Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force's Koteka ruled out for the season

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Force's Koteka ruled out for the season

Justin Chadwick
    AAP
    May 4, 2022 4:01PM

Western Force flanker Kane Koteka will miss the rest of the Super Rugby Pacific season with a foot injury.

Koteka suffered the injury in last week's 22-18 loss to the Blues in Perth.

The 28-year-old won the team's best and fairest award last year, and his absence is a big blow to the Force's hopes of landing a top-eight berth..

The Force have made two changes to the starting line-up for Saturday night's clash with the Crusaders in Perth.

Backrower Tim Anstee has been included to start in the No.8 jersey, with Ollie Callan moving to the right flank.

Winger Byron Ralston replaces Toni Pulu (hamstring).

Force coach Tim Sampson has praised his team's resilience in the face of disappointment following a series of heartbreaking losses this season.

The Force's four-point defeat to the ladder-leading Blues was their fifth by six points or less this year.

Sampson's men suffered heartbreaking one-point losses to both the Rebels and Brumbies, and they went down to the Waratahs by five points.

In round one, the Force conceded a late try to lose to the Brumbies by six points.

The run of close losses has seen the Force slip to ninth spot with a 2-7 record, but they are still in the hunt for a top-eight berth.

"They're in a good space," Sampson said of his players.

"I take my hat off to them. We've had so many tight losses. It's five games now that have been by (six) points or less.

"It's a pretty tough crew, and they're desperate to get a win."

The Force finally reversed their notorious slow starts last week, and also managed to hold the Blues scoreless in the second half to almost steal the win.

"An interesting stat that came out was it was the first time the Blues had been held scoreless in the second half for four years," Sampson said.

"We still lost, but we take a lot of confidence out of that against the top team."

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...ason-c-6679814

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Ah crap

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Name:  Kane 1.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  93.9 KB

Name:  Kane 2.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  172.1 KB

Name:  Kane 3.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  105.1 KB

At 30 for Season 2025, sadly I think this means the end for Kane.
    At least we now have some clarity around the speculation, I had heard many different stories, but ironically not this one...

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Wow, that's brutal

Judging by the story I don't think there's anything to change in the response and Kane probably needs to serve a suspension, but it truly sucks!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The 18 months is still pretty harsh if they agree with the version he gives.
    12 months would have been appropriate I would have thought, with say 24 months suspended if need be.
    All because some dick can't wash up... no wonder it's "My housemate at the time"...
    Just cost a bloke his career and a potential Wallaby Squad trial if a good 2023.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran
    vCash
    there must have been quite a bit of "dregs" for it to show in the test.

but sad story for the bastard. I agree that if it was likely a case of cross-contamination, then surely the time served plus a suspended sentence is the right thing to do?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    there must have been quite a bit of "dregs" for it to show in the test.

but sad story for the bastard. I agree that if it was likely a case of cross-contamination, then surely the time served plus a suspended sentence is the right thing to do?
    Was thinking that, and on the same day...
    I might stop thinking about it as it starts to sound more dodgy by the thought...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    day...
    I might stop thinking about it
    Yair; good idea. You might end up concussed.

vCash
    Full on, explains the suddenness and mystery around it all. Noticed him at the 7s. I'd love ro see him come back at 30 and tear it up but at that age and 2 years out is a huge task. Wish him the best

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    can he appeal the length of suspension?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    can he appeal the length of suspension?
    My take on it is that he has accepted his lot?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Wow, didn't see that coming! Great to finally game some clarity on what happened to one of our best players and possibly explains why we weren't getting any injury updates for any players last season.

18 months seems very harsh if it was determined to be unintentional though

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Maybe it's a blessing in disguise. He has had a concussion history. Maybe some time out will prolong his career and be better for post career life.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Western Force flanker Kane Koteka handed doping ban

Wed, Mar 13, 2024, 5:48 AM
    Nathan Williamson

Western Force flanker Kane Koteka has been handed an 18-month ban after testing positive for a prohibited substance.

The 2021 Nathan Sharpe Medalist returned a positive test for the drug Ostarine from an out-of-competition doping control test on 16 December 2022.

The 30-year-old in a statement confirmed the suspension, back-tracked from February 2023, revealing it had occurred after he had not ingested the substance intentionally.

"13 months ago, I received a phone call that turned my whole world upside down and changed the course of my life," he said via Instagram.

"On the 3rd of February 2023, I was informed by Sports Integrity Australia that I had tested positive for a banned substance called Ostarine and had been provisionally suspended from playing rugby. My initial reaction was that there must be some mistake, as I would never consider cheating or taking any prohibited substance and have always been cautious about what goes into my body.

"My housemate at the time, who is not a professional athlete, then told me that he had been taking Ostarine without my knowledge and had used a glass in our apartment to do so. I realised cross-contamination must have occurred.

"After a long investigation and all the evidence was taken into account, Sports Integrity Australia has now found that the presence of the prohibited substance was likely due to cross-contamination and that I did not use the substance intentionally or deliberately breach the rules."

Koteka debuted for the club in 2015, playing 41 Super Rugby games for the club. He will be available to return in August 2024.

"Sport Integrity Australia (SIA) acknowledges that Rugby Australia (RA) has imposed a one year and six months ban on athlete Kane Koteka for the Presence and Use of a Prohibited Substance," Sport Integrity Australia said in a statement.

"Mr Koteka, a Rugby Union player contracted to Western Force in the Super Rugby Pacific Competition at the time, returned an Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) from an Out-of-Competition doping control test on 16 December 2022.

"The substance Ostarine (Enobosarm) is listed under Class S1.2 (Other Anabolic Agents) under the World Anti-Doping Code – International Standard – Prohibited List – 2022 (Prohibited List 2022). The substance Ostarine (Enobosarm) is a Non-Specified Substance and is prohibited at all times.

"SIA determined that on and/or before 16 December 2022 Mr Koteka Used a Prohibited Substance, namely Ostarine (Enobosarm).

"However, SIA also determined, that Mr Koteka had established, to a ‘balance of probability’ standard, that the presence of the Prohibited Substance in Mr Koteka’s system and the Use of Ostarine (Enobosarm) was likely due to cross-contamination which occurred in a private setting, and that Mr Koteka, did not use the Prohibited Substance intentionally, did not engage in conduct that he knew constituted an Anti-Doping Rule Violation (ADRV) and did not manifestly disregard a significant risk that he may be engaging in conduct that might result in an ADRV.

"As a result, Mr Koteka’s base period of Ineligibility was two years on account of the lack of intentionality and this was further reduced by six months on account of Mr Koteka having established ‘No Significant Fault or Negligence’ applied."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Rookie
    vCash
    Just checked and koteka is still under contract for all of next season as well so hopefully he can come back and make an impact and the year off has helped with all injuries etc.

He can start training in June and play in August so hopefully some end of season games are lined up or send him to NPC for off season

https://westernforce.rugby/news/back-row-stars-sign-long-term-deals-202263

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast