Thread: Looks like we may have home games this year

vCash

Looks like we may have home games this year

YAH

Nick Taylor reporting in the West:

Frustrated WA sports teams are on the verge of a breakthrough that will finally see them play in front of their home fans.

New State Government rules easing border restrictions will allow sides to fly in and fly out of Perth amid tight hub restrictions. The terms of those restrictions are yet to be outlined in full.

West Coast and Fremantle’s AFLW sides are set to return to Perth next week after a month on the road and are expected to host three weeks of double-headers against interstate sides at Optus Stadium.

The Perth Lynx will return home on February 13 and are awaiting news on the remainder of their fixture, while the Perth Wildcats’ fixture has them remaining on the east coast until at least February 28.

But while the concessions for the WA teams to play games at home will come as some relief, it doesn’t mean they will necessarily be sleeping in their own beds.

Teams like Perth Glory and Western Force, who are already interstate, may still have to base themselves on the east coast and become fly-in, fly-out clubs for home games in order to complete their seasons.

It is understood clubs have been waiting five days for official confirmation of the changes to border regulations.

Western Force chief executive Tony Lewis said the move meant the Super Rugby Pacific round three clash with Queensland Reds will be played at HBF Park. But both the Force and Reds will be “in-transit” sides.

“Our players will fly-in and fly-out otherwise they will have to go into 14 days isolation,” Lewis said.

“Our team will be based over east and fly-in, fly-out until they open the borders. We’ve had a verbal agreement from the Government but no documentation.”

Perth Glory has both their men’s and women’s side stranded in Sydney and chief executive Tony Pignata said the move was “promising”.

”We are in discussions with the government and VenuesWest about us returning,” Pignata said.

“We are waiting for the sign-off by WA Police on the new regulations. Once we have those regulations we’ll see what it means to us because we have still got away games.”

Pignata said they needed assurances the side could train and play while in isolation.

“If we do come home it means we have got to do two weeks in quarantine,” he said.

“We could likely train in a bubble at HBF Park. It’s not ideal but we’ve done it before.

“My understanding is we will be allowed into the State but until we have written approval it’s very hard to make any decisions.

“It also needs to be commercially viable with crowds, but it is promising.”

The Lynx have been in Victoria since December and have more than half of the team combining playing with working and studying full-time.

Perth will play Melbourne on Sunday and Bendigo on February 12 before flying home.

They are currently scheduled to play in Victoria on February 19 and 20, but those matches will be re-scheduled.

“We’re working with the WNBL, Basketball Australia and the WA government to work through what will happen from here,” Lynx General Manager Brent Dawkins said.

“I’ve got a meeting with the league on Tuesday.

“Being away from family and friends made it important for the players to be back in WA.”

The NBL released further fixtures on Friday morning which will see the Perth Wildcats remain interstate until at least February 28.

Wildcats coach Scott Morrison said the schedule release surprised the team.

“It was a little bit disappointing to see that schedule because we had heard the rumours that maybe something was going to be worked out or maybe we’d be able to play a home game at some point in time,” he said.

“Getting that schedule maybe confused some of the guys as to what is really going on.”

Read More

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Taylor View Post
    Frustrated WA sports teams are on the verge of a breakthrough that will finally see them play in front of their home fans.
    Whilst some teams have been on the road and that's unfortunate, it's a bit of a trash intro to the article given most of the WA sides haven't missed any home games yet.

Pretty sure the Glory and the Wildcats have actually played home games.

Last edited by jargan83; 04-02-22 at 15:46.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Please forgive my ignorance but who in the blue hell is the Perth Lynx?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Womans Basket ball team, currently top of the table

Table

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    I just received an email from West Coast stating that West Coast ALFW team is playing at Lathlain Oval this weekend against Collingwood in a "Quarantine match" with ticketing arrangements to follow.

I assume there has been some movement around a possible bubble type situation for sports teams?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I just received an email from West Coast stating that West Coast ALFW team is playing at Lathlain Oval this weekend against Collingwood in a "Quarantine match" with ticketing arrangements to follow.

I assume there has been some movement around a possible bubble type situation for sports teams?
    I did note in GAGR's rugby news some suggestion that the Force will be playing home games in a bubble situation whilst they're accommodated on the east coast, so flying in the same as the visiting team.

I haven't seen any official announcement yet, but this is something Tony Lewis mentioned suggesting a week or two ago and it makes sense.

On the other hand, with the psycho rules-on-the-run mode that we're in at the moment there's no guarantees on anything (waiting for them to get blanket approval for this only to be told that it can't happen after boarding the plane)

C'mon the

vCash
    Looks like we have a home game in round three

The Western Force have received a major boost, cleared to play their round three match against the Queensland Reds in front of home fans at HBF Park.

Read more

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    and confirmed by the Force

The Western Force is thrilled to confirm that the Round 3 clash with the Queensland Reds will be played live in Perth at HBF Park on Friday, 4 March.

Having worked closely with the Western Australian Department of Sport and Department of Health, as well as the Western Australian police and Rugby Australia in recent weeks, the club is delighted to secure a first home match of the season for Members and fans.

TICKETS: Tickets will be available via Ticketmaster from 9am on Monday, 21 February
    Chief executive officer Tony Lewis was quick to acknowledge the efforts of everyone involved in discussions.

“This is a massive moment for our loyal Members who have waited patiently for this news,” Lewis explained. “I’d like to thank David Templeman the Minister for Culture and the Arts; Sport and Recreation and his team for their willingness to listen and work towards a fantastic outcome for WA. “We are so excited to bring live sport back to town in what promises to be another blockbuster clash in our growing rivalry with the Reds.

“I urge all sports fans in WA to get behind the Force and enjoy world class rugby and entertainment in the flesh once again.”

Following last year’s epic encounter with the Reds, which saw the Force claim a thrilling 30-27 win to secure a finals berth in front of a packed HBF Park crowd, the stage is now set for another memorable blockbuster.

Super Rugby Pacific Round 3 Western Force vs Queensland Reds Friday, March 4 7:00pm kick-off HBF Park

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    On the other hand, with the psycho rules-on-the-run mode that we're in at the moment there's no guarantees on anything (waiting for them to get blanket approval for this only to be told that it can't happen after boarding the plane)
    So at the moment the border was opened with restrictions, just a couple of days late, after due consideration of the different conditions pertaining to Omicron. The results so far are roughly 17,500 people have entered. So far the vast majority of those testing positive (around 150+ IIRC) have been in isolation so will be pretty much contained allowing us to go about our business with a bit of confidence including going to HBF, if vaxed.

I said earlier I'd be critical of the govt if they didn't consider measures to allow pro sports to go ahead, considering the low risk in an ever increasing risk environment. Seems they did that. If that's psycho, I'm happy to stay in the Emperor's asylum.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    So at the moment the border was opened with restrictions, just a couple of days late, after due consideration of the different conditions pertaining to Omicron. The results so far are roughly 17,500 people have entered. So far the vast majority of those testing positive (around 150+ IIRC) have been in isolation so will be pretty much contained allowing us to go about our business with a bit of confidence including going to HBF, if vaxed.

I said earlier I'd be critical of the govt if they didn't consider measures to allow pro sports to go ahead, considering the low risk in an ever increasing risk environment. Seems they did that. If that's psycho, I'm happy to stay in the Emperor's asylum.
    Yes, I do believe Mark has found the right balance between opening the floodgates and still letting people in who need to see their family/return home as well as allowing sport teams to play home games. I think the fly-in/fly arrangement and the 7 days quarantine is a good happy medium

vCash
    We have even just made the 6ix news bulletin with the Reds home game getting a mention.

Maybe part of the the opening entertainment can be a David Templeman rendition of Hullelujah .......

David Templeman 2020 close of parliament

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    We have even just made the 6ix news bulletin with the Reds home game getting a mention.

Maybe part of the the opening entertainment can be a David Templeman rendition of Hullelujah .......

David Templeman 2020 close of parliament
    Or Roger Cook singing Hit the Road Jack?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David