Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Six changes made for historic battle with Fijian Drua

Player
    vCash
    Interesting call on the Callan yellow . While there was far too many red zone infringements …. from previous matches usually a warning from the ref ‘“too many down here next in the bin “ I didn’t hear anything from Berry just a straight yellow. Cost us 7 points ..,, I didn’t think it was cynical from Callan

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsetal06 View Post
    Interesting call on the Callan yellow . While there was far too many red zone infringements …. from previous matches usually a warning from the ref ‘“too many down here next in the bin “ I didn’t hear anything from Berry just a straight yellow. Cost us 7 points ..,, I didn’t think it was cynical from Callan
    If I remember correctly (I haven’t rewatched) there were 3 penalties in quick concession so I think, possibly no time to warn but a deserved team yellow. I called it at the time.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin77 View Post
    We are a poor team.
    I hate to say it.
    Our pack kept us in it last year and is doing nearly as well this year (but probably not as effective).
    Our backs are so frustrating and the amount of 'unforced' errors we make are not acceptable.

I understand our limitations but we are playing to a level less than the sum of our parts the last three weeks and I just don't know why.
    What could be the underlying reasons?

Poor handling/skill sets, game planning and management... responsibility of Coaching staff. No-one has ever questioned Tim Sampson but he is ultimately responsible.

Kicking in general play/penalty kicks for touch. Do we have a kicking coach? Genuine question.

On field leadership. When they are under pressure they make silly mistakes and sometimes seem rudderless. We have some very senior players in the team but ultimately this is the responsibility of Kaitu'u. In the press release when he was made captain they made a point of saying he is a great bloke and always smilimg. That's fantastic but an on-field leader needs to pull team-mates into line when needed, manage the ref and lead by example. I wonder if the weight of captaincy is affecting his own performance?

It sounds like I'm trying to bag Kaitu'u, which I'm not, the whole team as a unit needs to lift. If we continue with performances like the last two weeks the NZ sides are going to rip us a new one.

vCash
    We seem to have gone massively backwards since the first 2 weeks. You can forgive a week or maybe 2 off, but it now seems it's a consistent trend.

Our attack has reverted to type after the green shoots shown early this year and we seem to lose shape and look a bit lost after we string together 5 or more phases.

Composure and leadership definitely lacking also. Not sure Feleti is the right choice - can't say I can remember seeing him in the ref's ear, which is important to have for a team.

Last edited by chiraag; 19-03-22 at 23:00.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    If I remember correctly (I haven’t rewatched) there were 3 penalties in quick concession so I think, possibly no time to warn but a deserved team yellow. I called it at the time.
    Yep. He was playing advantage for the other infri gements. Fair cop.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by todd4 View Post
    What could be the underlying reasons?

Poor handling/skill sets, game planning and management... responsibility of Coaching staff. No-one has ever questioned Tim Sampson but he is ultimately responsible.

Kicking in general play/penalty kicks for touch. Do we have a kicking coach? Genuine question.

On field leadership. When they are under pressure they make silly mistakes and sometimes seem rudderless. We have some very senior players in the team but ultimately this is the responsibility of Kaitu'u. In the press release when he was made captain they made a point of saying he is a great bloke and always smilimg. That's fantastic but an on-field leader needs to pull team-mates into line when needed, manage the ref and lead by example. I wonder if the weight of captaincy is affecting his own performance?

It sounds like I'm trying to bag Kaitu'u, which I'm not, the whole team as a unit needs to lift. If we continue with performances like the last two weeks the NZ sides are going to rip us a new one.
    I swear. Did you listen in on the phone call I had with SNOB about 4.5 hours ago??

Last year it was like Tim Sampson was all by himself and he did a fantastic job. This year Hodgo goes and gets the Coaching Staff and Team Management from Hawkes Bay. ITN Cup is not Super Rugby - are the Coaching team struggling to get the message across?

Feleti Kaitu'u is a great player and possible Wallaby in the Future. I just don't see him as a Leader. He has zero interaction with the Referee. And that is a required interaction in the game today. I think that Richard Kahui or Jeremy Thrush. Their experience level is unsurpassed and the Force squad seem to happily follow them anywhere.

Kicking is a genuine tactic when its executed properly. In a state where the most popular sport is all about kicking a football - why have we not recruited a Former AFL player/Coach to help us out?

Anyway - just my thoughts.

Its very possible that this grab a win from nowhere today could help turn things around. But I don't like our chances against the Brumbies next week.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Senior Player
    vCash
    I know it was not our best game but I think some people are forgetting that this Drua are not the same Drua team that played at the start of the season. This Drua side almost beat the reds last week.

Also, we get a blady win (ok not the prettiest one) and all people can do is complain. Geesh, enjoy some celebration, of course there are things we need to work on and we should certainly discuss those things but we can also look at the blady positives like how we were able to keep the ball in hand for something like 25 phases at the end without dropping it despite the wet conditions.

Also please stop blaming the coaches. They literally arrived just before the season started and so they did not really have the time to have the effect they should have. Just like the players need time to gell, so do the coaches.

Yes we really do need to turn things around but 2 wins and 2 LBPs from each of our two tours over east is not the worst way to start a season.

Sorry, I just needed to get that off my chest

P.S We really need Kane back

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by volvo; 19-03-22 at 19:34.

vCash
    I totally agree with the above from Volvo. Our blokes have really racked up some time away and frequent flyer points so far. If they continue that way it's true the kiwis will likely tear em a new one. But FFS, credit where it's due, guys. It was the mark of a tough resilient team to come back from where they were today, while playing very clunky. It is probably a bit disrespectful of the Drua to say any different. I think more than one or two Australian teams might have had a cricket score put on them the way Fiji were running riot today and the way the rub of the green went. If they keep improving they'll take some more scalps for sure. I haven't watched again yet; but I'm pretty sure the boys should have got the winning penalty right in front of the sticks well before Keunzle had to settle for being the Iceman. That was composure under pressure & against the clock. Onward.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Just another thing I want to add.

with a predominately Kiwi Coaching staff. Will we have the same problem that the Wallabies had with Robbie Deans. Even the Western Force 1.0 had issues with John Mitchell.

Is it possible that something is lost in Translation?

Do Australian players have a problem with Kiwi Coaching Methods or style?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I just wish Tim Sampson could be allowed to coach without the peanut gallery in the background. If he gets thrown under the bus at the end of the season I am done with the Force. We didn’t save the Force for this!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    Just another thing I want to add.

with a predominately Kiwi Coaching staff. Will we have the same problem that the Wallabies had with Robbie Deans. Even the Western Force 1.0 had issues with John Mitchell.

Is it possible that something is lost in Translation?

Do Australian players have a problem with Kiwi Coaching Methods or style?
    There's certainly a (rugby) cultural issue somewhere

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I just wish Tim Sampson could be allowed to coach without the peanut gallery in the background. If he gets thrown under the bus at the end of the season I am done with the Force. We didn’t save the Force for this!
    I don't think anyone is throwing Tim under the bus at Force HQ. In fact the whole point of rejigging the coaching staff was to help Tim focus on being a head coach. I also like Tim but he is not the only one in the organisation. Everyone is just trying to do everything they can to make it a successful franchise from Tony down to the intern as that is everyone's job

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    I don't think anyone is throwing Tim under the bus at Force HQ. In fact the whole point of rejigging the coaching staff was to help Tim focus on being a head coach. I also like Tim but he is not the only one in the organisation. Everyone is just trying to do everything they can to make it a successful franchise from Tony down to the intern as that is everyone's job
    Not throwing him under the bus just yet. He asked for his contract to be extended after the end of last season. They refused. My trust radar is troubled.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I just wish Tim Sampson could be allowed to coach without the peanut gallery in the background.
    Hardly a peanut gallery:

Tony Lewis - WF CEO (Ex CEO Tasman Makos - NPC Champs 2019 & 2020; 2nd in 2014, '16, '17.
    Matt Hodgson - GM Rugby - WF since 2006.

Tim Sampson - Head Coach - ACT Vikings. WF since 2018.

Paul Tito – Forwards Coach - Player (NZU19, NZU21, NZ Maori, Taranaki, Chiefs, Hurricanes, Cardiff Blues).
    Coach - Taranaki NPC Champs 2014, Paloise/Pau - 3 years, Chiefs U20s.
    Mark Ozich – Attack Coach - NZ Hawkes Bay - NPC Champs 2020 and finalists 2021.
    Nick Hensley - Defence Coach (Uni NSW) WF since 2018.

Dylan Parsons – Skills Coach – WF & Academy (WA Rugby)
    Anthony Cutrupi - Head of Athletic Performance (Ex Waratahs)
    Hal Marsden - Strength, Power & Rehab (Ex Melbourne Storm)
    Chris Goodman - GM Fortescue Academy (High Performance Crusaders - 8 years)

Five of the above group have only been in their jobs since late last year. i.e. 3-6 months.

The Western Force is a professional SR franchise.
    The Administration, Coaches, Support Staff and player group will be judged on their performance on the park and support of grassroots development of rugby in WA.

It's fair to say that playing in SRAu, SRTT and SRPacifica has been challenging for all of us over the past 2.5 years of Covid-19.
    This is particularly the case for the team that travels more than any other franchise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    I know it was not our best game but I think some people are forgetting that this Drua are not the same Drua team that played at the start of the season. This Drua side almost beat the reds last week.
    Not to mention that either Tim's try stands or the subsequent drua try isn't scored if we have a ref who maintains a consistent standard.

C'mon the

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast