Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What we need is Entertaining Rugby

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

What we need is Entertaining Rugby

I can't remember where I saw it, or maybe I read it. But the next Broadcast deal for SuperRugby Pacifica is going to likely be a pay cut.

I'd like to think that we would agree that Australian Rugby really can't afford a reduction to the money that the Super Teams have to pay the players.

For a long time, the early iterations of the Super Rugby Competition were considered the greatest provincial rugby competition in the world.

If our competition improves. Gets back to being the best in the world. Then surely that is worth more when it comes to Broadcast rights.

We need to face some home truths. Rugby Union is no longer a sport. Its in the Entertainment Industry. We arent competing against AFL, NRL, A-League, NFL, NBA, Formula 1, NASCAR etc etc etc. We are also competing against Married at First Sight, The Bachelor and Re-Runs of Faulty Towers and re-runs of The Big Bang Theory.

We need to make changes. To make our sport - or maybe we need to refer to it as our product. To make it enjoyable. Sustainable in the 21 Century.

What Changes?

How about a 40 second timer for the TMO. If a decision cant be made in that time. Move on.

Bring back the 9pt try from Global Rapid Rugby. For Tries where play is initiated in the opposition 22.

This is a good start, but I think we will need to take this a step further.

I am about to suggest something that might be considered out of left field. They could also be considered a bit of a stretch.

I am suggesting that all the interested parties work together. All the teams. the Unions (RA, NZRU, FRU (Fiji) and Samoa Rugby) Also the Referees and the Broadcasters and Commentary team and Producers of Content. along with Reporters and Editors.

In no way Am I suggesting that the winners/losers are decided. This is not professional wrestling.

What I am suggesting is that Teams concentrate on attack - rather then Defense. That 5 Metre Lineout to a rolling maul to have the Hooker score is phased out to be be replaced by the Winger running 49 Metres and stepping 4 defenders to score under the black dot.

If the play is exciting. Players want to play. We might stop some players moving overseas.

If the play is fun. People want to watch. More bums on seats. More people connecting to Stan

The Referees are an important part. They need to let the players play. They are an import part of the product.

The Teams need to recruit Social media squads. Putting up 30 second video clips of great tries or thumping tackles.

Players need to be rewarded by their teams and the Competition for best tackles or spectacular tries.

If all the parties are on the same page. Have the Competition as the centre of attention. We might come out of this on top.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    You want entertaining rugby? Watch the Crusaders v Blues match that just happened.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Champion
    vCash
    I was thinking the same! That match was amazing!

vCash
    TMO should only be involved in foul/cynical play or if asked by the Ref.

Like GRR time limit for scrum and line out. 1 reset only

"Injured" players are either playing or they are off (unless head/Neck injury) the time wasted, which is a tactic needs to be removed, allow the fatigue and bench be used

Last edited by Leo86; 15-04-22 at 17:09. Reason: Spelling

vCash
    one of the best games i have seen in a long time i pity our Aussie teams unless they improve out of sight

vCash
    Really enjoyed that too. But at one point near full-time the ref gifted the Crusaders a 5 metre attacking scrum feed when refusing to review how the ball went dead. With the amount of interference from TMO's it was hard to see why Sir refused Papali's pleas. Or was it a bit of push-back?

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    I can't remember where I saw it, or maybe I read it. But the next Broadcast deal for SuperRugby Pacifica is going to likely be a pay cut.

I'd like to think that we would agree that Australian Rugby really can't afford a reduction to the money that the Super Teams have to pay the players.

For a long time, the early iterations of the Super Rugby Competition were considered the greatest provincial rugby competition in the world.

If our competition improves. Gets back to being the best in the world. Then surely that is worth more when it comes to Broadcast rights.

We need to face some home truths. Rugby Union is no longer a sport. Its in the Entertainment Industry. We arent competing against AFL, NRL, A-League, NFL, NBA, Formula 1, NASCAR etc etc etc. We are also competing against Married at First Sight, The Bachelor and Re-Runs of Faulty Towers and re-runs of The Big Bang Theory.

We need to make changes. To make our sport - or maybe we need to refer to it as our product. To make it enjoyable. Sustainable in the 21 Century.

What Changes?

How about a 40 second timer for the TMO. If a decision cant be made in that time. Move on.

Bring back the 9pt try from Global Rapid Rugby. For Tries where play is initiated in the opposition 22.

This is a good start, but I think we will need to take this a step further.

I am about to suggest something that might be considered out of left field. They could also be considered a bit of a stretch.

I am suggesting that all the interested parties work together. All the teams. the Unions (RA, NZRU, FRU (Fiji) and Samoa Rugby) Also the Referees and the Broadcasters and Commentary team and Producers of Content. along with Reporters and Editors.

In no way Am I suggesting that the winners/losers are decided. This is not professional wrestling.

What I am suggesting is that Teams concentrate on attack - rather then Defense. That 5 Metre Lineout to a rolling maul to have the Hooker score is phased out to be be replaced by the Winger running 49 Metres and stepping 4 defenders to score under the black dot.

If the play is exciting. Players want to play. We might stop some players moving overseas.

If the play is fun. People want to watch. More bums on seats. More people connecting to Stan

The Referees are an important part. They need to let the players play. They are an import part of the product.

The Teams need to recruit Social media squads. Putting up 30 second video clips of great tries or thumping tackles.

Players need to be rewarded by their teams and the Competition for best tackles or spectacular tries.

If all the parties are on the same page. Have the Competition as the centre of attention. We might come out of this on top.
    X have you heard anywhere if Stan will go for the rights again? They have done a good job I think. Some annoying commentators but will take it over Fox.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    You want entertaining rugby? Watch the Crusaders v Blues match that just happened.
    This.

You don't need to introduce gimmicky crap to improve Rugby. Australia is just bad at it when compared to Kiwi sides.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    This.

You don't need to introduce gimmicky crap to improve Rugby. Australia is just bad at it when compared to Kiwi sides.
    Totally agree as long as by "Australia" you mean the quality of players and referees.
    The NZ and European games are better watching than all but a few games in SR Au.
    Even Club rugby is more entertaining.

The skill level of our players and consistency of refs are both poor.
    No major changes to rules.
    Focus on improving player skills and consistency of interpretation (esp with scrums, offside and rucks) and strict and consistent application of the laws.
    No more on-field warnings - leave that to the pre-game chat from the refs.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Did anyone watch the Reds vs Rebels match last night?

the second half started with a 20-minute game of kick to kick. No idea what happened after that. I walked out of the shed.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Senior Player
    vCash
    Or the fact X that Damon Murphy blew his first penalty 33 secs into the game!
    my opinion is maybe stop playing to strict game plans and let the players play, the aimless kicking particularly when not under pressure and when an extra player advantage is just ridiculous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boof1050 View Post
    the aimless kicking particularly when not under pressure and when an extra player advantage is just ridiculous.
    You only need to look back to the prior match to see what can happen. The Blues had dominated the game, at one stage with 2 man advantage and a decent lead. Then they decided to put the cue in the rack and were almost run down. The tactic of continual indiscriminate kicking to probably the best back 3 counter-attackers in the game had to be seen to be believed. Great finish - but probably shouldn't have been.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Senior Player
    vCash
    I tend not to view the NZ derbies these days (time is short) but watched this one on replay following the recommendation.

It was a good game!

Quote Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
    one of the best games i have seen in a long time i pity our Aussie teams unless they improve out of sight
    I fear you may be on the money...

Player
    vCash
    I think all teams in OZ should review that game as a training video. Exactly how rugby should be played …….

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I have never seen another game played at that pace ever. Beautiful to watch. That was Entertainment!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast