Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Optus bid for RWC final

Champion
    vCash

Optus bid for RWC final

I managed to read Nick Taylor's story in The West online about Optus (WA Govt) having a crack at the 2027 RWC final - and getting the Super weekend here.
    But it looks like there's another story in The Australian and other papers along similar lines.
    I can't read it - paywall
    Can anybody get it?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    I can't read it - paywall
    Can anybody get it?
    No; but the back story is that the NRL are trying to strong-arm Perrottet to direct funding to suburban stadium redevelopment as opposed to tarting up Homebush, including a roof. RA & Football Australia are predictably kicking up about that. Should the NRL get it's way, it's claimed Sydney would likely miss out on RWC finals to Melbourne or Perth. So lets hope V'Landys gets his way. He usually does.

"Accor Stadium roof still an option despite ‘circus and theatre’ from V’landys" - SMH

NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet said “circus and theatre” from ARL chairman Peter V’landys around stadium funding and the NRL grand final won’t rush him to make a call on suburban stadiums, and putting a roof on Accor Stadium in Homebush is still on the table.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/accor-s...03-p5ai4r.html

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    No; but the back story is that the NRL are trying to strong-arm Perrottet to direct funding to suburban stadium redevelopment as opposed to tarting up Homebush, including a roof. RA & Football Australia are predictably kicking up about that. Should the NRL get it's way, it's claimed Sydney would likely miss out on RWC finals to Melbourne or Perth. So lets hope V'Landys gets his way. He usually does.

"Accor Stadium roof still an option despite ‘circus and theatre’ from V’landys" - SMH

NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet said “circus and theatre” from ARL chairman Peter V’landys around stadium funding and the NRL grand final won’t rush him to make a call on suburban stadiums, and putting a roof on Accor Stadium in Homebush is still on the table.

No. I read that one but this is a different story from NewsLtd/The Aus about a change of RWC rules

vCash

Apparently Vlandys has won and the NSW Government will make an announcement next week after a cabinet meeting - apparently it was reported on Channel 7 news in Sydney last night.

vCash
    Let's hope McGowan & Co are on the front foot, then. A "Super Round" would do well here. Next weeks NRL version at Suncorp has sold out of 3 day passes & all 53,000 Saturday tickets as of yesterday. Melbourne was a predictable flop, but as long as they are realistic and stick with HBF they'd go close to sell-outs on all 3 days.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Let's hope McGowan & Co are on the front foot, then. A "Super Round" would do well here. Next weeks NRL version at Suncorp has sold out of 3 day passes & all 53,000 Saturday tickets as of yesterday. Melbourne was a predictable flop, but as long as they are realistic and stick with HBF they'd go close to sell-outs on all 3 days.
    NRL's scrums may mean that the Suncorp turf lasts an NRL Super Round; but lets face it, it often cuts up badly in a single Reds game - they could never do a union Super Round there!

I'm not sure how well the HBF turf would manage 6 games in 3 days - and the Glory would probably want any such round to be about now in the year as I think their season is over this weekend.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    NRL's scrums

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    NRL's scrums may mean that the Suncorp turf lasts an NRL Super Round; but lets face it, it often cuts up badly in a single Reds game - they could never do a union Super Round there!

I'm not sure how well the HBF turf would manage 6 games in 3 days - and the Glory would probably want any such round to be about now in the year as I think their season is over this weekend.
    It will be at Optus. According to The West HBF will be undergoing an update for the womens soccer World Cup

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    The West HBF will be undergoing an update for the womens soccer World Cup
    So that's happening during 2023 Super Rugby season?

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    couldnt find the emoji for a circle jerk?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    So that's happening during 2023 Super Rugby season?
    The Force will be playing at Tompkins Park - renovations have been underway for a while now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    The Force will be playing at Tompkins Park - renovations have been underway for a while now.
    Can't wait.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    couldnt find the emoji for a circle jerk?
    Closest I could find for group hug. What's your excuse X

vCash
    Meh, a world cup final should be at a ground holding at least 70-75,000; and if Sydney doesn't organise itself, then the MCG should get it. It may not be the ideal shape for rugby- and they may have to do something about the members not showing up- but it's a prestigious old test cricket ground and Olympic Games stadium with a glorious history and Australia's highest capacity; personally, I'd love to see it there.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Hmmmm...Stade de France 80k, Twickenham 80k, Millenium 73k, Capetown 55k. Optus seems pretty much "in the ballpark" with 65k. F@ck Melbourne.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast