Thread: Australian rugby looks to Dublin as World Cup decision day arrives

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Australian rugby looks to Dublin as World Cup decision day arrives

Thu, 12/05/2022, 5:38 am
    Reuters

Two years after financial turmoil forced consideration of a return to amateurism, Australian rugby will be looking to the World Rugby Council to deliver a watershed moment for the game Down Under on Thursday.

At a meeting in Dublin, the council will decide the host countries of five World Cups with Australia identified as the "preferred candidate" for the 2027 men's edition as well as the women's showpiece two years later.

The financial windfall from the former would go a long way to fixing the financial problems at Rugby Australia (RA), which lost $A27.1 million in 2020 at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, and another $A4.5 million last year.

With the added bonus of a lucrative visit from the British and Irish Lions in 2025, RA will be presented with a golden opportunity for the future.

One of those is getting the best and most talented young players to choose the 15-man game over the far more popular codes locally, rugby league and Australian Rules football.

Australia captain Michael Hooper, while conceding the 2027 World Cup would be beyond him personally, suggested the promise of big global events on home soil, including the 2032 Olympic Sevens in Brisbane, would be quite a lure.

"What an opportunity for rugby in Australia if that was to come through," he told reporters in Sydney on Wednesday in anticipation of Thursday's decisions.

"What a time to be a part of rugby for some of our younger guys, or some kids even still at school, to be part of that great era for Australian rugby."

Along with the financial issues, Australian rugby has also struggled with a lack of sustained success on the field to drive interest in the game since the Wallabies reached the 2015 World Cup final.

Although bigger tests will come when England tour for three Tests in July, and the Wallabies face New Zealand, South Africa and Argentina in the Rugby Championship, there have been some signs of green shoots in Super Rugby.

Where Australian teams managed only two wins in 25 contests against New Zealand's sides last year, they have already won six in three rounds of trans-Tasman matches this season.

"It's a bit of a different narrative for Australian rugby," added Hooper, who helped the NSW Waratahs to a stunning upset of the Crusaders two weeks ago.

"There's certainly a hunger about what the teams are wanting to do, and the desperation in how they're playing, I think. That's been pretty noticeable."

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/austra...rrives-2022511

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    https://www.rugby.com.au/news/rugby-...-rugby-2022512

"After a near year-long process of sitting in the box seat for the event, Australia has finally been confirmed as the host of the 2027 and 2029 Rugby World Cup."

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    And then USA for 2031 & 2033. I wonder if this is a trend which will continue of men's and women's RWCs going to the same country. Because World Rugby didn't announce France as the hosts of 2025, that's going to England.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    That should bank RA enough money to keep eastern states rugby alive until at least 2030

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I'm happy for this event coming to OZ, 5 years from now. But after ZA not bidding, Argentina withdrawing & Russia shooting itself down - again, I don't really get all the fanfare. Even Kearns & the ARU couldn't f@ck this one up. Bradbury Award for 2022.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Funny how things work out. So many years we've seen bidding being so competitive, now we end up with a Rugby World Cup and Olympic Games after with no-one else in the race.

(Would have been funny someone else from Australia bid for the Olympics though, at least there would have been a competition)

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?