Thread: NSW Waratahs turn to Steve 'Blocker' Roach

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

NSW Waratahs turn to Steve 'Blocker' Roach

Darren Walton
    February 21, 2022 1:13PM

Rugby league legend Steve Roach looms as a secret weapon as the NSW Waratahs strive to turn Leichhardt Oval into their own fortress this year.

After opening their campaign with a drought-breaking 40-10 win over Fijian Drua at CommBank Stadium, the Waratahs face Australia's defending champion Queensland Reds in a step up at Leichhardt on Friday night.

The Reds showdown marks the first of five games this season for the Waratahs at the long-time spiritual home of the NRL's Wests Tigers.

The only other home game for the Tahs will be at the SCG so it's no surprise coach Darren Coleman is eager to make Leichhardt enemy territory for opposition teams.

"The ground is close (to the crowd) - that grandstand's right on you, the hill's awesome and it's accessible from all over the city," Coleman said of one of Sydney's most boutique ovals.

"I reckon we can turn that into a bit of a fortress."

Enter "Blocker" Roach, the former Balmain, NSW State of Origin and Australian cult hero who Coleman has invited in to the Waratahs' dressing room.

Coleman hopes Roach can offer some inspiration for his young charges and some tips on how to make Leichhardt feel like home while the Sydney Football Stadium is being rebuilt.

In addition to the Reds, the Waratahs will host the Western Force, Hurricanes, Blues and 2021 Super Rugby Trans-Tasman winners the Crusaders at Leichhardt.

"It'd be my dream if we can fill those pubs around Balmain this year and get them rolling in (to Leichhardt)," Coleman said.

"If you get 10 or 12,000, it'll be like when Benny (Elias) and 'Blocker' were playing (for the Tigers)."

While thrilled to finally snap their 13-match losing run with their convincing win over the Drua, assistant coach Pauli Taumoepeau insists no one is getting carried away.

Taumoepeau says the Waratahs are well aware the Reds are another "step up" in class.

"There's no sort of bounce in our step. We understand that it's only one game and we played Fijian Drua, it was their first game, so we're not getting ahead of ourselves," he said.

"But it's better to turn up on a Monday when things go right.

"It's like a monkey off our back so now we can get on with the rest of it.

"Like everyone was talking about when are you going to win again, the winless season (from last year) and what-not.

"Now that that's happened, it's almost like it's a weight off our shoulders."

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...oach-c-5780165

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Bloody mungo...

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    That'll dead set do me.I've always been a Steve Roach fan. But the nickname "Blocker" for props was around in Sydney (at least), in both codes long before Steve Roach came along. It was a kinder way of calling the bloke Blockhead. Don't know what he can bring to the Tahs' shed....except maybe....

Darren Coleman: "Over to you Steve"

Blocker: "OK you blokes you gotta get stuck into those fkn Cane Toads. If your scrum is struggling; head butt Mafi and if that fails snot Scott-Young from the second row. If JOC starts running amok hit him with a coat-hanger. Same goes for McDermott. If your still losing - "Cattle Dog".

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    turn it up

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    That'll dead set do me.I've always been a Steve Roach fan. But the nickname "Blocker" for props was around in Sydney (at least), in both codes long before Steve Roach came along. It was a kinder way of calling the bloke Blockhead. Don't know what he can bring to the Tahs' shed....except maybe....

Blocker: "OK you blokes you gotta get stuck into those fkn Cane Toads. If your scrum is struggling; head butt Mafi and if that fails snot Scott-Young from the second row. If JOC starts running amok hit him with a coat-hanger. Same goes for McDermott. If your still losing - "Cattle Dog".
    and if any one of you fkers comes off at halftime not bleeding come n see me, I'll make sure you start the second half with an appropriate amount of claret

C'mon the

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    and if any one of you fkers comes off at halftime not bleeding come n see me, I'll make sure you start the second half with an appropriate amount of claret
    but Blocker,there is a F***N blood rule these days!!

vCash
    If I hadn't been a Manly fan I would have followed the Tigers back when Blocker and Co were playing.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper1 View Post
    If I hadn't been a Manly fan I would have followed the Tigers back when Blocker and Co were playing.
    Yeah? Then you could join Blocker & Sirro, still crying in their schooners over 1989.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Yeah? Then you could join Blocker & Sirro, still crying in their schooners over 1989.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    but Blocker,there is a F***N blood rule these days!!
    Blocker blood ruleSpill more of theirs than yoursRefs are pussies

C'mon the