At the start of the year I was wondering what happend to Toni and why we had not had confirmation that he had signed.....

Nick Taylor in The West Explains:

Western Force winger Toni Pulu, who scored the team’s first try of the Super Rugby Pacific season, feared his career was over after a bad injury last season.

The flyer was taken off shortly after scoring in a 29-21 loss to the Crusaders in April last year and spent six months out of action.

He suffered a Lisfranc injury of the left foot where bones in the mid-section are broken or ligaments supporting them are torn.

Pulu returned home to New Zealand to recover and be with family with no idea what the future held until the Force came calling again.

“It’s one of the worst injuries you can get,” Pulu, who crossed in their last-minute 29-23 loss to the Brumbies on Sunday, said.

“It was frustrating and took a while to get back to where I am right now. I’m just happy to be playing again.

“I had pretty much nothing ahead of me. I was grateful that the Force gave me another chance.”

Former Force prop Kieran Longbottom suffered the same injury while playing for Sale in England. He needed two operations and spent six months in a protective boot.

“He had a chat and told me to take my time,” Pulu said.

“He told me not to rush back or I would keep having problems. I took that on board and made sure and I only started doing stuff when I was comfortable.”

Pulu said the Force had put Sunday’s defeat, when the Brumbies scored the winning try seconds from time, behind them.

They now face the Rebels in the Super Rugby Pacific grudge match at AAMI Park on Saturday.

“Obviously it was very disappointing to end like that,” Pulu said.

“But we did our review and quickly put it behind us to prepare for the Rebels.”

Rebels went down 23-5 to Queensland Reds in their opening game but Pulu said he expects an improved Melbourne side.

“It was wet and we know they can be a dangerous side. We can’t take them lightly.”

Pulu and fellow flyer Manasa Mataele have freedom to roam in the new Force style and Mataele started the move that led to Pulu’s try with a scything run from deep in his own half.

“The game plan we have is an attacking style that the boys enjoy,” Pulu said.

“It gives us freedom to play what we see.

“We get freedom to roam around and look for opportunities.”

Meanwhile, the Western Force women will play two Super W double-headers with the men’s side at HBF Park during their season.

They will open with a double-header against Queensland Reds Reds on March 4 and finish the regular season on April 8 with another against Melbourne Rebels.

After the season opener they play defending champions Waratahs on March 13, Fijiana Drua six days later, both at Leichhardt Oval, before facing the Brumbies in Canberra on April 3.

Great to have Toni back on board he was looking good last year and has picked up again were he left off.