Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What we need is Entertaining Rugby

vCash
    I think the quality of refs can make the biggest impact.

You could see the rebels scrum last week breathe a sigh of relief and then play Murphy like a cheap fiddle once they got his mind made up.

He's overly technical and pedantic whilst being simultaneously horribly erratic and inaccurate. It's actually quite a spectacle to watch if you're not invested in the team playing.

The others aren't a whole lot better, neither over the Dutch, yes they're more consistent, but they tend to consistently pay fuck all attention to protocols.

If the refs were better we'd se fewer teams booting the ball downfield hoping for a mistake from the receiver or the ref and teams would likely start trying to break defense's down.

Unless they're the Brumbies, then they'd start at maul and move away from it only when the score is suitably comfortable

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Harlequins vs Montpellier is more proof you don't need gimmicky rules in Rugby

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I must admit, I'm a fan of anything that can draw in defenders and create more flowing three-quarter movements in the game and less one-out repetitive hit-ups. Whether it's rule tweaks, refereeing directives, better coaching and positioning, more traditional forward play or whatever; I'm open to trying anything that will help us see a bit more flow and backlines having space to create, manipulate and finish...if that's actually possible with the fitness and explosive power of defensive players in the modern professional game.

Last edited by chibi; 24-08-22 at 20:25.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    I must admit, I'm a fan of anything that can draw in defenders and create more flowing three-quarter movements in the game and less one-out repetitive hit-ups. Whether it's rule tweaks, refereeing directives, better coaching and positioning, more traditional forward play or whatever; I'm open to trying anything that will help us see a bit more flow and backlines having space to create, manipulate and finish...if that's actually possible with the fitness and explosive power of defending players in the modern professional game.
    Good point Chibi. The 50-22 and vice versa, among others, are intended to do exactly that. As someone who is into both codes, it's frustrating to watch the likes of Nathan Cleary, Adam Reynolds, Munster, Townsend etc exploit those expertly on a weekly basis. Sam Walker is brilliant at executing and he's a 19yo rookie in his second season FFS. The Kiwis ditto. No good making changes if game plans are so dumb nobody uses them.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Player
    vCash
    The Sevens World Series have put a lot of focus on making the sport move quickly and be entertaining, especially around time management and TMO involvement. Lots of differences between the two versions but still things can be shared.

1. I particularly like the 30 sec shot clock that is displayed at the ground and very few reasons why the clock is stopped and it includes kick off and conversions. 60 secs would be a good start for 15's.
    2. When the TMO is called upon they review and provide an answer to the ref instead of endless replays or waiting for the TV director to get the video on the big screen and then find footage for every angle. NRL bunker style would be a good start.
    3. Only a significant injury causes a stoppage in play. I saw teams last weekend play one man day as a trainer treated cramp etc on the field.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DazloT View Post
    When the TMO is called upon they review and provide an answer to the ref instead of endless replays or waiting for the TV director to get the video on the big screen and then find footage for every angle. NRL bunker style would be a good start.
    Can't remember which match but last week, to limit the TMO’s input, Ben O'Keefe told him "Put the replay on the screen & I'll give you my decision". Bit more of that wouldn't be a bad idea.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    OK = Its not Rugby but..............

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    More law variations for SR, including, a scrum clock, reducing the annoying TMO input, no YC's for deliberate knock down ? A player draft in the pipeline??

On the scrum clock; there has been a bit of discussion over on GAGR about this, re: dominant scrummaging outfits deliberately slowing things down to earn penalties & (too often) YC's. Lots of good points, but the elephant in the room in all such chatter, to me anyway, is the long-time failure of officials to demand the ball be fed quickly & straight into the centre of the tunnel. IMO this would resolve a lot of issues. Scrums are meant to be one of the defining features of the code: the ball is supposedly contestable in almost all phases of play. Not currently the case.

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/rug...22-p5bbu4.html

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    A player draft in the pipeline??
    I wouldn't hold my breath on that one - NSW and Qld are unlikely to give up on their promising youngsters (and as they have more players, they are likely to have a higher number of promising youngsters) without a major fight.

Melbourne and us would have to give up something massive to achieve this; possibly something like the draft would only be from players from Sydney and Brisbane club rugby; with Rugby Australia paying for those clubs to be semi-pro (NPC-style), and meaning that any promising players have to move there to be considered for selection, which would ruin the Melbourne and Perth club comps.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    A good point raised in the above was the potential for unintended consequences that may arise through law variations. I think a lot of the faffing about at scrum time can be explained by the decision a few years back allowing the 9 to align his shoulder with the centre line of the tunnel. As if any scrummie worth his salt needs a hand to take piss. Dead set!!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    A good point raised in the above was the potential for unintended consequences that may arise through law variations. I think a lot of the faffing about at scrum time can be explained by the decision a few years back allowing the 9 to align his shoulder with the centre line of the tunnel. As if any scrummie worth his salt needs a hand to take piss. Dead set!!
    I was pure as driven snow when it came to putting the ball into the scrum
    deadset

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2