Thread: Ex-Wallaby on how Aussie's Super Rugby teams will fare against Kiwi teams

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Ex-Wallaby on how Aussie's Super Rugby teams will fare against Kiwi teams

Former Wallaby great Tim Horan has given his assessment on how the Australian teams will fare against their Kiwi counterparts when Super Rugby Pacific enters the Trans Tasman fixtures later this month.

The two-time World Cup winner believed ‘the real competition’ starts for Aussie clubs in round 10 in Melbourne when all teams will congregate for a Super round.

“We had the Reds and the Brumbies last night, number one and two on the table, I know the Kiwi teams are one or two games behind us but I think the real Super Rugby Pacific will start in round 10 when the New Zealand teams come to Melbourne to see how we can deliver,” Horan told The Breakdown.

“I think the Queensland Reds and the Brumbies have got to the stage now where they can match it, potentially win a couple of games, but the other three teams, the Rebels, Force and Waratahs, have still got a bit to go.

“The Reds were very strong against the Brumbies, who were the only team in Super Rugby Pacific to have not lost a game before Saturday.

On what the Aussie sides need to deliver to earn wins over the Kiwi sides, Horan believed that they have to bring a fast game to the table after improving their skill levels over the last few seasons.

He also said that playing their Australian derbies first may have been a blessing in disguise to allow the sides to improve their match fitness and game skills.

“I think it has to be up tempo,” he said.

“I think playing our six or seven rounds has helped us leading into this round 10, to one, get our fitness level up but two, get our skill level up to a position where we can actually match it with the New Zealand teams.

“I think our skills in the backs have improved a lot in the last two or three years but the forwards with the tip passes, not always going to ground, we are trying to stay up a little bit more, we’ve got a bit to go in that area.”

At the peak of Australian Rugby in 2014, the Waratahs are on the rebuild in 2022 after a disappointing 2021 season. Horan was asked if they are capable of emulating the Reds, who were in a trough and have been transformed into one of Australia’s best sides under Brad Thorn.

“For the Waratahs, I was really impressed. I watched their three trial games this year, they won against the Reds and the Brumbies. I just think they’ve got a good young team coming through,” he said.

“Darren Coleman the new coach, he’s a coach that allows these players to express themselves.

“This young team has been together two maybe three years now so they may need to deliver this year.

“Michael Hooper came back on Friday night for his first game back from a long injury layoff.

“It’s good core of players, young players but also they’re sort of old enough and experienced enough they have to deliver.

“For us in Australia, 62 or 63 per cent of our fan base is in New South Wales. We need them a good New South Wales team, we need them in the top eight, hopefully in a couple of months time.”

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/news...be88f7ff9f99d5

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    “For us in Australia, 62 or 63 per cent of our fan base is in New South Wales. We need them a good New South Wales team, we need them in the top eight, hopefully in a couple of months time.”

While this attitude remains, rugby will continue to die in Australia. What you need Tim is to grow your fan base outside of NSW and the east coast in general and then it wont matter which team is in the top 8 as there will be fans everywhere. While you continue to pursue higher numbers in heartlands while ignoring the rest you are just bringing the game further to it's knees and I only know of a couple of things you can do on your knees and pray is one of them.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by The InnFORCEr; 06-04-22 at 13:39.
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post

I only know of a couple of things you can do on your knees and pray is one of them.
    Lay laminate floors, ceramic tiles, carpets? Lawn bowls? Yoga? Knee-boarding? C'mon TIF, give us a clue.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Lay laminate floors, ceramic tiles, carpets? Lawn bowls? Yoga? Knee-boarding? C'mon TIF, give us a clue.
    do i sense a tremble?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Ha ha. I can see how you made that leap. But the one about men with big toes had me scratching my head a bit.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Sometimes I draw a long bow,big toes indicate(apparently) a larger organ,that may ,from time to time lack blood supply,lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    Sometimes I draw a long bow,big toes indicate(apparently) a larger organ,that may ,from time to time lack blood supply,lol
    ..............and here was me thinking the answer was that they wear bigger shoes.

vCash
    Getting your head chopped off with a sword would be my suggestion for Horan

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Getting your head chopped off with a sword would be my suggestion for Horan
    I don't like how Horan consistently shows bias, glaringly displayed by his woeful attempt to excuse Tualima's red card "clean-out" of Slipper last week. But he earned a season worth of brownie points by conning Mitchell into washing a cow's arse with a flannel a while back on Rugby Heaven. I was really hoping the cow to drop another one on his white sneakers.

vCash
    I don't like how Horan consistently shows bias, glaringly displayed by his woeful attempt to excuse Tualima's red card "clean-out" of Slipper last week.
    Or pumping Reesjan Pasitoa up as the next Wallaby 10 without doing any research beyond He played firsts at Nudgee.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post

While this attitude remains, rugby will continue to die in Australia. What you need Tim is to grow your fan base outside of NSW and the east coast in general and then it wont matter which team is in the top 8 as there will be fans everywhere. While you continue to pursue higher numbers in heartlands while ignoring the rest you are just bringing the game further to it's knees and I only know of a couple of things you can do on your knees and pray is one of them.
    When we went to some games in NSW, admittedly Force games but we also went to a couple of Waratah home games and the largest crowd at one of their games in Parramatta was less than 5000! Great supporter base NOT!

May the FORCE be with you!