Thread: NZ border call sparks concerns over Super Rugby, NBL, A-League seasons

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

NZ border call sparks concerns over Super Rugby, NBL, A-League seasons

Ben McKay The Roar

Sporting codes on both sides of the Tasman have been wrong-footed by the New Zealand government’s decision to bar Australians and foreigners well into 2022.
    The Super Rugby Pacific fixture faces an overhaul, while the NBL’s New Zealand Breakers and A-Leagues’ two Wellington Phoenix teams face another all-Australia campaign.

On Wednesday, Jacinda Ardern’s government released a long-awaited timetable to dismantle its hard border and quarantine on arrival.

From January 17, Kiwis in Australia will be able to skip quarantine in favour of self-isolation.

From April 30, Australians and other foreigners will be able to the same.

However, the seven-day self-isolation requirement remains – even for NZ citizens – rendering many sporting competitions unworkable.

The changes also mean the women’s ODI Cricket World Cup, staged in March, will be off-limits to foreign fans.

The government is not planning exemptions for sporting teams until there is health advice to support it.

Deputy Prime Minister and Sport Minister Grant Robertson said the government’s commitment to a seven-day isolation period was firm.

“Of course I want the Super Rugby competition to take place but we’re always led by the health advice,” he said.

“The ministry of health’s advice consistently has been not to have shortened isolation time.

“So if sports teams are going to be using (self-isolation) it will be the same length of time.”

A Rugby NZ spokesman said the organisation was “digesting” the changes, while a Phoenix spokesman struck an optimistic note.

“The Phoenix are looking at what today’s government announcement means for the club getting its men’s and women’s teams back home,” the spokesman said.

“The Phoenix are one of a number of teams/sports that are talking to Sport New Zealand about border restrictions and remain hopeful of playing in New Zealand this season.”

The decision won’t affect the Warriors, who have already committed to spending the 2022 NRL campaign in Australia to avoid any uncertainty.

© AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    There's almost 3 months before kick-off. More than long enough to re-organize into 2 conferences of 6 teams, if necessary. You only need to absorb what's happening in Europe to see this is still Covid normal.

On the bright side, 9/Stan seem chuffed with 2020's comp.

Last edited by shasta; 24-11-21 at 17:32.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    this could easily end up as another clusterfuck

vCash
    So I read this in an ABC article about the NZ Border that was published today

Mr Hipkins has outlined a staged reopening of international borders, with foreign travellers who are fully vaccinated against COVID able to enter the country from April 30.

Fully vaccinated New Zealanders and other eligible travellers from all other countries could start travelling to New Zealand without quarantine from February 13, Mr Hipkins said.
    https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp....icle/100646238

What counts as an eligible traveler that can enter from February 13?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    What counts as an eligible traveler that can enter from February 13?
    Guaranteed to be based upon some arbitrary list generated by the government and published under the guise of medical advice.NZ govt haven't been particularly concerned about losing sporting events so far, so it'll E interesting to see if the medical advice is different. I would say it's linked to how many people will vote them out if she cancels the fixtures

C'mon the

vCash
    I really don't get why the government is faffing around with this. Scotty could simply lower the shields long enough to beam them all home. It's well known that Omicron Particles are neutralised while the matter stream is in the Transporter Buffer.......I'll see myself out.

COVID chaos as Wallabies test positive and Super Rugby under a cloud...............

.................Under the three-stage reopening plans set out last week, visiting teams would face a seven-day isolation period for the forseeable future, making weekly fixtures impossible.

If the draw had to be reworked to group Australian and New Zealand derbies together, Fiji’s Drua would play on the Australian side of the competition and Moana Pasifika on the New Zealand side. The results would feed into an overall competition table, unlike this year’s season, which crowned champions on both sides.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I really don't get why the government is faffing around with this. Scotty could simply lower the shields long enough to beam them all home. It's well known that Omicron Particles are neutralised while the matter stream is in the Transporter Buffer.......I'll see myself out.

COVID chaos as Wallabies test positive and Super Rugby under a cloud...............

.................Under the three-stage reopening plans set out last week, visiting teams would face a seven-day isolation period for the forseeable future, making weekly fixtures impossible.

If the draw had to be reworked to group Australian and New Zealand derbies together, Fiji’s Drua would play on the Australian side of the competition and Moana Pasifika on the New Zealand side. The results would feed into an overall competition table, unlike this year’s season, which crowned champions on both sides.
    That would have certain people in NZ Rugby crying foul, because the Australian side of the competition is 'easier'.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    That would have certain people in NZ Rugby crying foul, because the Australian side of the competition is 'easier'.
    To be fair, last season did a pretty good job of proving them correct.On the other hand, fuck em. NZRU have been guilty of fucking every other union in the world over in recent history, so I don't really care what they think

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    NZ postpones border re-opening - cutting off NZ Citizens from returning temporarily

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...d-omicron-risk