Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force v Pasifika - Tuesday 24 May 2022

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Force v Pasifika - Tuesday 24 May 2022

Five homegrown players named to take on Pasifika
    by Western Force Media
    Mon, 23/05/2022, 12:57 pm

The Western Force will have five Western Australian players take on Moana Pasifika in the originally Round 10 now rescheduled to a Round 15 match at Mt Smart Stadium in Auckland.

Head coach Tim Sampson has named homegrown talents Reesjan Pasitoa (flyhalf) and Jackson Pugh (number 8) in the starting XV, while Kyle Godwin, Brad Lacey and Michael McDonald are named on the bench.

Four changes have been made to the starting line-up for the Force’s historic first-ever Super Rugby Pacific match-up with Pasifika.

Andrew Ready starts at hooker, with club captain Feleti Kaitu’u poised to make an impact off the bench.

Veteran Jeremy Thrush earns a start after scoring a powerful try against the Chiefs at the weekend.

Winger Manasa Mataele returns to the wing after missing the last two rounds through injury, with Byron Ralston moving to outside centre.

Richard Kahui starts at inside centre, as Pasitoa moves to flyhalf, and Jake McIntyre switches to fullback.

Former Captain Ian Prior will lead the team out, as captain Kaitu’u and vice-captain Kyle Godwin start in the reserves.

Hooker Jack Winchester will step in as number 20, head coach Tim Sampson is confident in the 21-year-old’s ability to play outside his normal position.

“Jack is really looking forward to getting some game time. I’m sure he’ll do a good job for us coming off the bench,” Sampson said.

“With injuries to our genuine number 7’s that we can’t select at the moment, Jack Winchester is off the bench and will cover our 7. He is also a very good defender and a good on-baller.”

https://westernforce.rugby/news/five...sifika-2022523

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Senior Player
    vCash
    I think Sampson has just lost the plot now.

A winger at centre, a lock at number 8, a hooker at flanker, a flyhalf at full back. Prior, Kahui and Thrush all starting, for what benefit. Ralston is not even going to be here next year, why not give Makara a shot

vCash
    Name:  FTavMj9WAAAHLNu.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  65.1 KB

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    WTF, after shaking the head a few times and pinching myself to see if I am awake, I have to assume the selections were based on a limited squad taken to NZ and injuries and rest protcols required for others, as this cannot be rotation for a losing team.

While only a mathematical chance although unlikely and certainly not deserved a win would keep us in the finals race tell the weekend at least.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Veteran
    vCash
    eh, you're kinda stuck with what you have. 3 games in a week is going to screw us royally. especially how we are going at the moment...

Player
    vCash
    Is Stander injured?

vCash
    It seems clear that even though we knew we were playing 2 games over there over 4 days, we didn't fork out any extra money to fly over a reasonable sized squad, and are still too cheap to fly anyone over at last minute. Absolutely ridiculous given this is the game that we should be targeting for a win. Surely it has to be a bean counter making this call, and not Sampson?!

Why you would rest one of our best players in Rodda for the game is also crazy.
    If you want to give some players a rest, surely it would make more sense to start Abra, McDonald and Lacey, who have all performed very well off the bench and actually deserve a starting spot.

It seems the Force are trying their best to lose fans in the second half of the year. Really has been one of the most disappointing and disillusioning years.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by chiraag; 23-05-22 at 14:29.

vCash
    MP team named:

PASIFIKA (1-15): Ezekiel Lindenmuth, Luteru Tolai, Chris Apoua, Veikoso Poloniati, Mahonri Ngakuru, Sione Tu'ipulotu, Alamanda Motuga, Jack Lam (c), Ereatara Enari, Lincoln McClutchie, Neria Foma'i, Henry Taefu, Levi Aumua, Tomasi Alosio, Lolagi Visinia

RESERVES: Samiuela Moli, Taukiha’amea Koloamatangi, Joe 'Apiokotoa, Alex McRobbie, Penitoa Finau, Manu Paea, Fine Inisi, Anzelo Tu'itavuki

Glad Taefu has been given the start against his old side. He's unfortunately been pretty quiet in the games I've seen him play this year, but imagine he should be pretty fired up for a big performance tomorrow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Transiting View Post
    Is Stander injured?
    From the SKG Fitness update

Currently unavailable:

Kane Koteka – Foot Lisfranc injury and surgery. Injured vs Blues in Round 11

Issak Fines-Leleiwasa - Foot Lisfranc injury. Injured vs Crusaders in Round 12

Brynard Stander – Orbit (eyesocket) fracture vs Highlanders in Round 13

Ollie Callan – Kidney bruise vs Highlanders in Round 13

Bayley Kuenzle – HIA protocol following injury sustained vs Highlanders in Round 13

vCash
    Very scrappy game so far - I think. Terrible 4G connection.
    If they keep better discipline, they should get the chokkies.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    the decision of the non try to thrush by the TMO was a Barry!

vCash
    I'll take your word. Couldn't even see clearly on replay.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I'll take your word. Couldn't even see clearly on replay.
    went forward off a foot-anyway,they scored a try a moment later

Last edited by brokendown gunfighter; 24-05-22 at 17:35.

vCash
    thought that Prior was the glue that held the team together today

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Force eye finals after Moana Pasifika win
    Melissa Woods
    AAP
    May 24, 2022 5:20PM

Western Force have kept their Super Rugby Pacific finals hopes alive after snapping their losing streak with a key 48-28 win over Moana Pasifika.

Playing their postponed round-10 match on Tuesday night in Auckland, the Force ran in seven tries to also collect a vital bonus point.

That came in the 78th minute when Kyle Godwin ran on to a break by star winger Manasa Mataele to touch down to the delight of his teammates.

The result meant the men from Perth have moved into ninth position on the ladder, three points behind the Highlanders with the top eight playing finals.

With five points on offer - four for a win and a bonus point for scoring three or more tries than the opposition - they now need to beat the fifth-placed Hurricanes on Saturday night at home in Perth and rely on 10th-placed Rebels downing the Highlanders at AAMI Park on Sunday.

Skipper Ian Prior said it was a huge ask to back up after a heavy loss to the Chiefs - their seventh in succession - and travel to New Zealand.

"It's been a tough couple of weeks with a couple of big scorecards, but I'm immensely proud of the group," the veteran halfback told Stan Sport.

"We've talked about responding from a short turnaround as well.

"It's going to be really special to get home back in front of our home crowd and give ourselves the best chance possible to try and stick in the finals there."

The Force set up the win on the back of a dominant set piece and some steely defence to shut down their athletic opponents, while showing some endeavour in attack.

Moana Pasifika led 14-5 early thanks to two tries by winger Tima Fainga'anuku.

But they lost centre Levi Aumua to a yellow card for an ugly lifting tackle on Richard Kahui.

Force fullback Jake McIntyre scored the first of his two tries three minutes later to swing momentum his team's way.

Centre Byron Ralston then crossed right on halftime, with Ian Prior adding the extras to secure a 19-14 buffer.

The Force extended that lead to 20 points through Toni Pulu, McIntyre's second and Jackson Pugh and it looked like they had the bonus point in their keeping.

But Moana Pasifika kept them on their toes with a 69th-minute try to Tau Koloamatangi.

That set up a thrilling finish with the Force needing to cross again to get the extra point, with Godwin coming up trumps.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...-win-c-6922447

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast