Thread: Rugby News: Barrett's four-week ban, Lonergan brothers sign long-term deals, Edmed re

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Rugby News: Barrett's four-week ban, Lonergan brothers sign long-term deals, Edmed re

Tony Harper 3 hrs ago

Crusaders captain and All Blacks lock Scott Barrett has been banned for four weeks, with two other Kiwis also given stints on the sidelines as the Super Rugby crackdown on head contact continues.

Hurricanes hooker Asafo Aumua and Highlanders lock Josh Dickson were both banned for three weeks by the SANZAAR judiciary.

Barrett pleaded guilty to a high tackle in his team’s 27-23 loss to the Blues in Christchurch on Friday night. he was red carded just after halftime for his hit on Blues prop Alex Hodgman after intervention from the TMO.

The ban was reduced from six weeks to four due to the mitigating factors including his acceptance of foul polay and remorse.

He wasn’t wasn’t entitled to the full 50% reduction because of a prior similar offence. Three years ago Barrett was sent off for driving his shoulder into the head of Wallabies captain Michael Hooper in perth, as the Wallabies went on to win 47-26.

Dickson and Aumua were both punished for incidents in the Highlanders vs. Hurricanes match in Dunedin on Saturday night.

Dickson was sent off in the 19th minute after connecting with Hurricanes prop Tevita Mafileo’s head with his left shoulder and his clean record, remorse and acceptance of foul play saw his suspension reduced from six weeks to three.

Aumua pleaded guilty to reckless play when his shoulder connected with Gareth Evans’ head in a maul late in the match. He also had his punishment halved from six weeks to three due to his clean record and acceptance of guilt.

Edmed cools contract talk
    Waratahs’ Tane Edmed has refused to commit his future to the club after an impressive performance at No.10 on the weekend.

Edmed, 21, is in a three-way battle for the jersey with Ben Donaldson and Will Harrison at the Tahs and is out of contract at the end of the season.

He said he was trying not to think about where he would play next season – with the Rebels and Force rumoured as suitors – and a decision would be based on his development.

“If I feel as if I can go to a team where I’m going to develop the most regardless of minutes, I’m going to do that,” Edmed said.

“But I haven’t really given it much thought and be honest with you, I’m just enjoying playing footy here and trying to win every week because that’s not really a decision I have to make right now.”

Lonergan brothers re-sign with Brumbies
    Lachlan and Ryan Lonergan have re-signed with the Brumbies and Rugby Australia through to the end of 2025.

In a statement, RA said the pair were “the first players of national interest re-signed through to 2025, when Australia will welcome the British and Irish Lions for the first time since 2013.”

The pair are both former Junior Wallabies, with Ryan having captained the side in 2018. Lachlan started in the 2019 side that fell short in the U20 World Championship Final against France in Argentina.

The pair grew up near Canberra in Williamsdale and progressed through the Brumbies system.

“Achieving some of my goals, like playing for the Wallabies in the first few years of my career has been great but I know I’ve got more work to do to continue to earn opportunities and I think the Brumbies and Australian rugby is the best place for me to do that,” said Lachlan.

“Obviously playing with Ryan and a bunch of boys I’ve come through the ranks with at Brumbies is awesome.”

Ryan added: “Playing for the team I supported growing up and coming into work every day with Noss (Lachlan) and a great bunch of boys is a dream come true and something I’m very grateful for.

“I’m excited about the direction of the club and it’s great so now that I can just focus on my rugby and hopefully push for more opportunities at the Brumbies and with the Wallabies.”

Breakthrough triumph for Argentina
    Argentina, semi-final winners over Australia, have claimed their first title in the World Rugby Seven Series in 14 years, beating Olympic champions Fiji 29-10 in the final of the Vancouver Sevens.

The last time Argentina won a World Series title was in 2008 in San Diego when current coach Santi Gomez Cora was a player.

Australia beat Samoa 21-19 in the bronze medal playoff after downing New Zealand in the quarter-finals.

“You have to dream because the dreams come true,” Gomez Cora said. “I can’t believe it. I searched for this for nine years as a coach and I can’t believe it.

“The Olympics first and now this. I’m so happy and so proud of these guys.”

Argentina took the bronze medal behind Fiji and New Zealand at the Tokyo Olympics as a sign of it improved standing in world Sevens.

Their win was a culmination of a long effort to match the standards of the world’s best teams.

“I did it as a player and my dream after being a player was to do it was a coach,” Gomez Cora said.

Fiji scored the first try of the final through Kaminieli Rasaku but Argentina took a commanding lead with two tries to player of the match Marcus Moneta and another to Santiago Vera Feld.

Jerry Tuwai struck back for Fiji but Argentina sealed the match with two tries to Felipe Del Mestre.

South Africa retain the overall series lead despite its shock quarter-final loss to Samoa.

After four wins from six tournaments they hold a six point lead over Argentina with Australia five points behind in third place.

The next leg of the World Series is in Toulouse, France, from May 20 to 22.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/othe...79a5a6fd733002

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Interesting to read Edmed probably looking elsewhere. Lots of upside with this bloke. Made up his mind to go to Rugby after the Tiges wouldn't let him play in the halves - saw him only as a dummy half. Balmain; the cluster f@ck that keeps on giving - all their good'uns away.

Go west young man.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!