Thread: Cooper is back in the starting side

vCash

Cooper is back in the starting side

The wait is reportedly over - Quade Cooper is set to make his return to the Wallabies step up on Sunday against the Springboks.

The Wallabies will name their squad on Friday with Cooper set to be named at flyhalf for Sunday’s clash at CBUS Super Stadium.

Cooper last pulled on the jersey in 2017, coming off the bench during the Wallabies 40-27 win over Italy in Brisbane.

The 33-year-old was initial brought into the squad as injury cover, with travel restrictions limiting replacements with James O’Connor still recovering from a groin injury.

Speaking to media last week, Cooper admitted he had little expectation about whether he would play or not, looking to soak up vital knowledge before heading back to Japan.

“That hasn’t been a focus for me. I haven’t come in thinking ‘I just have to play a Test’ for me coming in here is been about learning,” he said.

“The things I’ve been able to learn and whether I go back to Japan after this game, the Rugby Championship I’m not 100% sure but I’ll have a wealth of knowledge footballing in terms of what I’ve been able to learn and gain about myself being back in this environment.

“The level of skill, training that we’ve been at, I haven’t had that for four years since I was last in a Wallabies squad.

“It hasn’t been a focus of mine to come in just play games. If I can grow as a man, grow as a rugby player and take that back to Japan and pass that onto other people, that’s a great reward for myself.

“That’s where my focus is at, anything else is bonuses along the way on this journey.”

Former Wallaby Lote Tuqiri backed calls for Cooper to start, believing it will assist in the development of Noah Lolesio following a tough series against the All Blacks.

“I’ve always liked Quade Cooper,” the former winger said on Thursday.

“He’s in the squad, he’s been in and around that time for a while … I’m not saying Noah Lolesio is not the option, (but) Noah probably needs a bit of a rest at the moment.

“He’s only a young guy. Feeling that constant pressure each week can get a bit tough. He’s only young in his Wallabies career, so give him a week or two off and let Quade take some of these games.

“He can help take the pressure off (Lolesio) and then Noah can come take over probably for the last couple of games – that’s what I’d do.”

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/quade-...PGDNdLXMHFs2GM

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    #FU ARU
    "May I assure you I have just begun to fight mate" Twiggy Forrest, 05/09/17

vCash
    Confirmed Cooper starting with Rodda and at long last Kaitu'u off the bench

Wallabies team to play South Africa at Cbus Super Stadium, Gold Coast on Sunday 12 September, 8:05pm AEST
    1. Angus Bell (8 Tests)

2. Folau Fainga’a (17 Tests)

3. Allan Alaalatoa (49 Tests)

4. Izack Rodda (26 Tests)

5. Matt Philip (15 Tests)

6. Lachlan Swinton (4 Tests)

7. Michael Hooper (c) (111 Tests)

8. Rob Valetini (10 Tests)

9. Tate McDermott (8 Tests)

10. Quade Cooper (70 Tests)

11. Marika Koroibete (39 Tests)

12. Samu Kerevi (34 Tests)

13. Len Ikitau (5 Tests)

14. Andrew Kellaway (5 Tests)

15. Tom Banks (17 Tests)

Replacements

16. Feleti Kaitu’u*

17. James Slipper (106 Tests)

18. Taniela Tupou (31 Tests)

19. Rob Leota*

20. Pete Samu (11 Tests)

21. Nic White (38 Tests)

22. Reece Hodge (49 Tests)

23. Jordan Petaia (10 Tests)

*denotes uncapped

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Champion
    vCash
    Great for Kaitu'u hope he goes well.. I really think we need another option to Banks at 15 or at least have him on the bench not starting..

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!