Thread: Force First to Pay Women Players.

vCash

Force First to Pay Women Players.

Nick Taylor
    The West Australian.

Western Force have become the first Australian Super Rugby club to pay their women players. The groundbreaking news comes on the eve of the Force women opening their Super season in a double-header with the men's side against Queensland Reds at HBF Park on Friday.

Link to the story - but I can't break this pay wall.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...yers-c-5900226

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Two years in the making: Force relishing home return for Super W opener
    Thu, 03/03/2022, 06:38 am
    Nathan Williamson

The Western Force are relishing the opportunity to play in front of their home fans after a turbulent period, set to kick off the Super W season against the Reds.

It will be a homecoming for both of the Force's teams, with the men's side forced on the road to start Super Rugby Pacific.

However, this pales in comparison to the sacrifices the women's side have gone through, with Friday's clash at HBF Park against the Reds ending a 726-day wait.

“It’s pretty exciting to get some game time and have that first game at home,” Force forward Annika Simpkins said.

“It means a lot and we’ve worked really hard to get to this point. We’re just thankful that the borders have opened to play."

The Force have extra motivation heading into this season, forced to withdraw from the 2021 edition due to COVID.

The WA-based club had already made the trip to Coffs Harbour, however, the NSW outbreak gave them little option but to head back home after just one game.

“It was real disappointing for us, but COVID is COVID, we wanted to be safe,” Simpkins reflected.

“Finally getting that green light, it’s just built a lot of fire in our tummy and we are raring the go, it’s really important for us.

“There were a lot of tears, a lot of emotions. We just tried to make sure everyone’s mental health was alright because we worked so hard and we were all over there on game day when we got told no so a lot of us were hurting.

“We just stuck together and that’s what brought us closer and more determined this year. We weren’t finished.”

With fears of a repeat in 2022, Simpkins and the Force were excited to get the green light to impress in front of friends and family.

“As soon as they said it wasn’t going to open, we thought ‘oh no here we go again’,” she admitted when asked if they feared they would not be able to play in this year’s competition.

“We’ve worked so far and we weren’t going to get anything so it just put a lot of doubt in the girls’ minds but we had our leadership group keep them going and positive, our coaches were reminding us ‘this is not the end, we’ll get game time we just don’t know when.’

“We just keep pushing and pushing.

"...“To get that green light, (it) means the world to us and our families."

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/force-...-opener-202232

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian.

Western Force have become the first Australian Super Rugby club to pay their women players. The groundbreaking news comes on the eve of the Force women opening their Super season in a double-header with the men's side against Queensland Reds at HBF Park on Friday.

Link to the story - but I can't break this pay wall.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...yers-c-5900226
    Fantastic news

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Fantastic news
    I thought so too. It's makes little difference really, but GeeRob is claiming the Rabble were first to strike a pay deal. And a superior one at that. Good news for them both anyway.

The Western Force will become only the second Australian Super W side to pay their players in a move that will ramp up pressure on their rivals to follow suit.

On the eve of the Super W season, which will feature 12 double-headers with Super Rugby games and a weekly free-to-air match on 9GO, Force chief Tony Lewis announced his side was joining the Melbourne Rebels in handing match payments and training reimbursements to squad members..............

............It follows Melbourne’s move to pay match-day squad members $1000 a game and reimburse all squad members for training costs.

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/rug...02-p5a0y4.html

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David