Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Spring Tour 2021

vCash
    If they do finally pick Tom Robinson to cover Angus bell, at least it'll pove me right or wrong.

I would expect Tommy to singlehandedly turn the scrum around from rollerskates with bell at lhp.

He IS the only Australian prop who handled Tupou in stay.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Our lads are on the front row bench for this weekend's encounter.

Name:  2022 AUS v ENG.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  77.6 KB

Exciting potential test debut for Ollie!

+ Izack consistently starting.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    And the dream debut is one step closer for Ollie.

What a story for the Hoskins family that started I believe with two mums talking in a kitchen in Perth 17 years ago........

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Really amazing that Ollie is likely going to earn a cap, and great to see Robbo getting a chance in his correct position! Rodda is really looking good now and very much looking forward to seeing him in blue next year.

However, I'm not a fan at all of some of those selections and think England will run away with this one. KB should be nowhere near the team and I would've thought his performance last week made that abundantly clear. Somehow he's been selected to start at 15 though?!

Arnold was good at the lineout and maul, but didn't provide much else and severely weakened the scrum on his side. Skelton was plodding around and didn't provide any impact at all. Yet somehow they keep Philip out of the side who has been consistently excellent all season.

The scrum is going to be a real issue also with Bell starting, Arnold behind him and Slipper on his non-preferred side. Expect KB to be hit with a barrage of high balls, of which he'll drop at least 30%, resulting in continual scrum penalties to England.
    Hopefully I'm wrong, but it could potentially get ugly....

vCash
    A video worth a look re Ollie Hoskins reaction at a team meeting, to being named on the team sheet. Wouldn't it be great if he scrums the joint down on Saturday. It's embedded in a WA Today article - not up on Youtube yet......

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/rug...12-p598dd.html

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chiraag View Post
    Yet somehow they keep Philip out of the side who has been consistently excellent all season.
    Agree with everything you said apart from this.

Phillip has been ordinary all season, made to look a lot better by the fact that he's been paired with blokes who have done less.

Timani was certainly stronger but less flashy, provided more power to the scrum and hit rucks consistently, how many caps did he see? one?

Rodda was average for him in his first game, but that was so much better than what has been shown before that he cemented his spot. with game time he's gotten sharper and now is deserving of the title International lock.

Arnold and Skelton maintaining a spot after last week can mean only one of two things.
    The coaching staff thing they were short of a run last week and they will show what they're capable of this week
    The coaching/selection staff are continuing the age old Rugby Australia selection policy "if he's big, he gets picked regardless of whether he can play the game"

Unfortunately my money is on 2, which means that, regardless of form we will see Arnold and Skelton get the start next match and Rodda will be lucky to see bench time, having been blamed for all the failings of the lineout.

Scrummaging will also be interesting to watch. Ollie WILL see some game time, Slipper won't go 80 at tighthead, so good luck to him. He has absolutely nothing to lose, having been in camp for 15 minutes and a debutante, so I really hope he tears it up. Tommy R might be a more interesting one to watch. He's in a different postcode to Bell from a scrummaging point of view, but there's a fair chance that Slipper will simply change sides and Tom will see little to no game time. Tom will need some time to build into the match, not being a first choice for his work in the loose. I reckon he'll see maybe 5 minutes at the death, probably after the scrum has been backpedaling for 75 minutes, everybody's knackered and they'll expect him to singlehandedly fix everything, when he fails to overcome a 7 man vacancy on his own, he will then be blamed for the scrum "falling apart when the replacements arrived" as opposed to the scrum being shite all match and the replacements not being given enough opportunity to fix it.

Front row is certainly the match to watch this week

C'mon the

vCash
    I would've definitely liked to see Timani get more of a look this season, but I guess his age counted against him.
    What I like about Philip is the sheer number of involvements he makes in all facets of the game - does his core job of rucks well, but also offers quite a lot in attack (presents the most out of any of our locks and generally makes it over the advantage line), makes a lot of tackles and is decent at line out, scrum and maul time. His discipline can be lacking at times though. I think he pairs well with a tighter lock like Rodda.
    Don't mind Arnold being in the 23, but really don't rate Skelton. Hopefully they both have great games and live up to the hype of their northern hemisphere club form.

I'm actually hopeful that Robbo might see a decent amount of game time. Bell will likely struggle at scrum time, so Robbo will likely have to come on to help in that area. I doubt they'd get Slipper to change sides given the bench named, but yeah, it could happen and would be disappointing.

vCash
    I guess in short, I can't say I'm confident that even the current coaching staff will avoid the mistakes of the past.

RE Skelton, it's rare for a lazy trainer to become and intrinsically motivated trainer, more typically the lazy trainer simply lands in an environment where somebody else holds them to account and they reap the benefits on the field. It's common for them to see the results, but not make the connection that this is occurring due to their being punished on the training track.

Skelton strikes me as the sort of bloke who won't run away from the environment hat is causing him to have success, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets into Wallabies camp and all the old bad habits return because he isn't being held accountable.

C'mon the

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    A video worth a look re Ollie Hoskins reaction at a team meeting, to being named on the team sheet. Wouldn't it be great if he scrums the joint down on Saturday. It's embedded in a WA Today article - not up on Youtube yet......

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/rug...12-p598dd.html
    great fairytale,I'm worried that when he gets on,he is going to targetted in the scrum big time-hope the message to him is "just hold up your side of the scrum son,don't worry about anything else"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    great fairytale,I'm worried that when he gets on,he is going to targetted in the scrum big time-hope the message to him is "just hold up your side of the scrum son,don't worry about anything else"
    On the positive side he has been playing against his opposing front rowers more often than the others in our team as he has been domiciled in England for the past five years and I am sure he knows what to expect from them.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    On the positive side he has been playing against his opposing front rowers more often than the others in our team as he has been domiciled in England for the past five years and I am sure he knows what to expect from them.
    Agree,but when it comes to the big dance,it is a huge step up-but good on him!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    great fairytale,I'm worried that when he gets on,he is going to targeted in the scrum big time-hope the message to him is "just hold up your side of the scrum son,don't worry about anything else"
    True, but with both TH's out the scrum is going to be a big focus for the enemy in any event. The positive for "our boy" is as Tazz says, he's got the runs on the board in the UK, even if Irish haven't exactly blazed a trail. Maybe, hopefully, he's improved as much as K Bomb did.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Is Ollie Hoskins West Australian born & bred?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Senior Player
    vCash
    I believe so, X, although his dad is a pom.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...12-p598gy.html

‘Amazing and surreal’: Emotional dad’s London dash to see son’s shock Wallabies debut
    Tom Decent

November 12, 2021 — 6.00pm

A phone call at 3am from a son or daughter is never a good thing. Or so thought Nick Hoskins.

Bleary-eyed in his Kuala Lumpur home, Hoskins rolled over and noticed his son Ollie was trying to call from London, where the former Western Force prop had moved to play in 2016.

“I was half asleep and panicking that something was wrong,” Hoskins snr told the Herald. “He just blurted everything out.”

On Sunday evening, London Irish prop Hoskins had been playing fantasy-fiction game Dungeons and Dragons with mates when he got told he might be needed to join the touring Wallabies squad due to injuries. The next morning, Hoskins was called again and rushed to training - and the 28-year-old had to tell someone.

“We yelled and screamed and cried,” said Hoskins snr. “Just to get into the Wallabies camp for him was the pinnacle. I’m so stoked for the boy.”

The news got better for the son of English parents, who grew up in Perth dreaming of representing the Wallabies.

Due to late withdrawals from tight-head props Taniela Tupou and Allan Alaalatoa due to concussions, Hoskins was on Thursday named on the bench for the Wallabies, to play against England at Twickenham on Sunday morning (ADST).

A touching video posted on Wallabies social media captured the moment team manager Chris Webb read out Hoskins’ name in the team meeting, and the burly prop couldn’t contain his emotions.

“I started crying in the team meeting to guys I only met a couple of days ago,” Hoskins said.

Unsurprisingly, Hoskins struggled to sleep on Thursday evening as his phone blew up.

“My phone hasn’t stopped buzzing, so I’m still awake,” Hoskins told the Herald on Friday. “I was at my friend’s house on Sunday night playing Dungeons and Dragons - I’m a massive nerd - and I had two missed calls from a random number. [Wallabies scrum coach Petrus du Plessis] then said I may need to go into camp the next day.

“I didn’t hear anything the next morning, so went to London Irish training and then I got ripped out of the gym at about 11am and was at the Lensbury (Hotel) 20 minutes later.”

Speaking from Kuala Lumpur, Nick Hoskins told the Herald he immediately hatched a plan to get to Twickenham to see his son’s Test debut. His wife, Jennifer, is already in London visiting her ill mother.

“The whole thing is amazing and surreal,” Hoskins snr said with a thick British accent. “I’m all over the place.

“From Malaysia it’s not easy. I was up at 5am going to the hospital to get my PCR test. It’s just been paperwork, paperwork, paperwork, making sure I can get on the flight. I arrive at 6am on Saturday UK time. Then down to the pub and straight to Twickenham. Ollie has got three tickets.

“If it’s his only cap ever, to play against England, who are my team, at Twickenham in front of 85,000 people ... it’s just absolutely mind-blowing.

“All he wanted to do is make it to the top and have one crack for Australia.”

Hoskins’ father not-so-secretly hoped his son would grow up wanting to don an England jersey but the prodigious youngster, captured by the Western Force academy at age 15, had his heart set on gold.

He and his two older brothers fell in love with rugby while watching their dad run out for the Curtin University Billy Goats.

Called in as emergency cover, due to a relaxation of eligibility laws this year, this is a feel-good tale that epitomises the phrase ‘right place, right time’.

“I’ve dreamt of this since I was five,” Hoskins wrote on Twitter. “For it to be here still doesn’t feel real. I’ll never forget this moment.”

Neither will his father, who was an emotional mess when he saw the video on the Wallabies social pages.

“I was in tears,” Hoskins snr said. “He is a 130kg beast but he has a huge heart on him. He’s not going to hide his emotion. I’m just looking forward to seeing him sing the national anthem and if that’s as much as he gets, it will be a memory forever. I’m going to lap up every second.”

Hoskins’ father said he was at Twickenham 37 years ago to witness Mark Ella steer Australia to a 19-3 victory over England on their famous 1984 grand slam tour.

“I’m hoping this will be a repeat, even though I hated it that day,” Hoskins snr said. “I think they could resurrect the spirit of 1984. I’ve had a lot of English friends ask me [who I will support] and the flippant remark was England by one point and Ollie to score a hat-trick [laughs]. In reality, it’s going to be all about Oliver. I’ll be yelling my bits off.

“Now I’ve got to buy some Wallabies paraphernalia apparently. The last time that happened was the under-20s World Cup in France. My wife made me wear one of Ollie’s training shirts, which was a bit tight. They scored and the camera panned around to me. I’m standing there screaming in a Wallabies shirt. Within two minutes, I was being pilloried as a traitor by a whole bunch of my friends.

“We’re a rugby mad family and the fact he has the chance to step on the field and actually play for the Wallabies is beyond his wildest dreams.

“Now on the bench as a Wallaby … it’s just the most surreal experience I’ve ever had.”

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    I do believe that Hoskins Senior types amongst us.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast