Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Rebels v Western Force 26/02/2022

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Members' PS Structures Match Report - Western Force

The Western Force has claimed its first win of the Super Rugby Pacific season emphatically following a 28-3 bonus point triumph over the Melbourne Rebels at AAMI Park.

On top from the outset, Tim Sampson’s side was ruthless at both ends of the pitch, ensuring the Force head back to Perth with an away win to their name.

The Force enjoyed a solid start to the match. After a few opportunities for a try went begging, scrum-half Ian Prior opened the scoring for the second consecutive week after 19 minutes with a penalty goal (0-3).

Force’s persistence and sustained attacking pressure on the Rebels defence paid off at the 26-minute mark, with Tim Anstee powering over to score the first try of the match. Another well-executed lineout led to a rolling maul, with Anstee taking full advantage. Prior made no mistake from the conversion to open up a 10-point lead (0-10).

The Rebels opened their scoring account through the boot of Matt To’omua with a penalty goal after 35 minutes to narrow the deficit to a converted try (3-10).

Dominance in possession continued for the Force throughout the first half, with lineouts again proving a focal point. After the half time siren, the Force punished the Rebels through another successful penalty goal from Prior to take a 10-point lead into halftime (3-13).

The Force lifted the intensity further in the second half, with Kyle Godwin taking full advantage with his first try of the season after 42 minutes. The WA homegrown centre dashed over as first-receiver and evaded one defender before crossing over. Prior converted to see the Force lead by 17 (3-20).

Force fly-half Reesjan Pasitoa carved open space in the build-up to Godwin’s try, and his run led to a deliberate knock-on from Reece Hodge, which saw the Rebels full-back shown a yellow card.

Prior made it five from five kicking for goal, with the experienced scrum-half guiding his third penalty goal straight through the middle to make the score 23-3 in favour of the Force after 56 minutes.

Hodge received a red card at 76 minutes, following his second yellow card for a deliberate knock-on. Issak Fines-Leleiwasa used his speed and footwork to evade two Rebels defenders before his pass was knocked-on by Hodge.

Force refused to slow down, with Byron Ralston marking his return to the field with a well-executed try at the 79 minute mark. Fines-Leleiwasa again used his pace to open up space before finding Ralston on the right wing to score the Force’s third try of the night (3-28).

Game management and strength in set-piece situations proved key for the Force, with unwavering defensive efforts and attacking structure proving too much for the Rebels.

The Force return to Perth for the first home game of the season at HBF Park on Friday, 4 March. The blockbuster double-header against the Queensland Reds features the Super W season opener kicking off at 4:30pm and the Round 3 Super Rugby Pacific clash starting at 7:00pm.

Scorers:

Western Force – Tries: Tim Anstee (26'), Kyle Godwin (42'), Byron Ralston (79'). Penalties: Ian Prior (3). Conversions: Ian Prior (2)

Melbourne Rebels – Penalty: Matt To'omua.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Wot GIGS said. Horan went way up in my view with his cows arse stunt last week. Lost all those points with those comments.
    We need to remind Horan that Reesjan is from WA and he only spent 2 years in QLD at Nudgee school on a rugby bursary.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Great win. I was one of those calling for Fines to be starting over Prior but I think the strategy they are going with is pretty damn good. Prior controlling the game brilliantly early and perfect goal kicking and then fines carving up against tired players

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Been a few comments saying that the boys should have won by more. While it may seem so, maybe it's as simple as attack combinations still settling in. A 25 point win + BP I'll take all day any day. The Rabble are known for being good at containing opposition but lacking try scoring skill. The main thing I took from the game was the Force steadfast goal-line defense and in particular maul defense. I also liked Pasitoa's willingness to dig into the line. The experience & communication of Prior & Kahui on his flanks, I think, will see him rise on a steep learning curve. So I think that combo should be left as is for the next little while. When Kuenzel is available he could return from the bench.

Western Force snare first Super Rugby Pacific victory in grudge match over Melbourne Rebels
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Sat, 26 February 2022 7:35PM

Western Force opened their Super Rugby Pacific account with a 28-3 bonus-point win over Melbourne Rebels in Saturday’s grudge match at AAMI Park.

