Thread: Tony Lewis interview

vCash

Tony Lewis interview

Western Force CEO Tony Lewis talks about the coaching changes at the Force, as well as the departure of Fergus Lee-Warner. Thanks to Peter Vlahos and SENWA for the interview and audio.

More...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Can't open it.

Senior Player
    vCash

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    So it is the best interest of the team to employ a coach who has never held a SR head coach position but has done well at coaching a Shute Shield team! of course some relative was an All Black so thats always good on the resume!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Perth Girl View Post
    So it is the best interest of the team to employ a coach who has never held a SR head coach position but has done well at coaching a Shute Shield team! of course some relative was an All Black so thats always good on the resume!
    Ex, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he take the team not only to their first premiership but also their first final in the 40 year history of the club. So that's definitely something of note and it means he has a history of turning teams around. I believe he also took his Japan team to 3rd in last years competition. He has also been under the mentorship of Steve Hansen for the past two years who had something like a 90% win rate with the All Blacks. Don't forget, Hansen would have also hired Cron so he must have seen something special in him as he would not have hired any random coach.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    You could decide to characterise him as a World Cup winning assistant coach of the All Blacks but NO!

Why do you always go negative bro?

C'mon the

vCash
    I have taken a quote from Simon from 2017 and I think this will resonate with a lot of people and this is why he may be the next step up:

Name:  cron1.png
Views: 521
Size:  40.4 KB

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Posted this on another thread but thought it was relevant for this one too:

Found this article from the SMH last year:

“The reason for me coming to Japan was working with Steve and a family decision. Steve made it really clear to me when he was talking about Japan he didn’t want to coach another team, he wanted to mentor a coach and he’d like me to be that person. That was very humbling.”

Hooper and Read, respective captains of the Wallabies and All Blacks in many Bledisloe Cup outings, have now joined forces in the Top League and love what Cron brings to the table as a head coach.

“He’s really cutting his teeth over here,” Hooper said. “I’ve certainly seen a growth in him since I last was coached by him. Being around Steve and Kieran and bouncing ideas off some of the other coaches up here ... he is only going to improve more and more.”

Read said Cron’s ability to remain calm, while navigating translation and COVID-19 complications, was admirable.

Hansen is keen to extend Cron’s Japanese contract and deep down hopes one day he can move into the Kiwi system.

“If Steve has anything to do with it, he’s only going one way when he comes back, which I believe is to New Zealand,” Read said. “As a coach you can go anywhere. I’ve been really impressed with what he’s done up here and I think he’s got a big future. It’s going to be up to him and his family.”

Not so fast, says Hooper, who played under Cron at the Waratahs in 2018 and 2019.

..... and guess where he has landed up!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    I have taken a quote from Simon from 2017 and I think this will resonate with a lot of people and this is why he may be the next step up:

Name:  cron1.png
Views: 521
Size:  40.4 KB
    The last line of that quote is the very area that is the team's Achilles Heel as I see things just lately. The attitude is there already and Tim Sampson gets credit for that. A lot of the players who will probably stay are still young & on a learning curve. Perhaps the personnel being gathered are the ones best equipped to develop that. They are nearly all from an environment that has grown a world class production line of skilled, fit Rugby machines for a couple of decades now. Eh, bro.

We know the facts and reasons behind Rugby's slide down the Australian sports landscape. NZ doesn't have the same situation; so why not borrow some of that expertise if they are looking to provide it? My other (Mungo) team has also seen value in having a young coach mentored by Steve Hansen and it seems to be going pretty OK so far.

Patience grasshoppers.

Last edited by shasta; 29-03-22 at 15:55.
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Tony Lewis was on sportsline this morning

A real encouraging interview with Tony this morning.

Important takeouts:

- Simon Cron and coaching team have settled in well and will be trying to get the best out of the players.
    - Good competition for places especially in the back line.
    - Starting 15 on Saturday likely to be strong
    - Theme for the year community
    - Also covers HBF park, need for rectangle stadium later in the year for possible additional matches and Eddie Jones

Last edited by Tazzmania; 01-02-23 at 15:15.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    like to hear some comments from Cron himself,this is the usual preaseason talk up,which is fair enough i guess