Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Force Home Games 2023

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Question

If the force are likely to lose 1 home game, I'd assume the glory will only lose a few as well, let's call it 2

Wouldn't it be cheaper to hire Optus for 3 dates rather than spend 3.5 million and disrupt some other users facility?

Please talk the hypothetical unless the numbers are vastly underreported.

Unfortunately for Glory they are set to lose many more matches than us as their season starts towards the end of this year while renovations are taking place, so its a lot worse for them.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Something like this was built for the sevens at the Rio Olympics

Attachment 5888

I thought they could put something like that on three sides at Leedy. Or they could use the Velodrome (Litis Stadium).

Curtin University has a nice hockey stadium, but I doubt the dimensions would be sufficient, let alone installing grass.

Shame the Burswood Dome isn't around anymore, that would have been fun

Perth Hockey Stadium is a non-starter i'm afraid.

The dimensions are wrong, there are concrete walls around the turf, the hockey surface is artificial water-based turf & the hockey & rugby seasons overlap.

Also, Hockey Australia use the turf for High Performance training most days, and have first call over availability.

Oh, and the venue's certified capacity couldn't even accommodate the Force's current membership, let alone the casual & visiting fans.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Unfortunately for Glory they are set to lose many more matches than us as their season starts towards the end of this year while renovations are taking place, so its a lot worse for them.
    In which case, is it an exercise in mental masturbation pretending the Force will even get a say? Sounds to me the answer will be whatever the government cooks up with the Glory - can't see the government paying for two different solutions, when getting them to put their hand in their pocket for one will be hard enough. Best bet for mine might be to ensure it is only one game that is affected (hard enough, needing both RA and NZR to help out), then maybe accept that game being on the road.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    You saved me a post.

I was about to suggest the Dome - I take it. The Dome is no longer with us.

Didn't they trial it for Western Reds?
    They never used it sadly. Had they done it, we may have seen a regularly used rectangular stadium a lot earlier, probably with redevelopments like a sliding roof and grass pitch. Real shame this place was never used in all those years we were hanging out for a rectangular ground. Just imagine, it was around since 1987, never used for soccer, league or rugby, then demolished in 2013. Considering only two sides of the dome had two tiers of seating, and one end had one low tier, it still seated 13,600. Fully enclosed on four sides would have been about 19,000 maybe?

Last edited by chibi; 04-06-22 at 06:31.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    going off Bundy fueled memory

The Roof was inflated. The Building pressurised to keep the roof up.

The First Concert - I think it was the Rolling Stones. Was a shocker - the sound echoed badly and a layer was added to the Inside of the roof that improved the sound.

When the Western Reds were talking about their home games inside the dome Julian O'Neil (shasta might be able to correct me on this one) was brought in to see if he could hit the roof.

I remember going there one time for the Perth Boat Show. But I am sure they played the Hopman Cup Tennis tournament for many years.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash

The Roof was inflated. The Building pressurised to keep the roof up.

The First Concert - I think it was the Rolling Stones. Was a shocker -
    Maybe. I only went to one concert there and it was a dead set shocker! Somehow my missus and daughters talked me into accompanying them to the "Best Disco in Town", featuring such luminaries as The Villiage People, KC & Sunshine Band, Gloria Gaynor....middle of winter, those roof blowers brought the temp down to something near zero. I sat there bored and frozen rigid for 3 hours. I'm still traumatised.
    Don't recall the Julian O'Neill thing. Would have been convenient for him if he needed break though. Could have gone next door to take a whizz under a blackjack table.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Player
    vCash
    IIRC the field size was too small when the Glory looked at it.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    If Leederville Oval, I hope it doesnt rain then. Lots of open air seating .... Mind you I might get confused and wear my East Perth Footy Club gear...
    You/we should wear our East Perth gear every home game -
    Perth “nib” “hbf” Oval is our spiritual home
    And the blue/black uniform colours are v similar

Champion
    vCash
    In Nick Taylor's story in The West about Glory looking to go to Joondalup Tony Lewis is quoted as saying we will get six home games and still hoping for seven because one of the concerts has been cancelled. Also aw somewhere in another West story they are trying to organise a couple of games for the squad later in the year maybe Japan or Eastern seaboard.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Japan would be good. But if they want a hint, I would expect Jamie Joseph will follow the same path he trod in 2019 and play a number of 'Wolf-pack' warm-up games ahead of the RWC. If Force management are looking to get an early jump on things, that would be very cool.

vCash
    The First Concert - I think it was the Rolling Stones. Was a shocker - the sound echoed badly and a layer was added to the Inside of the roof that improved the sound.
    It was Mick Jagger; not the Rolling Stones. Being old, I took some industrial ear plugs as I was certain the sound would be turned up to 11. I had an awesome time and just heard the sound from the speakers/amps. Did not hear the bounced sound except when I took the earplugs out for a while - it was dreadful!

I thought the issue was with all the squared/right angled surfaced and have a dim memory of them mucking around with vertical (wall) angles so the sound didn't just bounce straight back.

That was the only concert I went to at the dome, so I couldn't tell you if it worked, other than to say there were plenty more concerts after Jagger, so they must've fixed it. (I can say, though, that because of the fabric roof, you could hear most concerts from outside. The Pearl Jam one sounded all right )

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    used to love the concerts at Subi oval,if the sea breeze kicked in i could sit in our wembley back yard with a lazy beer and enjoy it for free!

vCash
    Ironically Burswood is home to the best and worst of all the venues I've experienced, in terms of acoustics. Burswood Theatre is the best. Saw Jethro Tull & Eric Burdon with the "New Animals" there both were brilliant.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Looking at the full Perth Glory in todays paper and they're playing their first first 4 home games at HBF Arena up at Joondalup and are back at Perth Oval from January 6 - I assume the Force will be fine for home fixtures in 2023?

Last edited by jargan83; 29-07-22 at 10:13.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2