Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies vs All Blacks 2021 Match 3 Optus Stadium Perth 5 Sep 2021

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Wallabies vs All Blacks 2021 Match 3 Optus Stadium Perth 5 Sep 2021

There is just the one change from the All Blacks starting forward pack from the Bledisloe Cup-winning Test in Auckland last month, with lock Scott Barrett coming in for Samuel Whitelock in the second row. Patrick Tuipulotu has a tight groin which sees Tupou Vaa’i come onto the bench for his first Test of 2021. Ethan Blackadder also comes onto the bench as loose forward cover. Ardie Savea will captain the All Blacks for the first time at number eight.

In the backs, Brad Weber gets his second start at halfback in his 11th Test, with TJ Perenara to provide impact off the bench. Beauden Barrett is at first five-eighth [pictured left below] while Anton Lienert-Brown returns from injury at centre, outside David Havili. Rieko Ioane moves to the left wing, Will Jordan is on the right wing and Jordie Barrett is at fullback. Damian McKenzie and George Bridge are the other back reserves.

All Blacks Head Coach Ian Foster said: “We are ready, and the team is really determined to finish off this block of Tests against Australia with a top performance. We’ve had a really unique situation going into this Test, with quarantine back in New Zealand and a ‘soft’ quarantine here in Perth, but the work that has gone in preparing the players has been outstanding, so when the whistle goes on Sunday, we’ll be ready.”

Foster added: “In the forwards, we have picked a group that is most recently battle-hardened. A lot of them played in the first two Bledisloe Cup Tests, so it’s right to go with them in this Fortinet Rugby Championship Test.”

Commenting on the halfback selection, Foster said: “Brad has been with us through the Steinlager Series and coming into the Rugby Championship, we really wanted to build the nine combination, especially with Aaron not here and to complement TJ’s leadership and experience, so this is a great opportunity to put our faith in Brad to start the Test.”

Foster said the team was excited to be playing in front of a sell-out crowd in Perth this weekend.

“Perth has a great rugby culture and we know that there are a lot of Kiwis living here who will be at the game, so can’t wait to hear their support on Sunday.

“Covid has again forced so many changes this year and we especially think of cities like Dunedin and Wellington that have lost Test matches they had hoped and planned for, so it’s great to be able to celebrate having this Test match here in Perth,” he said.

1. George Bower (5),
    2. Codie Taylor (60),
    3. Nepo Laulala (33),
    4. Brodie Retallick (85),
    5. Scott Barrett (43),
    6. Akira Ioane (6),
    7. Dalton Papalii (7),
    8. Ardie Savea – captain (52),
    9. Brad Weber (10),
    10. Beauden Barrett (93),
    11. Rieko Ioane (39),
    12. David Havili (7),
    13. Anton Lienert-Brown (51),
    14. Will Jordan (6),
    15. Jordie Barrett (27)
    Replacements: 16. Samisoni Taukei’aho (3), 17. Karl Tu’inukuafe (20), 18. Angus Ta’avao (18), 19. Tupou Vaa’i (4), 20. Ethan Blackadder (2), 21. TJ Perenara (70), 22. Damian McKenzie (32), 23. George Bridge (12).
    =================

Wallabies coach Dave Rennie has selected Samu Kerevi at inside centre while Izack Rodda will make his return via the bench, in what will be their first appearances since the 2019 Rugby World Cup quarter-final in Japan nearly two years ago.

Folau Fainga’a is also set to play his first Test of 2021, named at hooker in an all-Brumbies front row alongside James Slipper and Allan Alaalatoa. The remaining forward pack is unchanged from Bledisloe Two with Matt Philip and Darcy Swain the second row combination, as the Wallabies look to win back-to-back Tests against New Zealand at home for the first time since 2008.

Michael Hooper will wear the number seven jersey and captain the side for the 58th time, just one behind the most decorated Wallabies captain, George Gregan. He’s joined in the backrow by the abrasive Lachlan Swinton at blindside flanker and powerful Rob Valetini at number 8.

After impressive outings at Eden Park, Tate McDermott will again be the starting scrumhalf, partnering fellow youngster Noah Lolesio in the halves for the third straight Test.

Kerevi will combine with Len Ikitau in the midfield at Optus Stadium, the venue of the Wallabies highest-ever points tally against New Zealand in the 47-26 victory in 2019. The back three also remains unchanged with Marika Koroibete set to play his 39th Test for Australia on the right wing with the in-form Andrew Kellaway on the left edge and the elusive Tom Banks at fullback.

Lachlan Lonergan will play in his first Bledisloe Cup Test as the reserve hooker, with Angus Bell brought back into the side as the replacement loosehead prop alongside Taniela Tupou who will share the minutes at tighthead. Rodda will be the replacement lock, while Brumbies backrower Pete Samu is also selected for his first International appearance this year as the backrow cover for the Father’s Day clash.

Wallabies coach Dave Rennie said: “It’s great to be able to call on the experience of Samu and Izack this weekend with Hunter and Lukhan leaving the group to be with their partners in what’s a really exciting time of their lives. Both Samu and Izack have worked really hard since joining the group, been positive additions and have earned their opportunity to pull on the gold jersey on Sunday afternoon at Optus Stadium."

“The past three weeks in Perth have given us a chance to train hard on the field, refresh off it and connect with the local community. We are excited about the chance to be back on home soil and put in a performance that all of our supporters can be proud of.”

1. James Slipper (105 Tests),
    2. Folau Fainga’a (16 Tests),
    3. Allan Alaalatoa (48 Tests),
    4. Darcy Swain (5 Tests),
    5. Matt Philip (14 Tests),
    6. Lachlan Swinton (3 Tests),
    7. Michael Hooper - captain (110 Tests),
    8. Rob Valetini (9 Tests),
    9. Tate McDermott (7 Tests),
    10. Noah Lolesio (7 Tests),
    11. Marika Koroibete (38 Tests),
    12. Samu Kerevi (33 Tests),
    13. Len Ikitau (4 Tests),
    14. Andrew Kellaway (4 Tests),
    15. Tom Banks (16 Tests)

Replacements: 16. Lachlan Lonergan (2 Tests), 17. Angus Bell (7 Tests), 18. Taniela Tupou (30 Tests), 19. Izack Rodda (25 Tests), 20. Pete Samu (10 Tests), 21. Nic White (37 Tests), 22. Reece Hodge (48 Tests), 23. Jordan Petaia (9 Tests)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Exile
    Sydney

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I think this game has been the worst display of rugby from the Wallabies I have seen in a very long time.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I think this game has been the worst display of rugby from the Wallabies I have seen in a very long time.
    Keystone Cops V SWAT.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    at the age of over 70 ,I reckon i could still do longer line kicks than the current muppet!

vCash
    That first half was utter trash from the Wallabies and the second half wasn't much better despite 3 tries.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    they should give QC a go against the Boks,Noah ,apart from a few glimpses,showed little

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Exile
    Sydney

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I appreciate Lolesio has to develop, but one of the good things about Hodge is that he is no frills. We need to play safer a lot of the time, but instead the ball goes wide and we lose it at the breakdown or it gets intercepted. We can't beat the All Blacks by playing them at their own game. Play tight, play direct and frustrate them into mistakes. Hodge is good because he doesn't necessarily achieve much, but he doesn't muck everything up either.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I appreciate Lolesio has to develop, but one of the good things about Hodge is that he is no frills. We need to play safer a lot of the time, but instead the ball goes wide and we lose it at the breakdown or it gets intercepted. We can't beat the All Blacks by playing them at their own game. Play tight, play direct and frustrate them into mistakes. Hodge is good because he doesn't necessarily achieve much, but he doesn't muck everything up either.
    Agree. Ball security and ball retention is key.

Champion
    vCash
    Total lack of the smarts.
    How many times has Korobiete had a try disallowed or been penalized for crawling. Missed tackles, intercepts, loss of ball in contact, lack of clearing out...years ago the openside was major pilferer ( Poey) the Backs pilfered more at the breakdown for the AB's yesterday than their own loosies.

When their numbers in back three are down to 2 for 20 minutes - blind Freddy would suggest you change game plan to one of territory and kicking.

For Banks to miss the kick - should have been dragged. Lolesio to miss the penalty in front - should have dragged him. Those are key moments.

My criticism is to the leadership on the field to change tactics and demand commitment.

Player
    vCash
    I think our problem is our defenders can’t attack and our attackers can’t defend. Or is it the reverse?

Player
    vCash
    Apart from the Under 12 blunders and woeful breakdown my biggest disappointment was the lack of competitiveness from the start …. Not many positives there .

vCash
    I thought Hodge looked good at ten, but perhaps that was just comparitive to the guy he replaced. Lolesio probably needs more rugby before being given a gold shirt.

I quietly hoped Rodda would have a blinder after taking the field but he didn't look much better or worse. The locks have been so uncompetitive that there really isn't anything to lose.

C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

All Blacks star has divisive red card overturned

The All Blacks have had a win at the Sanzaar judiciary, with fullback Jordie Barrett not only escaping further sanction for his red card in Sunday's Rugby Championship clash against the Wallabies in Perth, but having the indiscretion expunged from his record.

Barrett was sent off by Australian referee Damon Murphy in the 28th minute of the All Blacks' 38-21 Bledisloe Cup/Rugby Championship win over the Wallabies in Perth on Sunday evening. In leaping to catch a high ball, he had ended up striking Australia winger Marika Koroibete in the face with his boot.

The 24-year-old faced the judiciary on Tuesday night, and could have missed the remainder of the Rugby Championship had the hearing upheld Murphy's on-field ruling. A Sanzaar release on Wednesday confirmed Barrett was found not guilty of contravening law 9.11: Players must not do anything that is reckless or dangerous to others.

The release said no further punishment would be imposed on Barrett who had looked shocked to be given his marching orders at the time. In the aftermath the All Blacks came out forcefully in his defence and said they strongly contest the charge.

In his finding, the judicial committee chair Robert Stelzner said it was clear Barrett's act was neither dangerous nor reckless.

"He legitimately went up in the air to collect a high ball, when in trying to regain his balance on the downward trajectory, his boot inadvertently made contact with his opponent's head," said Stelzner via a Sanzaar release.

"The accidental nature of the incident led the judicial committee to find that there was no intentional nor reckless act of dangerous play, with the result that the red card is expunged from the player's record."

Coach Ian Foster said after the game he had been "pretty surprised" that Barrett had been given a red card and that they would put together a case to challenge any further punishment.

"He just lost balance and you could see he tilted, and you could see what happened," said Foster. "I feel for the refs in situations like this. Technically they saw things and they make their decisions. I get all that. Now we've got a chance to sit down and analyse it, we'll have a good couple of conversations."

All Blacks defence coach Scott McLeod confirmed on Monday they would strongly go to bat for Barrett at the Sanzaar hearing.

"There are some mitigating circumstances from our side, so we will put forward a case."

Asked what those mitigating circumstances were, McLeod said: "Being in the air. He won the space in the air, and in previous cases the person that's done that, everyone else underneath has to look after that person there, or be aware of that."

The decision will come as a huge relief to the All Blacks camp, with the limited numbers they have on tour. Given the difficulties of getting replacement players in (they must do a two-week hard quarantine in Queensland) any suspension could have potentially put them in a tight spot with their backline contingent.

Such was the contentious nature of the incident that one of the country's top refereeing officials told Stuff he and his comrades weren't on the same page when discussing the incident between themselves.

"We were backwards and forwards after that game, and to be honest we were 50:50 on it," the referee said, in reference to whether it should have been a red card, or just play on.

"We all came to the conclusion that you can't yellow card it, because that's just a soft option out."

Found it here

Exile
    Sydney

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast