Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Force List 2023 speculation

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Ollie Hoskins Has resigned with the exiles.

https://www.london-irish.com/news/ho...-irish/bp3557/

Would have loved to have seen him come back but he is going great guns over at Irish.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Veteran
    vCash
    please, hyphens!

resigned or re-signed....

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Hodgo addressing the members tonight.
    Cron involved in recruitment
    80% of playing squad signed for next year
    Mentioned that announcements should be forthcoming in the next couple weeks.

vCash
    Jordan Olowafela's brother Ryan has left Jersey Reds, wonder if he's worth a pick-up?

Jersey Reds have confirmed that 10 members of the back-line from the 2021/22 squad will return for next season’s campaign. Those retained will join 14 forwards – already announced – and a clutch of new signings when the squad begin pre-season training in a few weeks ahead of the 2022/23 season.

The returnees are as follows:

* James Elliott (scrum-half) – set for his 3rd season with the Reds
    * James Mitchell (scrum-half) – 2nd season
    * Brendan Cope (fly-half) – 7th season (across two spells)
    * Tom Pittman (fly-half) – 2nd season
    * Dan Barnes (centre) – 3rd season
    * Jordan Holgate (centre) – 2nd season
    * Will Brown (wing) – 2nd season
    * Ryan Hutler (wing) – 3rd season
    * Brendan Owen (wing/full-back) – 4th season
    * Scott Van Breda (wing/full-back) – 4th season (across two spells)

The club will also say farewell to some of the backs who were part of the squad during the past season:

* Will Lane (scrum-half)
    * Harry Simmons (scrum-half/wing), who spent the season on loan to the Reds from Leicester Tigers
    * Sam Leeming (fly-half)
    * Jack Roberts (centre)
    * Ryan Olowofela (wing)

Director of Rugby Harvey Biljon said:

“It’s great to have around two-thirds of this season’s squad coming back in the summer for pre-season – this will give us a great platform on which to build as we go into the 2022/23 campaign.

“At the same time we are saying goodbye to some of those who played a big part in a successful season – I’d like to thank Will, Harry, Sam, Jack and Ryan for their contributions and wish them all the best for the future.”

The club will have further announcements to follow regarding new signings.

The Reds finished fourth in the 2021/22 Championship, their 10th campaign at the second tier of the English game since promotion from National 1 in 2012. The club lost just six out of 20 games and amassed a record haul of 69 league points, as well as reaching the semi-finals of the Championship Cup.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo86 View Post
    Hodgo addressing the members tonight.
    Cron involved in recruitment
    80% of playing squad signed for next year
    Mentioned that announcements should be forthcoming in the next couple weeks.
    Well, looks like overtures to Edmed came to nought. The warehousing at the Tahs continues it's merry way with them retaining him, Donaldson and Harrison. This is one aspect often not taken into account with Wallaby top-ups - it also helps leave a little in the kitty to spread around.

I think Pasitoa has most upside, but at the moment those three have more quality around them. It leaves our cupboard pretty bare, with realistically only Keunzle and Strachan as cover as things stand.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Would've been good to get Edmed for sure, but he probably wasn't too keen after becomoing the number 1 at the Tahs in the back end of the season. Main reason for switching would be more game time, which would'n't be at all guaranteed with Pasitoa in our squad. We've got Campbell Parata also who sounds promising, as well as Jack Macgregor and Prior in a pinch if needed. So not looking too bad at 10 really. Possibly just need an older head to help guide these youngsters - Peter Grant to do some part time coaching / mentoring would be ideal

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Well, looks like overtures to Edmed came to nought. The warehousing at the Tahs continues it's merry way with them retaining him, Donaldson and Harrison. This is one aspect often not taken into account with Wallaby top-ups - it also helps leave a little in the kitty to spread around.
    There's also the fact that many players would prefer to stay at home, if they could. Whilst some of us like to move around, the lure of staying with the familiar and not incurring the expenses of moving interstate shouldn't be ignored. It's why we have to overpay for players of similar stature to the Eastern states.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chiraag View Post
    We've got Campbell Parata also who sounds promising, as well as Jack Macgregor and Prior in a pinch if needed
    If McGregor & Parata are re-signed things will look better. Maybe among the announcements to come, after missing Edmed.

I watched a bit of Parata playing GPS/NPC over the summer. He looks a tactical 5/8 with an impressive passing game. Pasitoa's first instinct seems to be "run". I'd have liked to see how he'd go with the step-up. He could maybe complement a 12 like Keunzle or even Pasitoa.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I reckon Positoa will be the starting 10 for Australia A in the Pacific Nations Cup this year.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I think Pasitoa with Parata, Pollan and Prior as back ups is fine. Kuenzl could go there too.

Centres and THPs are a far bigger priority.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I think the Waratahs saved our ass by signing edmed. He would have taken a huge chunk of coin out of our kitty and offer not much different to pasitoa. IF we get a 10, we need a mentor for reesjan or backups for injury, we have the latter and certainly McGregor won't be fighting contracts off with a stick.

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    First, foremost, and above anything else what the Force needs are a fullback and at least one winger that can kick long and accurately. Not being able to clear lines or gain territory are the main reason that games stay close and get lost, and without fixing that I don't think it'll really matter who they recruit. Frankly, even if they get some proper kickers, it should be a massive focus area during what is a very long off season. No excuse for the existing kicking players not to be significantly improved by next February.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Bring back Uyen.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Bring back Uyen.
    Nick Phipps has left london Irish to “pursue a new opportunity abroad”.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it is us, for him to have one last crack at a World Cup squad. Would expect us to start naming some signings soon

Also I wouldn’t be too excited about it, would prefer we persist with fines and McDonald. Plus he is 2 years older than prior, I was surprised prior is still only 31, feels like a lot of us have been ready to send him off to retirement

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I honestly think Fines could be anything, if he wants it bad enough. He could do worse than spend a lot of time in video analysis during this off season, looking at the NZ halves and a few others to see what sets them apart. Australia could definitely do with a really good, fast, running 9 and you'd have to think Rennie would appreciate the option.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast