we get the arse from Super Rugby again once the pandemic is over- I'd love to see WA (as the Perth Gold, Spirit or Force Gold) playing in the new Japanese league. We wouldn't have to be SuperRugby level to be competitive, we could field a lot of local talent and compete.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I'd be happy to take MP and the Drua into a domestic comp. The issue is equitable distribution of revenue. Play fair.
    That's not a bad idea, the Drua were already an NRC team, so adding a Polynesian team wouldn't hurt

Last edited by chibi; 21-06-22 at 22:17.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I'll be honest, people keep talking up the idea of Japan joining in some sort of Champions League, but I simply can't see it. With all the best will in the world, I just can't see the Japanese teams being competitive at that level. Half the problem with SR is that it's become a predictable procession, and that will be the case in spades if the Japanese teams go up against the likes of the Blues and Crusaders.

A couple of teams could maybe do it by abandoning all 'Japanese-ness' and just buying the Crusaders, but that would only turn their Top League into an absolute joke and I don't see them doing that. So for mine the logical thing would be for Japan to put a Wolf-pack style team into a Champions Cup comp (which is actually what Jamie Joseph was talking about a couple of years ago) while the individual teams play in something more like a GRR. In time that standard might have to improve to keep up with them, but you'd hope that would be the case anyway. Maybe in 15 years time the circumstances might have changed and things would need to be adjusted, but for the immediate future they need to be realistic about the actual relative standards. And while they stand as they are, there is probably an opportunity for someone.

I certainly think an Asian regional competition has far more intrinsic appeal and potential to generate income than any version of NRC, even if RA had any inclination to do such a thing (and, more importantly, do it properly). Doing it without them, and showing them how it could/should be done, might actually be the only way it'll ever happen.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Japan is seen as the cash cow of World Rugby.

But for all the overtures - the cash has never been seen.

It's a bit like how Melbourne/Victoria is the Sporting Capital of Australia. Sure it's true - if it's a sport they like.

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    Japan is seen as the cash cow of World Rugby. But for all the overtures - the cash has never been seen.It's a bit like how Melbourne/Victoria is the Sporting Capital of Australia. Sure it's true - if it's a sport they like.
    Nah, they'll buy sports they don't like to keep up appearances

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Indeed X. I don't doubt Japan can like rugby, the RWC showed that. But it is no surprise they didn't really like SR much and I think they would enjoy ritual slaughter at the hands of the best SR sides even less. It could well turn them off a role in the RC should such come to pass, but that wouldn't really matter anyway - NZ has now set the tone and apparently everyone keeps the money they make, so no Yen for anyone.

What they need is something they can participate in as equals, and perhaps even take on a leadership role. Something like GRR could offer them that, along with regional matches where they might feel they have an level (or perhaps even upper) hand. They would need to own their share of the comp, not feel like a tolerated blow-in the way they were in SR. But regardless of what such a comp could be in time, and that could just about be anything with a nominal market as large as Asia, no question at all it would inevitably start small.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by todd4 View Post
    Exclusive: Rugby Australia tells NZ it will walk in bombshell move set to tear Super Rugby apart

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...cb72c14760a63b

New Zealand Threatens To Join Breakaway Australian Rugby Comp From The Side

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/spor...from-the-side/

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    #FU ARU
    "May I assure you I have just begun to fight mate" Twiggy Forrest, 05/09/17

vCash
    ‘They are not good partners’: McLennan puts boot into Kiwis ... again..

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/rug...21-p5ave5.html

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Then it all falls apart when Meanwhile, former Wallabies captain Phil Kearns has echoed McLennan’s comments

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    And in comments that will only inflame tensions between the countries, McLennan pointed the finger at New Zealand for South Africa’s decision to leave Super Rugby, and potentially, the Rugby Championship in years to come.
    “Why are they so annoyed at us exercising our right to explore our options when they forcibly kicked out South Africa and Argentina from Super Rugby for good?” McLennan said. “South Africa leaving SANZAAR will have a far more devastating impact on rugby in our part of the world.”

Well, holee shee-it!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    Then it all falls apart when Meanwhile, former Wallabies captain Phil Kearns has echoed McLennan’s comments
    Don't wanna big note myself, but........called it

C'mon the

vCash
    A lot of the talk and words have been around what NZ has not done to help Austrlian rugby, I think we need to ask Mr McLennan and his board what has Australia done to make itself better of the years....

ARC...
    NRC....
    Culling of the Western Force....
    Financial and other support for the Rebels....
    Salary cap that is not a true salary cap due to top ups....

and this is just a few items off the top of my head.......

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast