Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The season's about to start

vCash

Talking The season's about to start

The Reds trial is scheduled for tomorrow and the Force have posted that they're flying out to play the game, so that means Super Rugby action is just around the corner.

It's time to shake off the malaise of rugby post-season/pre-season and start talking shit about the team based upon nothing other than meagre personal opinion.

Here's GIGS' method of starting the conversation/argument/lament

I'm going to post my prediction of the starting team for tomorrows trial with explanations of why I think it'll go this way. Since it's a trial and we have virtually no form guide for anybody in the squad, there's no right or wrong answer. Added to that, we don't have any idea what Sambo is planning to do with the trial so it's really a free shot with no right or wrong answers.

I reckon this trial should be used to bed in new combinations under combative match conditions and have a look at a couple of questionable positions where there isn't a clear choice for a player to fill the spot.

Starting with the engine room, I think the roles are pretty settled with 4 spots in the tight 5 pretty solidly locked away (Robinson, Kaitu'u, Medrano, Rodda) Since they have 7 internationals in that group (actually Andrew Ready might have picked up a gold jersey to? that's make it 8) it's going to be a hard pick to fill those gaps, but one thing I think would be needed is for the 2021 Wallabies to get some game time and cohesion under their belts. Kaitu'u and Robertson didn't do a lot more than carry tackle bags in the Autumn tour and Rodda will probably play the first two rounds with his teammates' names on tape around his wrist, so I'd name the tight 5 who I'm planning to start the first game with in the trial and give them a good 20-30 minutes of opposed practice, making sure we see plenty of scrums and lineouts. so that makes a tight 5 of

1 Robertson
    2 Kaitu'u (c)
    3 Medrano
    4 Timani (maybe Thrush)
    5 Rodda

Thrush would get the nod if Rodda is being saved from the responsibility of calling the lineout, longer term I see Rodda playing tighthead lock and calling the lineout with Timani playing loosehead and somebody like McAuley as succession planning.

The backrow is a lot more interesting, with some young blokes really pushing for starts and some established campaigners who are pretty much locked in. The Force team page has only named 4 backrowers (Anstee, Callan, Koteka and Stander) but I'm pretty confident that Fergus will spend a lot more time at 6 than as a lock. Out of those, Kane is the only recognised fetcher and having somebody play that role is essential to good rugby IMHO. the only other option is to go massive at every opportunity and the Force don't look to be able to do truly massive in the back row (better with Fergus in there, but there'll still be somebody a bit lighter)
    I reckon Sambo should be looking for his future 7 and 8 and what better time to start than a trial match. Kane and Brynard would be pretty confident that 7 & 8 are theirs (with good reason) but Brynard was starting to show the effects of his age and his bull-at-a-gate style last year, playing through a lot of niggles. for that reason, I'd give both Ollie and Tim the challenge of unseating the incumbent and start both of them, with a swap back and forth as the trial continues. Ollie made a good fist of 8 against the Crusaders and Tim, originally from sevens isn't scared of playing the ball, so I'd go that way, with a plan to swap them after about 15 minutes and then bring on Kane and Brynard at two separate times to see which combination is the winner. That really only leaves Fergus and possibly Sita to hold down 6, so I'd play Fergus

6 Lee-Warner
    7 Anstee
    8 Callan

Now we come to 9 and what a quandry! Do we play the lightning fast, clever and aggressive 9 in Isaac (Sideshow Bob) Fines Leleiwasa, do we play the dependable, but possibly in his last season Ian Prior (and get a kicking option) or the live wire locally-developed Irish lad in Little Mickey McDonald? I mean any one of them could line up in the trial and the instruction would likely be exactly the same "use your time to convince me that nobody else deserves the jersey". Ian Prior brings a steadiness and calmness to the team that absolutely CANNOT be discounted, EVERYBODY looked better when he was on the field last year. But this is a trial and results don't matter so I believe this will be time to see the other two show what they've got and I reckon Sambo might start with Fines, because the jersey SHOULD be his to lose, it just really isn't at the moment, Prior is too good for the team

9 Fines Leleiwsa

Another conundrum is what do we do with the 10-12? Interestingly Bayley Kuenzle has been listed as a Centre on the Force website, so they might not be looking at the Brumbies reserve Flyhalf to play Flyhalf, that's going to make things interesting! Another interesting move is that they've listed McIntyre, McGregor, Strachan and Pasitoa as both Flyhalves AND fullbacks, so I guess we know how they're planning to use the 15. I'd suggest, in that list, based upon what happened last year that Starchan and McGregor are being considered more Fullbacks which leaves Pasitoa and McIntyre as the preference for Flyhalf. Since McIntyre didn't do enough to keep the jersey away from Miotti, I'd reckon he might be on the outer and the opportunity exists for Pasitoa to take the reins. If that's the way they're looking for round 1, you'd be insane not to start him there in the trial.

10 Pasitoa

In 12 We've got a choice between Godwin, Kahui, Kuenzle and Makara. I'd suggest that (like Thrush) Kahui is there as a stop gap for if other plans don't work out and Makara is being developed, not choice 1. Therefore 12 & 13 might seem like an easy pick but there's always the possibility that Mataele could play 13 and since there is some pretty tasty highlight footage of him doing just that in New Zealand I wouldn't be surprised to see him slot in there at some point during the trial. I reckon Godwin is a better 12 than 13 and Mark Ozich is a Kiwi so he'd like a ball player like Kuenzle in 12 so it's a bit of a lottery to pick the centres, I'm predicting the Attack coach to put his foot down and they'll start with

12 Kuenzle
    13 Godwin

As for the outside backs, well, McGregor and Strachan will likely be fighting it out for the Fullback Jersey and I don't think there's a lot between them, I think Strachan is taller (I just Googled it, only 3cm, but it looks like more) but Jack seems to have better footwork so you could go either way. I think who gets the start in the trial will be told that the jersey is theirs to lose and the other one will come on about halfway through and try to take the jersey away. The decision will be based upon training form and the two have probably been staring daggers at each other since November. I'm getting the coin out and the coin says

Strachan (literally tossed a coin over that one)

As for the wings, I haven't put Mataele into 13 so he'd need to take a wing, Probably 14, but with a roving commission which leaves a spot for Ala, Lacey. Pulu, Ralston or Tapine in 11, MY GOD what an embarrassment of riches! Given that Pulu, Ralston and Lacey are known quantities I'd try one of the new boys in 11 first. For no reason other than coming from the Brumbies and therefore some cohesion with the others out of that program into the squad I'd try Tapine first, but this would have to be qualified by lots of swapping about for the whole match

11 Tapine
    14 Mataele
    15 Strachan

THe game should be used to answer questions like Should Mataele play 13 meaning we could put Pulu and Ralston on the wings (If Pulu can stay fit that would be a devastating combination) Should McGregor play Fullback or is he the Super-Sub? Is Kuenzle a better 12 than Godwin? Is Fergus a lock or a 6? Do we need to rely on the quality of Thrush and Kahui or can we transition them into a coaching role? Who is our best reserve Tighthead Prop? Can we cover 7 if Kane doesn't play? Is Brynard our best option at 8 given that he's beaten himself to a pulp or can we use the next year (or two) to find a replacement.

Isn't it exciting to be preparing for a new season.

My predicted team
    1 Robinson
    2 Kaitu'u
    3 Medrano
    4 Timani
    5 Rodda
    6 Lee-Warner
    7 Anstee
    8 Callan
    9 Fines Leleiwasa
    10 Pasitoa
    11 Tapine
    12 Kuenzle
    13 Godwin
    14 Mataele
    15 Strachan

Reserves
    Absolutely everybody else

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Well covered, and good selections.

From the two hit outs I have seen I would only change the following:

Daniel Alla for me seems to be a standout so far electric pace and a big body, I would slot him in at 11.

Godwin is vice captain and has had a run at 13 in both matches so I assume he is lock in there.

In the trials it appears that Anstee is going to be at 8, so would probably switch 7 and 8.

I also think McCauley may start rather than Timani.

In the trials McGregor seemed to have the inside running for full back so that would be the final change.

I suspect that Thrush, Timane, Kahui, Pulu, Holmes and Stander's work loads will be managed.

That said we will not show our full deck of cards tomorrow so likley to be lot of the younger chaps getting early runs.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Someone said that Tony Lewis had said Holmes, Thrush & Kahui will be allowed to play and not worry too much about coaching this year (possibly because we've done well recruiting new coaches!) although I have heard that Kahui is mucking in with coaching at Baysie anyway.

One player not mentioned above is Jackson Pugh. He gets listed as a lock, but I think he's a bit short (he's quoted as only being 1.94 m) so I think he and Fergus will be spending time with the back-row.

Agree about the trial being used for an many combinations as possible (is there another trial match planned?) but our first match is the Brumbies, who always seem to have the edge on us, so we ought to have the proposed 1st XV starting and playing for at least the first 40 to try and hit the ground running in a fortnight.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Well covered, and good selections.

From the two hit outs I have seen I would only change the following:

Daniel Alla for me seems to be a standout so far electric pace and a big body, I would slot him in at 11.
    Fair. I haven't seen a lot of them this season as I was busy on fan day, Picking Ala ahead of Tapine wouldn't be much of a change from where I was thinking

Godwin is vice captain and has had a run at 13 in both matches so I assume he is lock in there.
    I mean that would make sense, but my thinking for the backline was more around trying the things that are a little unconventional and risky as opposed to the safe bet that you'd be making in round 1. That was where the suggestion of putting Godwin and Mataele into the centres came from. Imagine that pair defending the middle of the line and crashing ball like demons for the whole game. Yes you'd need heaps of speed outside them, but by the sounds of things we have that in Ralston, Pulu, Ala and Tapine. I'd still like to see it trialed at some point before we risk competition points on the idea.

In the trials it appears that Anstee is going to be at 8, so would probably switch 7 and 8.
    Well somebody needs to, I went with Callan because he's had some experience at 8, but it's just as good a call to put him in 7, coz Tim might be a bit light.

I also think McCauley may start rather than Timani.
    That's a pretty big call to put him in front of a Wallaby tourist. I know I'm advocating for the trial to have some experimentation and therefore see some experienced incumbents lose their place and have to fight to keep it (Ian Prior) I'm not sure that Timani has his position locked down and I would think that McAuley, Pugh and Timani are fighting for one start and one bench spot. Thrush may or may not be in that mix.

We could easily see Thrush and Rodda take the lion's share of the minutes in the trial and use the time to build a good working relationship. That would be a definite indication of what's going to happen week one (prolly also will mean that they aren't scared to tell everybody exactly what their plans are in the locks---with Thrush and Rodda, that might actually be the case, here you go boys, come at us!)

In the trials McGregor seemed to have the inside running for full back so that would be the final change.
    OK that's a change from last year. Strachan took over a bit the last couple of games. I like Jack, he has plenty of skills and is passionate and exciting. I have no problem with him being the front runner and the others chasing.

I suspect that Thrush, Timane, Kahui, Pulu, Holmes and Stander's work loads will be managed.
    Agreed, one of the reasons for many of the selections I made (mindful that it's a trial and the starter tomorrow might not see the bench in round 1)

That said we will not show our full deck of cards tomorrow so likley to be lot of the younger chaps getting early runs.
    I'd really like to see some cards, though even if it's a Joker, a Smartrider and a McDonalds Monopoly coupon

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Fair. I haven't seen a lot of them this season as I was busy on fan day, Picking Ala ahead of Tapine wouldn't be much of a change from where I was thinking

I mean that would make sense, but my thinking for the backline was more around trying the things that are a little unconventional and risky as opposed to the safe bet that you'd be making in round 1. That was where the suggestion of putting Godwin and Mataele into the centres came from. Imagine that pair defending the middle of the line and crashing ball like demons for the whole game. Yes you'd need heaps of speed outside them, but by the sounds of things we have that in Ralston, Pulu, Ala and Tapine. I'd still like to see it trialed at some point before we risk competition points on the idea.

Well somebody needs to, I went with Callan because he's had some experience at 8, but it's just as good a call to put him in 7, coz Tim might be a bit light.

That's a pretty big call to put him in front of a Wallaby tourist. I know I'm advocating for the trial to have some experimentation and therefore see some experienced incumbents lose their place and have to fight to keep it (Ian Prior) I'm not sure that Timani has his position locked down and I would think that McAuley, Pugh and Timani are fighting for one start and one bench spot. Thrush may or may not be in that mix.

We could easily see Thrush and Rodda take the lion's share of the minutes in the trial and use the time to build a good working relationship. That would be a definite indication of what's going to happen week one (prolly also will mean that they aren't scared to tell everybody exactly what their plans are in the locks---with Thrush and Rodda, that might actually be the case, here you go boys, come at us!)

OK that's a change from last year. Strachan took over a bit the last couple of games. I like Jack, he has plenty of skills and is passionate and exciting. I have no problem with him being the front runner and the others chasing.

Agreed, one of the reasons for many of the selections I made (mindful that it's a trial and the starter tomorrow might not see the bench in round 1)

I'd really like to see some cards, though even if it's a Joker, a Smartrider and a McDonalds Monopoly coupon

Also agree with Tazz's comments after watching recent trial.

Haven't seen much of Tapine but Ala is very good. Him and Mataele on the wings gives us 2 class finishers.

Makara is a 13 not a 12. In the second half he played 13 and killed it so would like to see him used off the bench. McGregor also went to 10 which was interesting so he might be used as the utility player or will start at 15 with option to move to 10. From what I could tell, for part of the game anyway Stander played at 6 with Anstee 8 and Callan played 7.

Anyway pretty excited about all these young players coming through, some of them are going to take it to the next level and time to give them a go.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Anyone know kick-off time? Stream available from the Reds website.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    3 pm WST Link will be on reds facebook I believe

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Squad for Tommorrow:

Name:  FKvMy1zXEAENG5x.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  87.5 KB

vCash
    Nice mix squad great to see Poolman joining the backs as I liked what I saw last week, and Sifa Amone looks like a decent size young prop.

Pulu's first run so will probably just be a few minutes.

Great to see both Luke and Ollie Callan listed

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    Makara is a 13 not a 12. In the second half he played 13 and killed it so would like to see him used off the bench.
    That's probably not good news for him. Kyle isn't likely to miss a bunch of time and listing kuenzle as a centre indicates some desire to have a ballplayer at 12. So Grayson might struggle for minutes which will be a bad thing
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    McGregor also went to 10 which was interesting so he might be used as the utility player or will start at 15 with option to move to 10. From what I could tell, for part of the game anyway Stander played at 6 with Anstee 8 and Callan played 7.
    I must say, I really like Jack McGregor, he's a bit of a live wire and doesn't seem keen to shirk the hard work, but he's not been consistently used at either 10 or 15, so I guess the coaches are seeing something I aren't. Maybe the coaches are clever enought to know to use him in small doses and it works because he seems to have a packed highlight reel.I'm fairly confident we'll see all the 10s get some time running the backline and the best one will be groomed for round 1. The interesting watch will be to see if somebody doesn't get a go at 10 but plays a bunch at 15. That will provide some clues there.Thanks for posting 5he start time, I was having trouble finding it

C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    to be honest, an attempt to pick a side for a Trial Match is a one-way ticket to nowhere.

A trial match is a final look for combinations whether it be in the forward pack or the backline.

Predicting the winner is an exercise in futility. Tho - looking for the first team that attempts Penalty kicks would probably tell you who wants the win for the sake of winnings sake.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    to be honest, an attempt to pick a side for a Trial Match is a one-way ticket to nowhere.
    Maybe, but it's refreshing to see members back discussing selections etc again amid all the crap going on over Omicron.
    Gotta admit I was intrigued to see GIGS' leap of faith in selecting a pretty much untried Mungo in his starting side.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Tapine?

Didn't we sign him from the Brumbies?

Btw thanks for the support Shasta, I was also thinking 5hat it's time to start sharing ignorances about the relative strength of certain players, not attempting to genuinely pick the starting 15.

It was fun and I've enjoyed the conversation since. So it had the desired effect.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Tapine?

Didn't we sign him from the Brumbies?
    Yep. AFAIK he didn't get game time. They recruited him from Burleigh Bears. He tried his hand at Rugby in Brisbane after bastard Covid torpedoed the Q Cup. Must have done enough to impress the Ponies.
    When the Force signed him I had a squizz at a couple of clips of him on the QRL site. I think he might be a keeper if he's developed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Yep. AFAIK he didn't get game time. They recruited him from Burleigh Bears. He tried his hand at Rugby in Brisbane after bastard Covid torpedoed the Q Cup. Must have done enough to impress the Ponies. When the Force signed him I had a squizz at a couple of clips of him on the QRL site. I think he might be a keeper if he's developed.
    Bugger Im going to have to find somebody else to put on the wing then I guess that means Byron Ralston is he pure?

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast