Thread: Law variations confirmed for Super Rugby Pacific

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Law variations confirmed for Super Rugby Pacific

Wed, 16/02/2022, 09:57 am
    Nathan Williamson

The 20-minute red card and 50-22's are set to make their return as part of the new law variations for Super Rugby Pacific.

This will be included alongside the goal-line drop out, which was first trialled in Super Rugby AU, and variations to the golden point extra time.

Catch every game of the 2022 Super Rugby Pacific season on Stan Sport. Start your Free Sport Trial Now
    The red card variation sees the offending players sent off the field for 20 minutes before being replaced to restore 15 on 15 players.

Meanwhile, the Golden Point extra time is a shift on the 'Golden Try' ruling used in 2021 with matches drawn at full-time to go into 10 minutes of extra time where the team to score first points will be awarded the win. If no points are scored in Golden Point, then the match is declared a draw.

“The Global Law trials carried through into the Harvey Norman Super Rugby Pacific competition have proven to be very effective since being suggested by Scott Johnson 30 months ago and trialled in our Super Rugby AU competitions," RA General Manager of Professional Rugby Services Ben Whitaker said in a statement.

“Whilst the red card and golden point law variations ensure the fans are treated to competitive, exciting matches under all circumstances. These competition variations will ensure players and teams can showcase the Rugby power of the Pacific to fans around the region and world.”

“It’s great to have the coaches, players and referees working together again this season," NZR National Referee Manager Bryce Lawrence added.

"We all want to support quick ball at the breakdown so we can create space for our x-factor players. Fewer stoppages will also mean players are likely to fatigue and hopefully we’ll see more space for attacking Rugby.”

Meanwhile, Rugby Australia has confirmed Nic Berry, Jordan Way and Angus Gardner will take control of the opening Australian rounds of the competition.

They will be joined by Damon Murphy, Reuben Keane, and Graham Cooper as part of the official referee team before linking up with their Kiwi counterparts in Super Round.

“I’d like to congratulate all the members of our team who have been appointed to the Super Rugby Pacific panel," National Referees Manager, Scott Young said.

“While we are working in our respective unions for the opening rounds of the competition, a key focus will be continuity between both Australian and New Zealand games as we build up to a full schedule.

“While these officials are at the top of their game, we are continuing to build depth in our referee team, and the officiating space is looking excellent for the future."

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/law-va...acific-2022216

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I wonder whether they'll let Hometown hero Berry ref his beloved Reds this year

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    I really don't like the Goal Line Dropout. Works well in League, particularly in conjunction with the 20m re-start. But just seems out of place in Rugby. It can reward a team that is wilting under great defensive pressure. That's just not how Rugby is supposed to work to my mind, anyway. the Golden Try is an improvement but WTF is wrong with a hard fought draw anyway?? Don't mind the 50/20 not but would prefer 40/20. Not sure about the 20/50.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    That sure didn't change my mind.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David