Thread: Richard Kahui free to play against Chiefs in Hamilton after red card dismissed

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Richard Kahui free to play against Chiefs in Hamilton after red card dismissed

From Rugby Pass - HERE

10:24pm, 17 May 2022

Former All Blacks and Chiefs midfielder Richard Kahui could be set to line up against his former side at Waikato Stadium on Saturday.

Kahui was sent off in the late stages of the Western Force’s defeat at the hands of the Highlanders over the weekend after making an alleged dangerous tackle on Mitch Hunt.

Following a chip kick from the Force, Kahui collided with Hunt in a front-on tackle which saw the heads of the two players collide. Hunt left the field for an HIA while referee X showed Kahui a red card and the former All Blacks spent the last five minutes of the match sidelined as the Force succumbed to a 61-10 loss.

Having fronted the Sanzaar judicial committee via video conference on Tuesday evening, Kahui has faced no further sanction for the tackle. In a statement, the committee revealed that a yellow card was justified for the collision but that the red card threshold had not been reached.

The full statement reads:

“Having conducted a detailed review of all the available evidence, including all camera angles and additional evidence, including from the Player, a medical report on the opposition player involved, and having considered the submissions from his legal representative, Michael Tudori. The Judicial Committee found that the Player had not committed an act of foul play worthy of the red card threshold.”

“The Judicial Committee reviewed the case in accordance with Reg 17.16.1 of World Rugby’s regulations and the World Rugby Head Contact Process.”

“The evidence and submissions on behalf of the Player, together with surrounding circumstances, satisfied the Committee that there was mitigation to lower the incident from Red Card to a Yellow Card. Whilst the incident is dangerous, the contact with the head was not intentional or highly reckless. Kahui was shown to be lowering himself for the tackle on the right-hand side of the opposing Player when a significant movement from the ball carrier meant that the late change in direction contributed to head contact.”

“For those reasons, the Committee was satisfied that there was reasonable mitigation and at least warranted a yellow card in the circumstances.”

With the judicial process out of the way, Kahui could now suit up against the team he made 60 appearances for from 2007 to 2013.

Richard Kahui has no regrets but 'it would be nice to play even just one more Test'
    Calling time on an international career when you’ve still got plenty of rugby left in you is a tough decision to make, but it's a decision that former All Blacks Richard Kahui had to make relatively early in his career.

Kahui, who starred for the All Blacks during the 2011 World Cup, played against the Chiefs in Perth last year during Super Rugby Trans-Tasman but hasn’t taken the field at Waikato Stadium – the hallowed site where the Chiefs won back to back titles in 2012 and 2013 – since April of 2013.

That could all change this weekend, however, if Kahui is named in the match-day 23 for a game the Force must win if they are to have any hope of playing in the quarter-finals in three weeks’ time.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Veteran
    vCash
    interesting. i thought red card was fine.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    interesting. i thought red card was fine.
    As did I until the standard was set by the Tom Banks decision.

I guess it made for an easier argument in this case, all the lawyer would have needed to do is show video of both incidents and read the judgement for the Banks decision.

I still think it's wrong

In both cases

C'mon the

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    As did I until the standard was set by the Tom Banks decision.

I guess it made for an easier argument in this case, all the lawyer would have needed to do is show video of both incidents and read the judgement for the Banks decision.

I still think it's wrong

In both cases
    what was the banks decision? do you have a link to the vid/news?

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbG9TsD6PSE

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash

Pretty sure this was the banks decision

https://amp.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/may/03/reserve-bank-of-australia-lifts-official-interest-rates-to-035-in-first-rise-since-2010

I'll be here all night....

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    I didnt realise he got off. still pissy about that tackle, and the 'controversy'. he went high as it was a last ditch effort to save a try due to failure in their defense up field. penalty try, red card, 3 weeks. we lost pulu for a couple because of that 'tackle'. he should get rubbed out.

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Pretty sure this was the banks decision

https://amp.theguardian.com/australi...ise-since-2010

I'll be here all night....
    gah!