They bounced back after the heartbreaking final minute loss to the Brumbies and will be buoyed heading into the home game against Queensland Reds on Friday.

It equaled the biggest ever win by the Force over the Rebels but could have come at a cost with second-rower Izack Rodda helped off late in the game.

The Force were adventurous early with their new-found high-tempo game, forwards interchanging with backs and not just bashing it up – something they were more than happy to do when needed.

They sent plenty of runners into attack, found gaps in the Rebels defence and were able to offload from the shoulder.

Force coach Tim Sampson made just one enforced change, with experienced centre Richard Kahui replacing Bayley Kuenzle who received a head knock against the Brumbies.

And it was outstanding former All Black Kahui and young playmaker Reesjan Pasitoa, 16 years his junior, who both challenged the line to set up the win.

The Rebels showed their intent early, running the ball back at the Force defence and using width as they tried to test the Force close to the ruck.

But they were hit by a hard-edged defence and could not break the visitor’s line.

The Force ironed out a few of the simple errors that have dogged them in the past and dominated possession and territory.

They took a 10-point lead into the break with a Tim Anstee try, converted by scrum-half Ian Prior who also kicked two penalties.

Rebels playmaker Matt To’omua replied with a three-pointer.

But after forcing the Rebels into 62 more tackles, making 56 more carries for 166 metres — double the home side — the Force should have been further ahead.

They still failed to take enough points when they got close to the opposition line.

The Force came out with more intensity and could not have asked for a better start to the second 40 minutes.

Rebels full-back Reece Hodge was sent to the bin in the opening minute and after opting for a scrum instead of an easy three points from the resulting penalty, Kyle Godwin scythed through. Prior converted.

The double-hit brought a spark to the Rebels who brought some steel to their game but that was snuffed out by Prior’s third penalty and a second yellow to Hodge for a deliberate knock-on.

The Force finished the game in style with a third try from reserve back Byron Ralston in the corner after a tremendous break from scrum-half Issak Fines-Leleiwasa.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    First 20 or so was pretty impressive. They seemed to cruise in the back end of the 1st half. 2st half was a bit more consistent.
    Defence out wide was a concern. So was the high ball.
    Early scrum FK should've sorted the front row out but they got pinged again - what's that all about?
    The old man at 12 was tremendous. So was Rodda.
    Godwin will be a handful if he keeps playing like that. Opposition will either target him which leaves others unmarked, or they won't and he will make heaps breaks.
    A good, comfortable win, but I fell they left some points on the park.
    Keeping the oppo to one score was excellent. Especially that oppo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    First 20 or so was pretty impressive. They seemed to cruise in the back end of the 1st half. 2st half was a bit more consistent.
    Defence out wide was a concern. So was the high ball.
    Early scrum FK should've sorted the front row out but they got pinged again - what's that all about?
    The old man at 12 was tremendous. So was Rodda.
    Godwin will be a handful if he keeps playing like that. Opposition will either target him which leaves others unmarked, or they won't and he will make heaps breaks.
    A good, comfortable win, but I fell they left some points on the park.
    Keeping the oppo to one score was excellent. Especially that oppo.
    The start of a new record...The Rabble haven't scored a try in 3 halves of Rugby

Senior Player
    vCash
    Great to always get one on the Rabble. It was a bit scrappy at times but very happy to get the BP win. Pasitoa looking goods. I like how he is not afraid to go direct and take on the line. As others have said, he still needs time to grow and learn and the media who has hyped up other players in the past too early need to back off. Tim reiterated this in the press conference.

Tactical kicking was sooooo much better. Kahui, strachan, and pasitoa all deserve recommendations here. I'm liking having Prior the cooler head out there at the beginning and then letting Fines rip it up at the end.

Defense was immense, made a huge difference. Great maul defense as well.

If Tupou is back next week we are going to have to watch our scrum. Ready needs to clean up his lineout throw as well.

Press conference below: Looks like Rodda is ok, just some cramps

https://www.rugby.com.au/videos?id=a...ess_conference

vCash
    Was worried about roddas injury s I watched the replay with all the post game.

I saw him walking pretty comfortably with an ice pack 9n his calf so hopefully he can line up next week

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    How good was that!!!!

vCash
    Impressed with Prior's goal kicking. I don't think he's misses one. It really makes a difference in those tight games when you can take the extra points. Glad to see Godwin score a try. It really is a luxury to have someone like Kahui on the bench who can step up and play a starring role. Maybe he should start next game. Looking at the stats Koteka completed 19/19 tackles. That's massive!
    All in all very happy with that result.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by todd4 View Post
    Impressed with Prior's goal kicking. I don't think he's misses one. It really makes a difference in those tight games when you can take the extra points. Glad to see Godwin score a try. It really is a luxury to have someone like Kahui on the bench who can step up and play a starring role. Maybe he should start next game. Looking at the stats Koteka completed 19/19 tackles. That's massive!
    All in all very happy with that result.
    Kahui did start against the Rebels!

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Playmaker Pasitoa key to Force Super start
    Melissa Woods
    AAP
    February 27, 2022 12:16PM

While Test great Tim Horan is already calling for Reesjan Pasitoa to be fast-tracked into the Wallabies, Western Force coach Tim Sampson says the young Super Rugby Pacific playmaker shouldn't be rushed.

The 20-year-old was key to the Force's thumping 28-3 win over Melbourne, taking the line on to set up an early second-half try that deflated the Rebels in their return to AAMI Park on Saturday night.

Horan, now a rugby commentator, says Pasitoa must be earmarked for Wallabies selection.

"Reesjan Pasitoa has to be in the Wallabies squad in 2022. Early days I know, but he is a future star. At 20 years old....the time is right," Horan tweeted.

Pasitoa was raised in Perth before moving to Queensland on a rugby scholarship and then signing with the Brumbies as a 17-year-old, going on to play 10 matches.

Realising his path to the No.10 jersey in Canberra was blocked by another young gun in Noah Lolesio, he took up the offer to move home.

Ahead of a mouth-watering clash with Queensland in Perth on Friday night, Sampson said Pasitoa had passed every test thrown at him since his arrival.

"He had a really good pre-season with us. We threw a lot of responsibility his way over the last few months and it was by design," Sampson said.

"We wanted to challenge him and enable him to show some leadership qualities in meetings and out on the field.

"He's going really well."

While Sampson acknowledged Pasitoa had a bright future, he cautioned about piling too much pressure on the youngster who was still finding his way as a regular starter.

"We've just got to relax and let the young fella concentrate on week to week what he needs to for himself and also for our team," Sampson said.

"He's got a bright future, no doubt, but let's not put too much pressure on him."

Sampson credited the Force's set piece dominance over the hapless Rebels for giving Pasitoa space and time but said they would need to improve against the unbeaten Reds.

Queensland sit third on the Super Rugby Pacific ladder with the Brumbies top after two rounds.

"Your game thrives on the backend of a good set piece and that's going really well and we've changed some stuff up within our attack system and that's worked well the last couple of weeks," Sampson said.

"It's nice but we know we've got to get better and coming out of this game and playing the Reds we're going to have to be better again."

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...tart-c-5858129

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Kahui did start against the Rebels!
    Yes, and he played a starring role. Rather than dropping him back to the bench maybe he should start again next week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by todd4 View Post
    Yes, and he played a starring role. Rather than dropping him back to the bench maybe he should start again next week.
    Against a more organised defense than the rebels, I wouldn't mind seeing Bayley come back, you can always inject the experience if it's needed. That being said, I'd make massive changes across the team depending on who is fit for the Reds. Tupou and McDermott are massive outs if they can't get them fit for the game

C'mon the

vCash
    How's Jack Winchester coming along? Andrew Ready was woeful and really is too much of a penalty liability at the end of the game, so would be good to see Jack given a go if he's got potential. If Feleti went down for any reason, we'd be in some trouble I fear...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast