Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Force v Reds Trial Game

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    No. He's eligible. As far as I know, it's only Senior caps for the A (International) and B (2nd International- e.g. Australia A, Wolfhound, Junior All Blacks) or 7s.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    I think I saw somewhere that he has played for England under somethings. Does that make ineligible to play for Australia?
    I think that's Louis Lynagh (older brother) who is in the England squad. Tom has decided to make himself eligible for Australia. There is a third son, Nicolo, and he could play for Italy (via mother) and really confuse everyone!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Match Report from WesternForce.com.au

Fast finishing Force secures win against the QLD Reds
    Sat, 05/02/2022, 09:04 pm

The final surge has seen the Western Force end their pre-season trial against the Queensland Reds with a nine-point win in Ballymore.

With less than 20 minutes to go on the clock, the Force trailed the Reds 33-21 before a series of excellent passes saw Reece Tapine fly over the line to begin the winning comeback.

Tapine’s try was quickly followed with WA homegrown talent Jackson Pugh putting the ball down on the back of a powerful driving maul to level the scores. Jack McGregor’s precise conversion put the Force in the lead by two points with less than three minutes to go.

However, the game was far from over as the team continued the unrelenting attack. After a series of phases, winger Brad Lacey scored himself a try from a brilliantly timed cut-out pass from Issak Fines-Leleiwasa in overtime. McGregor sealed the deal with a successful conversion to finish the game.

Despite the Force’s final attacking flurry, the game started as a tight encounter between both sides.

The Force started with the lead as Toni Pulu opened the scoring, followed by a conversion from Ian Prior.

The Reds quickly replied, with Tuaina Tualima closing in on the lead before Wallaby Filipo Dangunu levelled the scores with a conversion.

Not satisfied with just one try, Pulu once again pushed the Force into the lead, scoring out wide in the corner in the 15th minute. A great charge-down from inside centre Bayley Kuenzle gifted fullback Jake Strachan with a try to extend the lead. With two conversions from Prior, the Force was ahead by 14 points.

The Reds pushed back, putting down two of their own converted tries to level the scoreboard at 21-21 at halftime.

After a highly contested start to the second half, the Reds claimed the lead, with Josh Nasser claiming two tries to put them 12 points ahead with 20 minutes to go.

The Force determined to make an impact with the pre-season trial, stepping up their game pushing their way through the Reds defence to bring the win.

In addition to Wallabies and Force stalwarts, the game also showcased numerous Force Fortescue Academy players such as Luke Callan, George Poolman and Sifa Amone, proving depth within the team and a successful pathway for aspiring young WA rugby players.

With plenty of good set set-piece plays, a dominant display of strength from the forwards and skilful execution from the backs, the match proved the 2022 Super Rugby Campaign will be an exciting one.

Western Force 42

Tries: Pulu 2, Strachan, Tapine, Ready, Lacey

Conversions: Prior 3, McGregor 3

Queensland Reds 33

Tries: Nasser 2, Tualima, Thomas, Flook

Conversions: Daugunu 3, Paisami

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Match Report from reds.rugby

Reds fall short in tight tussle with Force at Ballymore
    Sat, 05/02/2022, 09:00 pm

The Queensland Reds have lost their first pre-season trial of 2022, falling 42-33 to a gutsy Western Force outfit who finished strong with 21-unanswered points at Ballymore.

The Reds started slow, going down 21-7 after 20 minutes. However, the Queenslanders didn’t take long to find their groove, with a Josh Nasser double, and tries to Tuaina Taii Tualima, Kalani Thomas and Josh Flook seeing the side take a 33-21 into the final 10-minutes of the game.

Eight players uncapped at Super Rugby level played their first game in Queensland colours, with Spencer Jeans, Tom Lynagh, George Blake, Floyd Aubrey, Kye Oates, Connor Vest, Keynan Tauakipulu and Taj Annan featuring for the Reds

GPS backrower Tualima scored the Reds' first try with a powerful run from the back of the scrum to make it 7-7 early.

After scoring a similar try in his run-on debut against the Highlanders last year, scrumhalf Thomas handed the Reds their second try with deceiving dummy-and-go close to the line.

Following a pinpoint Jeans 50-22 box kick, Flook pounced on a sloppy pass, controlled the loose ball with his foot and regathered to even the scores at 21-all on the stroke of half-time.

Bond University number nine Jeans was involved again in the Reds fourth try, with a nice one-two to Harry Wilson, who gave a lovely pass to Nasser to score under the sticks.

Nasser, in his first game back from an ankle injury, made it two tries in his return with a five-pointer off the back of a rolling maul.

However, tries to Reece Tapine, Andrew Ready and Brad Lacey late in the second-half saw the Force rewarded with a hard-fought 42-33 win.

Queensland head to Roma on Saturday for the Santos Festival of Rugby, where they’ll face the New South Wales Waratahs in their second and final pre-season trial. Tickets available here.
    Queensland kick off their Super Rugby Pacific campaign against the Melbourne Rebels at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday the 19 March - tickets available here.
    Queensland Reds 33

Tries: Nasser 2, Tualima, Thomas, Flook

Conversions: Daugunu 3, Paisami

Western Force 42

Tries: Pulu 2, Strachan, Tapine, Ready, Lacey

Conversions: Prior 3, McGregor 3

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Re: young Noddy. I don't think England junior's effects him. He says he's always dreamed of being a Wallaby. Given how long it's been since anyone really claimed permanent ownership of the gold 10 shirt; let's hope 5/8 nous is hereditary. So far so good.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Re: young Noddy. I don't think England junior's effects him. He says he's always dreamed of being a Wallaby. Given how long it's been since anyone really claimed permanent ownership of the gold 10 shirt; let's hope 5/8 nous is hereditary. So far so good.
    The juice certainly looked worth the squeeze in the short stint he played yesterday.Compared to the other options they tried. I'd be penciling him in as jocs understudy

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    This might be why the reds were missing a few of their stars. I think this is going to be a constant problem for Super rugby this year. Depth is really going to be tested this season.

Reds cop COVID-19 hit on Super Rugby eve

Star playmaker James O'Connor and coach Brad Thorn are in isolation after a second COVID-19 outbreak swept through Queensland Reds camp on the eve of the Super Rugby Pacific season.

Jordan Petaia and Jock Campbell were also missing from Saturday's trial match loss to the Western Force in Brisbane after exhibiting symptoms.

They'll all struggle to feature in next week's last pre-season fixture against the NSW Waratahs in Roma ahead of a February 19 season start.

More than half the squad was missing when pre-season training resumed last month and the latest cases caused havoc to Thorn's plans.

Usually a winger or fullback, Campbell was set start in the No.10 at Ballymore while it was also a chance to experiment with backline sensation Petaia at fullback, where many pundits believe he'll find his feet ahead of the 2023 World Cup.

The Force, who will begin the season based on the east coast because of Western Australia's border limitations, were impressive in a 42-33 win.

Former Reds star Izack Rodda was a looming presence in the first half and winger Toni Pulu scored two early tries.

The Reds hit back with a second-half double to hooker Josh Nasser and led 33-21, before the Force scored the game's last three tries.

Tom Lynagh, the teenage son of former Wallabies great Michael, was confident in his first outing for Queensland since moving from England.

He straightened up the Reds' attack when injected at five-eighth in the second half, involving his backs and kicking with composure in a tantalising performance.

Fringe Wallabies backrowers Fraser McReight and Harry Wilson also looked sharp as they split minutes for the Reds, while former Brumbies playmaker Reesjan Pasitoa was busy in the No.10 for the Force.
    https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-uni...-eve-c-5580471

vCash
    Fringe Wallabies backrowers Fraser McReight and Harry Wilson also looked sharp
    Anyone else think McReight's hit on Pasitoa was late? I was busy with a bottle opener when they replayed that.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Very entertaining and decent quality game given it was the first hit-out for both teams and just a trial. Really liked what I saw from the Force, especially in attack. Our backline looked far more dangerous than it did last year. The injection of a lot of the new, young faces and a new attack coach is looking god. If we can couple that with our defense from last year, we'll be in for a good year.

Was surprised to not see Macdonald in the squad, but Prior looked surprisingly good with much faster service than he tended to provide last year and Fines looked dangerous with his runs, although his service wasn't quite as good as Prior's. Having Pasitoa at 10 running at the line and distributing well was a nice change from the shoveling we saw at 10 last year, and likewise from Macgregor. Pasitoa's kicking game wasn't amazing, but plenty of others in the team with decent boots anyway.
    Kuenzle had some excellent runs and looks like a lock for the 12 jersey. Kyle was his usual solid self. All of our wing options played well, although Mataele had a bit of a case of the butter fingers. Pulu was outstanding and Lacey surprisingly good. It should be another area of strength this year.
    15 is a bit of an area of concern, but Strachan played well there and scored a great solo try when there wasn't too much on.

Forwards al but in a good shift. Like the look of a bulked up Anstee at 8 and would love to see Ollie Callan get lots of minutes this year - he looks like a real gun. Tough to squeeze him in though when you've got FLW, Koteka and Anstee as a very solid starting backrow. I was a little underwhelmed by Macauley, with hopes of some major improvements after his stint up north. Will hopefully start with Rodda and Timani or Thrush in the season proper.
    As usual, the scrum was solid and turns into a weapon when the evergreen Holmes comes on. He was looking in great shape given his age!

Would've liked to see a few of the newer guys given some more minutes, but I guess Sambo wanted to give the main 23 as many minutes as possible since we don't have any other trial games. Most looked good though, and I particularly liked the look of Poolman, Luke Callan and Jackson Pugh.
    Was also rather impressed by the commentary and coverage provided by the Reds, as well as the refereering.

So great to have rugby back and can't wait for the beginning of the season!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    I think that's Louis Lynagh (older brother) who is in the England squad. Tom has decided to make himself eligible for Australia. There is a third son, Nicolo, and he could play for Italy (via mother) and really confuse everyone!
    Shame they aren’t all playing here we could have pour on version of the Barrett bros.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Interesting re McAuley. I thought he acquitted himself quite well and really only needs another year or two in the gym. I'd be happy for him to play in games where we don't need monsteoudls locks, but both thrush and timani provide the power needed so I' don't think its going to be a problem.

Funny, I spent most of the first half wondering whether Tim was still too light to play 8, then the Reds took that freaking giant off and replaced him with Harry Wilson and I calmed down a bit.

Stander in 6 next to anstee in 8 finally convinced me.
    For every second he was on the field Tim was grinning like an idiot, he looks like he can't believe that he's getting paid to play rugby

C'mon the

vCash
    Macauley wasn't bad, just didn't see much impact from him. Would almost prefer Pugh on the bench to cover lock and the backrow. He looks to have plenty of potential.

Anstee definitely a bit on the light side for an 8, but we unfortunately don't seem to have that big bopper in our squad it seems. Tim is a damaging runner though and also good in the rucks - will only get better the more time he spends in the 8 jersey and the 15s game.

vCash
    https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...-eve-c-5597024

Some bad news,

Paisami has tested positive to the Kung Flu after playing in the trial. I hope this doesn't impact the team as badly as it seems to be hammering the Reds.

C'mon the

vCash
    Geerob has tweeted that Tim Sampson has confirmed that so far all clear for the Force contingent.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Geerob has tweeted that Tim Sampson has confirmed that so far all clear for the Force contingent.
    Would it take a couple of days to be sure?

C'mon the

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast