Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Spring Tour 2021

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    The reason for my question. And, If Ollie is a West Australian born and bred Rugby player. We really should be celebrating his selection to the Wallabies.

Yes - I get that not everyone is loving the Wallabies, and yes there is the residual 2017 Thing.

But, despite all of the above. Western Australia has produced another Wallaby.

I, for one - am super proud of that.

I hope he has a great game. Grabs this opportunity with both hands and has a long and productive representative career.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I thought the comments indicated that we all ARE celebrating the fact that he's finally achieved the dream that caused his mum to be so instrumental in the birth of the force.

Yes, fate has conspired to force the selectors to pick him when they otherwise wouldn't, but we have to accept that and simply hope that this product of our pathway tears it up on his debut.

It won't change the selection policy, but it might build a pathway for ollie to gain more caps, which will be a good thing.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Well, some good(?) news is that both England's usual looseheads, Marler and Genge have tested positive for Covid and the replacements, Trevor Davison and Bevan Rodd, have a total of 1 cap between them.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    The reason for my question. And, If Ollie is a West Australian born and bred Rugby player. We really should be celebrating his selection to the Wallabies.

Yes - I get that not everyone is loving the Wallabies, and yes there is the residual 2017 Thing.
    I think you've misread the room again. I don't think anyone is "not loving" the Wallabies and most, me included, dropped off for a while due to opting not to support the ARU financially in any form at all.

I'm cautiously back tracking from that, but still don't see a reason to blindly trust RA - yet.

Thirdly, what difference does it make where Hoskins was born?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Well, some good(?) news is that both England's usual looseheads, Marler and Genge have tested positive for Covid and the replacements, Trevor Davison and Bevan Rodd, have a total of 1 cap between them.
    Bad news, the soap dodgers have a queue of fat ugly men a mile longYes it'll be easier, but England going to their third choice tighthead is like New Zealand using their 3rd choice flyhalf.

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Bad news, the soap dodgers have a queue of fat ugly men a mile longYes it'll be easier, but England going to their third choice tighthead is like New Zealand using their 3rd choice flyhalf.
    .......maybe. But Hoskins could be one of them via his Mum & Dad. But being a good Perth Boy he has chosen not to be an ugly, fat bastard. .

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    That is one proud dad! Well done Ollie and the whole Hoskins family!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Champion
    vCash
    Emotional ‘scrum mum’ Jennifer Hoskins living son Ollie’s dream as he gets shock Wallabies call-up
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Fri, 12 November 2021 7:39PM

When “scrum mum” Jennifer Hoskins helped organise the 2004 rally that won the battle for a Super Rugby side in Perth, never did she dream she would be watching her son making a shock debut for the Wallabies.
    But on Saturday night tighthead prop Ollie, a Scotch College pupil who played for Cottesloe in the RugbyWA competition and had 26 games for the Force from 2014-16 before moving to London Irish, will make his debut against England at Twickenham.
    On Sunday evening the son of English parents who dreamt of playing for Australia was told might be needed to join the injury-hit Wallabies who had lost Taniela Tupou and Allan Alaalatoa.
    The following morning he was on his way to training.
    When he makes his appearance from the bench he will become the fourth WA-born Wallaby.
    Mum Jennifer is in England with her sick mother while dad Nick has made a dash from Kuala Lumper and will arrive just hours before kick-off.
    “It was about 11pm when Ollie called. When you get a callThe West Australian that late you think: ‘Oh my God, what’s gone wrong,’” Jennifer said.
    “He said not to say anything because it wasn’t confirmed and then he rang the next day and said ‘I’m in’ and that was that.
    “It’s awesome, the little Perth boy has made it. He’s not so little any more at 128kgs but he’ll always be my little boy.
    “I’ve watched the video when he was named and cries. It makes you go to pieces. It’s overwhelming.
    “Nick has gone completely insane with excitement.
    “The phone has gone crazy. I can’t tell you how many messages of love and support we have had.
    “Ollie would never have expected it because he’s been gone so long from Australian rugby.
    “He has worked so hard. to make this happen. This might sound like chance or happenstance but its not.
    “Ollie got that call because he has put in years and years of dedication.
    “He had a rough time at the Force and was absolutely devastated when he was told he wasn’t wanted.
    “The Rebels were interested but he didn’t want to play for another Super franchise.”
    Family rugby loyalties have previously been torn in the Hoskins family - but not for this game.
    “I have always supported the Wallabies,” said Jennifer.
    “Nick’s an avid England supporter but he will be screaming for the Wallabies I promise you.
    “Who would ever have thought that a couple of mums (with her friend Irma Cooper) who had six rugby mad boys and said let’s have some fun and have a rally could have led to this.”

vCash

“Ollie got that call because he has put in years and years of dedication.
    “He had a rough time at the Force and was absolutely devastated when he was told he wasn’t wanted.
    “The Rebels were interested but he didn’t want to play for another Super franchise.”
    How good. Also gives a little clarity to talk of player loyalty. Not much place for it in a professional sport. And it's not a level playing field for players.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Did the Force not want him or was it due to us being cut?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Did the Force not want him or was it due to us being cut?
    I think it was the Force being cut

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I think it was the Force being cut
    Ah thanks! Hope he goes well this evening and enjoys it.

Champion
    vCash
    No he wasn't wanted by Foley from what I remember. I don't think he played at all in his last season

vCash
    Yeah, he went up to London Irish after the 2016 season, in which he didn't play at all, I think.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    No he wasn't wanted by Foley from what I remember. I don't think he played at all in his last season
    Ollie earned a number of caps from off the bench in 2014 and 2015.

In 2016, the 23yo was up against some stiff competition at the Western Force.

Props in the squad in 2016 were:
    + Jermaine Ainsley
    + Pek Cowan
    + Tetera Faulkner
    + Chris Heiberg
    + Guy Millar
    + Francois van Wyk
    Francois and Faulkner opened the season with 6 weeks of injury.
    I've a feeling that Ollie may have also suffered an injury - but can't remember.

In 2017, Guy Millar was replaced by Ben Daley and Shambeckler Vui was added to the squad.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast