Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Australia A squad confirmed for Pacific Nations Cup

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Australia A squad confirmed for Pacific Nations Cup

Wed, 15/06/2022, 5:57 am
    Nathan Williamson

The Australia A squad has been confirmed for the Pacific Nations Cup. Photo: Getty Images

Australia A have confirmed their travelling squad ahead of next month's Pacific Nations Cup in Fiji.

The squad includes eight capped Wallabies as well as a host of exciting, up-and-coming players that impressed during Super Rugby Pacific.

Don't miss out! Purchase your tickets for the Wallabies' three-Test series against England
    Rebels veteran Reece Hodge headlines the squad, joined by the likes of Feleti Kaitu'u, Tom Robertson, Fraser McReight, Lalakai Foketi and Filipo Daugunu.

Waratahs assistant coach Jason Gilmore will coach the side, reuniting with McReight, Ben Donaldson, Will Harris and Mark Nawaqantiawase, who all featured in the 2019 U20 Championships.

Backrower Ned Hanigan also joins the squad, having made his return midway through the Super Rugby Pacific season from Japanese club Kurita Water Gush.

"The team has a good combination of experienced and young players and I think the team will get a lot out of the upcoming tournament in Fiji," Gilmore said in a statement.

“Looking at some of the names included in the squad, it is apparent that the depth within Australian Rugby continues to grow and I think our inclusion in the Pacific Nations Cup will be beneficial.”

The team is comprised of nine players each from the Waratahs and Reds, seven from the Western Force, three Brumbies and two Rebels.

The group will assemble on Sunday 26 June in Sydney before travelling to Fiji for their first game on Saturday 2 July against Samoa in Suva.

This will be followed by facing Fiji on 9 July in Lautoka, before completing their tournament against Tonga seven days later.

Australia A Pacific Nations Cup Squad

Tim Anstee (Western Force)

Jock Campbell (Queensland Reds)

Filipo Daugunu (Queensland Reds)

Ben Donaldson (NSW Waratahs)

Tane Edmed (NSW Waratahs)

Matt Faessler (Queensland Reds)

Lalakai Foketi (NSW Waratahs)

Feao Fotuaika (Queensland Reds)

Matt Gibbon (Melbourne Rebels)

Langi Gleeson (NSW Waratahs)

Ned Hanigan (NSW Waratahs)

Will Harris (NSW Waratahs)

Reece Hodge (Melbourne Rebels)

Harry Hoopert (Queensland Reds)

Harry Johnson-Holmes (NSW Waratahs)

Feleti Kaitu'u (Western Force)

Ryan Lonergan (Brumbies)

Ryan McCauley (Western Force)

Fraser McReight (Queensland Reds)

Andy Muirhead (Brumbies)

Mark Nawaqanitawase (NSW Waratahs)

Dylan Pietsch (NSW Waratahs)

Billy Pollard (Brumbies)

Jackson Pugh (Western Force)

Tom Robertson (Western Force)

Ryan Smith (Queensland Reds)

Hamish Stewart (Queensland Reds)

Jake Strachan (Western Force)

Seru Uru (Queensland Reds)

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/austra...ns-cup-2022614

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Great for Pugh to be selected. Would've loved to have seen him at U20 level if not for COVID. Looks like he'd play more of a lock role, which is interesting as I thought he was a bit light for a lock.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Well I don't think we can complain about that list.

I was concerned about names like Hannigan and Faessler, being a real stretch for Wallaby backups, but Jackson Pugh is well at the beginning of his journey and is a long shot to play for the Force barring injuries.

For mine, he's definitely a lock but really needs to make an effort to eat more meat and push more iron, once he bulks up, he'll make a fine lock.

C'mon the

vCash
    Christy Doran tweeting that Michael McDonald was meant to be included but dropped out due to injury.

Good sign that we are building some decent players and hopefully Cron can take them up the next level.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Christy Doran tweeting that Michael McDonald was meant to be included but dropped out due to injury.

Good sign that we are building some decent players and hopefully Cron can take them up the next level.
    The suggestion/rumour on Green and Gold is that McDonald isn't looking like getting a contract next year. Cron looking to bring someone in. If so that's the first strike in my books. Prior needs to be moved on and McDonald the priority along with Fines.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    The suggestion/rumour on Green and Gold is that McDonald isn't looking like getting a contract next year. Cron looking to bring someone in. If so that's the first strike in my books. Prior needs to be moved on and McDonald the priority along with Fines.
    I would agree, however maybe it's a goal kicking thing?

C'mon the

vCash
    Absolutely! I was hoping Prior would do the honorable thing and retire with the other 3. He’s been great for the club, but if we’re going to be serious about rebuilding then it’s time for him to step aside. It will get to the point where he’s holding us back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDom View Post
    Absolutely! I was hoping Prior would do the honorable thing and retire with the other 3. He’s been great for the club, but if we’re going to be serious about rebuilding then it’s time for him to step aside. It will get to the point where he’s holding us back.
    Maybe we'll shift to Finesey starting and Stichy on the bench?

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I would agree, however maybe it's a goal kicking thing?
    Prior, while still a high percentage kicker, seemed to miss a lot more clutch kicks in the back end of this season.

Was like watching Bernard Foley at times. No pressure, solid returns. Need one badly? It falls away.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Very surprised with some of those selections, especially Pugh and McCauley. Didn't really rate McCauley but he did play a couple of good games towards the end. Pugh is a huge bolter, but good on him. Would have thought Fines would be in there.

Also I thought the same about Prior retiring but he is still only 31, just seems older. Nic White as a comparison is 32 and still playing at top of his game. But yes would rather keep McDonald

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I am thinking McCauley was selected because most of the other locks are either selected in the main Wallabies squad or are injured.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    If McDonald isn't re-signed then he prob turned down the Aus A gig and would be looking to head to Ireland to give that a crack.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Senior Player
    vCash
    If McDonald isn't re-signed then he prob turned down the Aus A gig and would be looking to head to Ireland to give that a crack.
    Hopefully it is just rumours and he will be re-signed, he definitely showed enough at the end of the year to continue. Hopefully we are not looking at signing Phipps for a 1 year contract. He has left London Irish with no announcement of where he is going and he might fancy himself for one last shot at world cup?

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    Hopefully it is just rumours and he will be re-signed, he definitely showed enough at the end of the year to continue. Hopefully we are not looking at signing Phipps for a 1 year contract. He has left London Irish with no announcement of where he is going and he might fancy himself for one last shot at world cup?
    urgh... phipps. no thanks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    If we're doing it Phipps would be a waste of space

Apparently TJ Perenara is on the out?

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast